PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite smartphone operating system

linuxsyst
June 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM
What smartphone operating systems do you use
that you've got installed.
And which you like?
Also write multiple you can have more than 1.
multiboot or uboot.

Nyromith
June 19th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Nokia S30. The smarter the phone, the more stupid is it's user.

linuxsyst
June 19th, 2011, 12:20 PM
but I was asking the OS not the smartphone model

youbuntu
June 19th, 2011, 12:41 PM
iOS. No contest. The best.

I love how you ask this on a Linux forum, where people are going to be blindly biased toward the fact that Android contains the kernel...

Nyromith
June 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM
but I was asking the OS not the smartphone model
Nokia S30 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_30_(software_platform)) is the OS for the most basic and cheap phones from this company.

Paqman
June 19th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Nokia S30. The smarter the phone, the more stupid is it's user.

Nice day for a (s)troll?

TheSuperSteve
June 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
iOS! Ever since getting my first iPod touch, i've been continually amazed by the usefulness of these tiny computers. That first purchase was the best i've made in a long time and it lead to me buying an iPad and a new iPod and... and... now i have Mac Envy! XD

iOS. No contest. The best.

Right on, brotha!

linuxsyst
June 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
OK then sorry I didn't know that (-:

linuxsyst
June 19th, 2011, 01:36 PM
iOS! Ever since getting my first iPod touch, i've been continually amazed by the usefulness of these tiny computers. That first purchase was the best i've made in a long time and it lead to me buying an iPad and a new iPod and... and... now i have Mac Envy! XD

Right on, brotha!
I dont get what is good in apple (itunes)
and most in ipod!

chegarty
June 19th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I don't like mobile OS in general since all of the major players (or device manufacturers or wireless carriers in some cases) seem to be pushing mobile OS toward a profoundly walled-off user experience.

iOS has been very commercially successful. I like iOS almost as much as Richard Stallman does. :p

My biggest worry with Android is that Google hasn't released the source for 3.x. There are several other problems, especially gaping security holes, that do need to be addressed.

I like WP7 because it seems like Microsoft is at least trying to win over the dev community. Maybe it's the novelty of seeing Microsoft as an underdog, but I'm sure that feeling will pass. Remember how much money MSFT sunk into XBox before it became profitable?

I use AOSP builds of Android, and it performs adequately. I really do wish Maemo caught on, though. The N900 was one helluva device.

Cheers!

AeroZak
June 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I Love my android phone to death, but I have also had the iOS.

The iOS looks more polished overall, but in my opinion, it needs to be jailbroken to have any fun. It runs very smoothly no matter what is running, because Apple designed it to have limitations with what it does, so there is never a lag (unless it is jailbroken, then these limitations can be broken.)

The Android OS has no reason to be rooted (android version of jailbreak), because it's already so open, but it does have it's advantages when it is done. However unlike the iPhone, it can lag sometimes.

After using both of these, I think they are nearly identical besides a small few things. iPhone has more Apps and looks better, but the Droid is more open, friendly, and customisable. Other than that, they both play music, movies, pictures, apps, etc.

And even though the iPhone still has iTunes, the Android can also use iTunes. There are many converters/apps to use with the Android if you still want to use iTunes. I have a Droid and still have used iTunes through the whole time.

Like I said, I've used both and in my opinion the only major difference between the two is how they look.

Donalt2010
June 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM
HTC Desire rooted and flashed with MIUI at the minute. gingervillain is also very smooth and very nice to look at, runs super quick!! Also tried Leedroid ages ago and liked it...Theres loads of different roms to choose from when it comes to an Android phone, one of the good advantages of having one..

BrokenKingpin
June 20th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Maemo. I was hoping MeGoo would take off, but at this point I do not think it will.

RiceMonster
June 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I'm going to say iOS because I've got an iPhone, and I like it a lot.

I like Android too though, and I may get an Android phone when I want to upgrade, because I like to switch it up and give things a fair chance.

Macskeeball
June 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Which mobile OS is my favorite? Hard to say. As with non-mobile OSes, each has advantages and disadvantages.

