PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommended Graphics card to work with Lucid 10.04

Sablewings
June 20th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Last month I installed a newer MoBo + CPU and PSU, (See system specs in my signature) and moved from Maverick to Lucid 10.04.

I was running Natty 11.04 64bit up until a couple of days ago, but that was locking up like mad. I did a fresh install of 10.04 over the whole HDD yesterday...though cannot recall it asking me if I wanted 32 or 64bit...will neeed to check)

I'm using an ATI Radeon (Sapphire?) x1650 PRO graphics card - but borrowed from a friend as my previous card wouldn't fit in the upgrade motherboard. Ubuntu is running quite fast with it but often stutters when on Firefox or Chrome. With Natty the system would lock up at least once an hour, with Lucid - at the moment it's only locked up once in 6 hours... I'm assuming this is just problems with Ubuntu and not the card. I get no odd lines or colour on the screen.

I'll need to give this card back at some point... I'm wondering if people could suggest other cards (Nvidia/ATI or other) that are known to work happily with Ubuntu 10.04. I've got a budget of around £40, but then I'm not gaming so guess shouldn't need anything too high spec. (My PSU has a PCI-E connector if needed...though doubt it will be!)

I use my machine for internet and photo editing (sometimes RAW photo files,) playing music, bit of word processing and playing the occasional DVD.

Thanks all :)

coffeecat
June 20th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I'll give you a choice of two cards, one nvidia and one ATI, both of which I've used with Lucid, and which both work well, and both of which should come in well under £40.

Nvidia: GeForce 8400GS. Gives you compiz with the nvidia proprietary driver.

ATI: Radeon HD4350. Gives you compiz with the default open source ATI driver.

Both of mine are passively cooled and hence silent. If that's important to you, you should be able to find passively cooled versions.

By the way, both work well with Natty/11.04 giving me compiz/Unity with the proprietary nvidia and open source ATI driver respectively. The locking in Natty that you saw might have been due to your graphics card, so if you get either of the ones I've suggested, give the live Natty CD a run to see if it works better.

Good luck!

Sablewings
June 25th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll shop around soon. :)

My computer's not locked up in 4 days...touch wood it'll be okay on 10.04 with updates for a while...

poliltimmy
July 1st, 2011, 06:12 PM
I'll give you a choice of two cards, one nvidia and one ATI, both of which I've used with Lucid, and which both work well, and both of which should come in well under £40.

Nvidia: GeForce 8400GS. Gives you compiz with the nvidia proprietary driver.

ATI: Radeon HD4350. Gives you compiz with the default open source ATI driver.

Both of mine are passively cooled and hence silent. If that's important to you, you should be able to find passively cooled versions.

By the way, both work well with Natty/11.04 giving me compiz/Unity with the proprietary nvidia and open source ATI driver respectively. The locking in Natty that you saw might have been due to your graphics card, so if you get either of the ones I've suggested, give the live Natty CD a run to see if it works better.

Good luck!

I sure would like to know how you got the 8400GS to work with the proprietary driver. As I get a blank screen on restart. Had to install the Kernel first just to get a basic desktop. GUI install locked the activity indicter in the upper left corner.

coffeecat
July 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
I sure would like to know how you got the 8400GS to work with the proprietary driver. As I get a blank screen on restart. Had to install the Kernel first just to get a basic desktop. GUI install locked the activity indicter in the upper left corner.

I simply installed the driver from Jockey (Additional/Hardware Drivers app). It's worked with Lucid, Maverick and Natty. I have a relative running Lucid with the identical card - works just fine on that machine as well.

Sorry, but I don't know what to suggest.