PDA

View Full Version : Why not tell live user the login info?

SeePU
June 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Pet peeve here!

Why doesn't Ubuntu and others give the user who is trying the live cd or dvd out the login info?!?

If someone is just trying it out and you have to log in or become root, unless you know the drill, one is wondering WTF?!?

This is most annoying.

Ubuntu's is username, 'ubuntu' (lowercase 'u') and password is blank but how is ANYONE supposed to know this?!?

I believe there were distros (not sure if they still do it) would give the user the info (username is: etc.) so it was very easy.

These devs know you don't need security when it's just a live version, right?!? Geeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz...

P.S. Mint does the same darn thing!

sffvba[e0rt
June 20th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I've never needed the user name and password in the live environment before... if I was ever asked for a password for root I would just leave it blank... worked like a charm...

forrestcupp
June 20th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Anyone who is savvy enough to need and use root on the live CD is capable of finding out how to do it, just like you were.

3Miro
June 20th, 2011, 11:49 PM
From a LiveCD, sudo works without a password. I don't think you can run the regular Desktop LiveCD without graphical environment.

Alternate install is for advanced users only.

dirty_harry
June 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM
Why doesn't Ubuntu and others give the user who is trying the live cd or dvd out the login info?!?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD#Logging%20in
tells you more :)

scientifc-linux-live_4.9 ask for a password and knoppix prompts it on tty1; gentoo and others used to auto-scramble the root-pass; don't know now adays, but I think debian does something like this for security reason in live-cds.