PDA

View Full Version : Launchpad bounties

unbuntu
May 18th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Hi,

I see there are many such on launchpad.net. I'm wondering since they are not initiated by the Ubuntu team, would such projects included in Ubuntu once they are implemented?

tribaal
May 18th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Yes.
Actually the bounty is there to stimulate programmers to give code that fixes a particular issue, and then the patch is put into the package, and the package gets downloaded by people through apt-get ;)

It's a nice way to attract freelance programmers, too, since you can make a little money out of it, on top of helping a bunch of people out.

Hope this answers your concern.

- trib'

Belathor
May 27th, 2006, 10:21 PM
How do you had to the dollar value of a bounty? Being able to add other peoples contributions seems like it would be a great way to create larger bounties for developers, hopefully leading to faster development of software, as well being able to attract more developers to open-source. It would be nice if there was an ebay like site for open-source bounty projects where you could run up the bounties for desired applications. (of course it would stay open-source) Just a thought, since I was unable to find this feature in Launchpad. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Thanks!

Mathias-K
May 27th, 2006, 11:18 PM
How do you had to the dollar value of a bounty? Being able to add other peoples contributions seems like it would be a great way to create larger bounties for developers, hopefully leading to faster development of software, as well being able to attract more developers to open-source. It would be nice if there was an ebay like site for open-source bounty projects where you could run up the bounties for desired applications. (of course it would stay open-source) Just a thought, since I was unable to find this feature in Launchpad. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Thanks!

I think an easy way for adding a couple of dollars to your arch-hated bug would be nice.

Launchpad has progressed really far since i first saw it in late '05. I think such a feature could be made.

curuxz
May 27th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Kinda like a donation bucket for the community to buy needed software.

I think its a really cool idea, tho I would wonder would certain developers hold back finished products waiting for the bounty to rise ?

Belathor
May 28th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Kinda like a donation bucket for the community to buy needed software.

I think its a really cool idea, tho I would wonder would certain developers hold back finished products waiting for the bounty to rise ?

Good point. However, if set up right I doubt how much problem that will be because if one developer holds out, someone else will beat him to the punch.