PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot question for USB and card reader using Ubuntu

gurgsnekr
June 21st, 2011, 01:58 AM
Hello,

I am working on an idea but I need to bounce it off others. I did not know what forum to ask this so I decided to start here.

My bios does not support booting to a card reader but it does support booting to a USB. I was wondering if it is possible to boot to the USB into a DOS environment then run Ubuntu from the card reader. If so, would it be possible to remove the USB stick?

I know, it sounds kind of weird :D.

Thanks
gurgsnekr

vader95
June 21st, 2011, 02:17 AM
I don't know why you would want to do this instead of just using a live USB, but you might be able to get to grub from the usb and try to use it to boot into ubuntu from the card reader.

gurgsnekr
June 21st, 2011, 03:17 AM
Hey Vader,

Thanks for the response.

The hard drive on my netbook broke just over a week ago. I removed it and switched to using a Live USB. It works great and I am loving it but I am getting worried about the USB stick. It physically sticks out and I am afraid it is going to break off no matter how careful I am with it.

Back in the Windows 98 era, it was not uncommon to boot to a DOS environment via floppy before booting into Windows 98. I got to thinking about this and thought it might be possible to do something similar. Boot to a USB in a DOS environment or similar then switch to the card reader and boot to Ubuntu from there.

If I can find a way to boot to the card reader I can stop worrying about the USB stick and give me more options.

vader95
June 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
Perhaps if you use grub from the flash drive and then chainload to the card reader.