PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] XFCE - newbie questions

hashcode
June 21st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Hello I am new to XFCE and I'd like to ask few question about usage:

1. How can I disable dragging windows through workspaces? I like them to stay at one.
2. How do you configure startup applications?
3. Why XFCE menu doesn't show some of my custom icons? (png, tried more than one, for custom launcher - eclipse)

EDIT:
4. How do I add custom keyboard? (ALT+SHIFT switching)
5. I restarted laptop and all my applications re-opened after restart. I do not want that. How to disable this?

Thank you!

Toz
June 21st, 2011, 12:25 AM
Hello I am new to XFCE and I'd like to ask few question about usage:
Welcome to XFCE.

1. How can I disable dragging windows through workspaces? I like them to stay at one.
Goto the Settings Manager->Window Manager->Advanced Tab and uncheck the 2 wrap checkboxes in the Wrap Workspaces section.

2. How do you configure startup applications?
Settings Manager->Session and Startup->Application Autostart

3. Why XFCE menu doesn't show some of my custom icons? (png, tried more than one, for custom launcher - eclipse)If you're referring to changing the panel launcher icon, then right-click the launcher and select "Properties". Click the lowest right button ("Edit the currently selected item"), left-click the icon button, and change the "Select icon from" dropdown from "Application icons" to "Image files", then search for it.

If you are referring to a menu entry, then you need to make the change to the appropriate .desktop file in /usr/share/applications

hashcode
June 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM
1. thanks, works
2. thanks, works
3. I do not have eclipse.desktop in /usr/share/applications

Should I create it?

// thanks for comments so far, I made little edit

Toz
June 21st, 2011, 01:14 AM
How did you install eclipse?

hashcode
June 21st, 2011, 06:56 AM
How did you install eclipse?

I just downloaded, extracted it and made link in /usr/bin, so shell knows "eclipse"

nzjethro
June 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM
4. How do I add custom keyboard? (ALT+SHIFT switching)

Open Settings > Keyboard > Layout tab. Uncheck "Use system defaults". Click "Add", then find your keyboard layout (I use USA Dvorak). Not sure how to change between layouts with ALT + Shift, maybe look around for a command to change layouts, then bind that to a key combination.

5. I restarted laptop and all my applications re-opened after restart. I do not want that. How to disable this?

When you log out, uncheck the box that says "Save session for future logins".

hashcode
June 21st, 2011, 07:36 AM
4. I added layout but still don't know how to change it :(
5. nice, thanks

nzjethro
June 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM
4. I added layout but still don't know how to change it :(

Ok, I had a look, and I think what you want is a plugin called xfce-xkb-plugin, found here (http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-xkb-plugin#xfce-4.2). Try installing that, then adding it to a panel, to easily allow you to switch between layouts. :)

hashcode
June 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM
OK it works now thank you :)

Toz
June 21st, 2011, 11:50 AM
I just downloaded, extracted it and made link in /usr/bin, so shell knows "eclipse"

Ok. Eclipse also exists in the repositories. If you had installed it through the software centre, it would have created the menu entry for you. Anyways, here is the eclipse desktop file:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Eclipse
Comment=Integrated Development Environment
Exec=/usr/bin/eclipse
Icon=eclipse48.png
Terminal=false
MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Development;
StartupNotify=true

Save it as /usr/share/applications/eclipse.desktop

mlnease
October 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Hello,

Settings Manager->Session and Startup->Application AutostartI don't seem to have 'Settings Manager' in my applications menu. Is it something I need to install, or...?

Thanks (anyone) in advance.

scania_gti
October 25th, 2011, 10:42 PM
If you don't see "settings manager" jus go to "session and startup".

Toz
October 25th, 2011, 10:51 PM
On the main menu, select the Settings submenu and you should see it there.

mlnease
October 25th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Of course--thanks (both)!