PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] compiling Hello World in C

Coach McGurk
June 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I would like to get some C and C++ going on Ubuntu 11. I've been trying for a few hours to get Hello World going in C. I have some programming experience in Java and PHP but not C or C++.

#include < stdio.h>

void main()
{
printf("\nHello World\n");
}I get this error:
stdio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

After googling I tried sudo apt-get install build-essentials with no change. Do I need to put my source file in a specific directory?

p.s.
When running locate stdio.h i get:
/usr/include/stdio.h
/usr/include/bits/stdio.h
/usr/lib/perl/5.10.1/CORE/nostdio.h
/usr/lib/syslinux/com32/include/stdio.h

zobayer1
June 19th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I would like to get some C and C++ going on Ubuntu 11. I've been trying for a few hours to get Hello World going in C. I have some programming experience in Java and PHP but not C or C++.

#include < stdio.h>

void main()
{
printf("\nHello World\n");
}I get this error:
stdio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

After googling I tried sudo apt-get install build-essentials with no change. Do I need to put my source file in a specific directory?

It should be:

#include <stdio.h>
You were giving extra space. Hope it helps.

Coach McGurk
June 19th, 2011, 03:54 AM
zobayer1 you are awsome!!
Thanks so much

cgroza
June 19th, 2011, 03:56 AM
And I think main should return an int.

zobayer1
June 19th, 2011, 03:59 AM
You are always welcome.

When your problem is solved, you can mark your thread 'SOLVED'. You will get that option from 'thread tools' just above the first post in this page.

Coach McGurk
June 19th, 2011, 04:00 AM

Is having it void a bad idea? I copy pasted it from a tutorial I can't find now.

zobayer1
June 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM
That's indeed a good practice, but gcc won't cause trouble with it. But a must for g++.

cgroza
June 19th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Is having it void a bad idea? I copy pasted it from a tutorial I can't find now.

The OS expects a program exit code. It is a good practice anyway.

nvteighen
June 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
About main:

I'm not sure whether "void main()" is a pre-standard fossile or just a non-standard extension someone invented. But what is sure is that the C Standard defined three signatures for main, which are exactly these:

int main(void); /* Not int main() */
int main(int argc, char **argv);
int main(int argc, char **argv, char **envp);

The two first are the most used ones: the first is the default and the second gives access to command line arguments. The third allows access to environment variables, but it's a bit useless in GNU/Linux systems: getenv.h is much better.

Be aware that int main() is not int main(void). In C, type f() means that function f returns a value of type type and accepts an arbitrary number of arguments (which will be ignored, as you're not creating any variable to store those values). This prevents the compiler to check arguments for that function.

It is in C++ where type f() = type f(void). Therefore, in C++ there's a "fourth" signature for main, which is int main(), but equivalent to int main(void).

I know gcc is quite permissive with this, but IMO, one should write things correctly.

Arndt
June 19th, 2011, 02:10 PM
About main:

I'm not sure whether "void main()" is a pre-standard fossile or just a non-standard extension someone invented. But what is sure is that the C Standard defined three signatures for main, which are exactly these:

The two first are the most used ones: the first is the default and the second gives access to command line arguments. The third allows access to environment variables, but it's a bit useless in GNU/Linux systems: getenv.h is much better.

Be aware that int main() is not int main(void). In C, type f() means that function f returns a value of type type and accepts an arbitrary number of arguments (which will be ignored, as you're not creating any variable to store those values). This prevents the compiler to check arguments for that function.

It is in C++ where type f() = type f(void). Therefore, in C++ there's a "fourth" signature for main, which is int main(), but equivalent to int main(void).

I know gcc is quite permissive with this, but IMO, one should write things correctly.

In C, main() was the same as main(void) in the fossile period, though, because at one time, the keyword "void" didn't exist.

JupiterV2
June 19th, 2011, 03:27 PM
About main:

Use the gcc flag -Wstrict-prototypes to turn on a warning when you don't properly prototype a function. For functions which don't accept an argument, you must explicitly use 'void' for a function parameter, as in: int main (void) {...}

Also, the -Wall flag will issue a warning you if main() returns void. At a minimum, you should always compile your programs with -Wall:

gcc -Wall my_program.c

nvteighen
June 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Use the gcc flag -Wstrict-prototypes to turn on a warning when you don't properly prototype a function. For functions which don't accept an argument, you must explicitly use 'void' for a function parameter, as in: int main (void) {...}

Also, the -Wall flag will issue a warning you if main() returns void. At a minimum, you should always compile your programs with -Wall:

gcc -Wall my_program.c

Uh, thanks for clarifying this for the OP... When I said that gcc is permissive, my intention was to refer to gcc's default behaivor :P