PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to do Mac OS Finder tasks?

rccharles
June 21st, 2011, 02:26 AM
Tried to use Ubuntu 11.4 to assist in recovering a windows xp system. Ran from cd without installing. Failure.

Could not find Windows hd. How do I list all storage media. Where is the Mac OS Finder/Windows explorer?

Could not find Terminal. Ran search, but seems limited to just your user data. How do I do a search for the terminal applications.

Did get some worthless display of all installed programs, but could not launch application.

Is there a way of switching the old User Interface from the running from CD version?

Robert

Larkspur
June 21st, 2011, 03:16 AM
Could not find Windows hd. How do I list all storage media. Where is the Mac OS Finder/Windows explorer?

Either click the top icon on the launcher bar or hold Super+1. The file browser will open; on the left hand side will be a list which will have the windows hd in it. Click to mount it.

Could not find Terminal. Ran search, but seems limited to just your user data. How do I do a search for the terminal applications.

Press the Super key and start typing "terminal". Press enter or click on the icon when it appears.

Is there a way of switching the old User Interface from the running from CD version?

Robert

Press Alt+F2. Type "gnome-panel". A new panel with a conventional menu appears.

rccharles
September 2nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks.

How would I go about changing back to the old GUI in 11.4 ?

Robert