PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Panel background for Ambiance

tpprynn
June 20th, 2011, 09:58 PM
[As of 11.10 this no longer works...]

I have 99% kicked a terrible theme-tweaking habit, but having just begun using 11.04 I think this panel background, with its smooth gradient, gives the default theme a lift, especially on displays that aren't very flattering to the original background like my laptop's. This panel.bg file, dumped in my Ubuntu One storage and linked here, goes in usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-2.0/apps/img (press alt F2, type

gksu nautilus

and enter your password and then navigate there) and you might want to c&p somewhere the one that's there first in case you disagree with me... You need to reboot or login to see the change of course.

It was made from cropping a screenshot of the Ambiance window border and then turning it upside down.

http://ubuntuone.com/p/10J3/

jerrrys
June 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM
fell off the wagon did ya? how bout fixing that screenshot...

tpprynn
June 23rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Rather than a screenshot, what I linked there is the panel background. If you right-click and save it as panel.bg it's then fit for use as described. I'm not sure it would be worth putting an actual screenshot in as it mightn't look as good as it would when actually on a user's desktop as their panel.

I expect there are better ways to do this but as entries in this forum category are moderated I was unable to edit my post.

(I've now added a screenshot bg.png here.)