PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu freezes when ejecting USB devices

unitshift
June 20th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Hi there,

I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.04 and it has been running fairly smoothly thusfar (despite some unity niggles here and there). I have, however been running into a bit of a problem following an update.

Whenever I eject (safely remove) any usb device from my machine, Ubuntu simply freezes. I can't to anything to get it out of this freeze except hard shutdown/restart and it happens every single time I safely remove or eject a usb device from the laptop. When it crashes, my CapsLock indicator light starts blinking and for some reason the laptop starts heating up because the fan starts running higher and higher as if I'm running a very resource hungry application. (I'm pretty sure the heat has caused battery damage as the laptop is less than a year old and after this issue started happening frequently Ubuntu has suddenly started giving me warnings that the battery capacity is down to 40% and that the battery might be damaged, but that's another story).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

sanderd17
June 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM
For the battery damage, I always remove my battery when I'm not carrying my computer around. So you might want to do that when testing to prevent further damage.

As a test, could you press CTRL+ALT+F1 when you get it. I hope you see a terminal and can log in. run the command

to see what is causing the trouble. kill it by pressing 'k' and enter the pid