PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to repair Update Manager?

Dave Reynolds
June 19th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have Ubuntu 11.04 on an AMD64 machine (HP Pavilion DM1). It worked fine for a while but recently any time I try to invoke the Update Manager I get:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_bina ry-amd64_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I have had some incidents of being unable to resume after sleep (until I disabled the catalyst driver) so possibly in one of those that file got hosed.

Is there some way to repair this?

Dave

ashok.joglekar
June 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I have Ubuntu 11.04 on an AMD64 machine (HP Pavilion DM1). It worked fine for a while but recently any time I try to invoke the Update Manager I get:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_bina ry-amd64_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I have had some incidents of being unable to resume after sleep (until I disabled the catalyst driver) so possibly in one of those that file got hosed.

Is there some way to repair this?

Dave
I am also having exactly same problem

Jogy

TheDoctorX
June 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
maybe is your connection ... try to see if it's ok... if it's ok backup your files and reinstall ubuntu ... for this things is the only real solution ...

dino99
June 19th, 2011, 02:55 PM
clean the system might help

sudo apt-get autoremove

or at last remove the conflicting package seen into the path

Dave Reynolds
June 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM
TheDoctorX: Thanks for the advice. Connection is fine. Hoping not to have to do a full re-install.

dino99: Thanks, sudo apt-get autoremove just gives a similar error message and aborts.

Looking at the file it seems the update must have tried to run when I was behind a hotel paywall, the package list contains a very messed up web page with bits of hotel sign-in html screens in it :( Does apt not verify the format of the lists it fetches?

In the end tried "sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists/*.* ~/tmp", that allowed Update Manager to run enough to download new cached package lists. Result looks promising but not sure if this is just storing up problems for the future.

Dave

Rubi1200
June 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
In future, you can use these commands to deal with the problem:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get update

Dave Reynolds
June 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM
In future, you can use these commands to deal with the problem:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get update

Thanks. Happy now I know those files can be rebuild if they missing.

Dave