PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question: Update via CD

The Wagster
June 20th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I have Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope running on my home PC (dual boot with Win XP) and have received notification that this will no longer be supported and I should upgrade to 11.04. I have a slow and costly internet connection at home and don't want to download the upgrade directly onto my computer there.

Is it possible to download the upgrade somewhere else and burn to a CD to run in my home computer? I see I can do this for a new install but was wondering if it is possible for an upgrade?

Thanks for your help.

Wagster

ajgreeny
June 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM
You can not upgrade from Jaunty to Natty in one go, so I don't think it is worth even considering as an option for you. If you wnat to ever consider upgrading using a CD in future you will need to download the alternate install CD, as far as I'm aware, as the live CD will not work that way.

So I recommend that you backup all your /home folder/partition including all the hidden files and folders, do a clean install of either 10.04 LTS or 11.04. Personally, I would use the 10.04 version, but I will leave you to make up your own mind on that. See what you think of natty's unity interface, and if you like what you see and read about it, try it.

When you do this new, clean install, if you have not already got a separate /home partition, I very strongly recommend that you make one this time. See this link Separate home at install. (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installseparatehome) for the details.

The Wagster
June 20th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Okay. Thanks for your help. I'll have a read about the differences between Lucid and Natty before I decide what to go for. The home area sounds useful so will definitely create one this time.

Thanks again.

Wagster