I'm trying to become a technology journalist, so it's critical that I have a solid understanding of modern mobile devices. Unfortunately, smartphone monthly fees are too expensive so I chose an iPod touch. There didn't seem to be a noteworthy direct competitor in the US. My iPod isn't perfect, but it's a huge leap over what I had before, which was a 2nd gen iPod nano and an LG enV2 (a Verizon messaging phone, which I still use). It is, after all, a (jailbroken) pocket computer.

However, Android would've also been a huge leap. I've heard a lot about Android from daily and weekly tech news podcasts, several different Android-specific podcasts, and the Google I/O keynotes. On another site, I've written thoroughly about Android's advantages over iOS. They both have advantages over each other. I'd like more hands-on time with Android, and will consider it again when I eventually replace the iPod. Also, I've heard some nice things about Windows Phone 7 and WebOS.

It's amazing how so much computing power now fits in a pocket. We've come a long way from the ENIAC.

PCaddicted
June 20th, 2011, 09:34 PM
This poll should also contain the option "I don't use a smartphone".

CharlesA
June 20th, 2011, 10:51 PM
This poll should also contain the option "I don't use a smartphone".
Added that for you. ;)

I am liking Android so far.

whatthefunk
June 20th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Smart phones are an epic waste of time and money. I like stupid phones that only know how to call and text.

JonM33
June 20th, 2011, 11:23 PM
This a Linux distro forum so go figure what will be the most used. I doubt there are very many Apple fanatics posting here.

CharlesA
June 21st, 2011, 12:51 AM
This a Linux distro forum so go figure what will be the most used. I doubt there are very many Apple fanatics posting here.
You'd be surprised. There are many people who use Mac or Windows and post here.

Spr0k3t
June 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM

You are technically correct there. When you look at the numbers though Android is the fastest growing/adopted smartphone OS. Pull up the numbers that are tracked by Nielsen. As of May, Android phones make up about 37% of all smartphones, iOS phones only hit 26% (falling from last month), and WP7 phones still barely even make a glimmer of hope with their yet to change from the 1% marketshare (even though Nielson is being generous by lumping WP7 phones in with prior WP6 groups). WebOS (Palm) and Symbian are still getting pounded into the ~3% sectors most commonly referred to as Other. I also wouldn't doubt that RIM will be nothing more than a memory in two years after being swallowed up by some larger conglomerate in an effort to save another's failed attempt at spearheading the market. Much like Skype, executives heads will more than likely roll fast.

linuxsyst
October 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM
You are technically correct there. When you look at the numbers though Android is the fastest growing/adopted smartphone OS. Pull up the numbers that are tracked by Nielsen. As of May, Android phones make up about 37% of all smartphones, iOS phones only hit 26% (falling from last month), and WP7 phones still barely even make a glimmer of hope with their yet to change from the 1% marketshare (even though Nielson is being generous by lumping WP7 phones in with prior WP6 groups). WebOS (Palm) and Symbian are still getting pounded into the ~3% sectors most commonly referred to as Other. I also wouldn't doubt that RIM will be nothing more than a memory in two years after being swallowed up by some larger conglomerate in an effort to save another's failed attempt at spearheading the market. Much like Skype, executives heads will more than likely roll fast.
you are right I have WP7 though and it is quite good but also bad People don't buy WP7 phones because there aren't alot of then most Android phones are HTC i like HTC alot but Samsung is good cause it has Amoled display and people buy it popular phone now is Samsung Galaxy Ace Apple products had Amoled display Samsung was making Amoled for apple but not anymore cause Apple said they can't make those phones now and (like their) in USA and some other countries. Most popular OS (mobile) is Android problem in WP7 is it dosen't have Skype SSH client's can't send wifi (tetering) so iOS personally I don't like alot of reasons ill post later.

huggs
October 8th, 2011, 11:18 PM
HTC HD2 with modified (not Cyanogenmod either, I mean modified) version of Android 2.3.1 flashed to NAND, and 2.3.5 with HTC Sense version 3.5 running from SD card, both VNC into XUbuntu which is also on the SD card. Phone came stock with Windows Mobile 6.5, which IMHO is 10X better than WinPhone7, which the HD2 is also capable of running.

I'm a pretty serious phone geek lol

jcolyn
October 9th, 2011, 02:38 AM
I have used both IOS and Android. Both are fine but I am currently using Android in part because of the larger screen of my HTC Inspire 4G as opposed to the somewhat smaller screen of the iPhone..