PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu and Different Desktop Environments

benc1213
June 19th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I was wondering if I could just install xfce or something and use that on ubuntu. Would installing xubuntu be better?

cgroza
June 19th, 2011, 03:31 AM
The package xubuntu-desktop should give what you want.

benc1213
June 19th, 2011, 03:34 AM
The package xubuntu-desktop should give what you want.

Ok thanks. Will I gain performance? Would lxde be better? Btw this is running on my cr-48.

Jarramundi
June 19th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I used xubuntu for a while a couple of years ago... Gutsy gibbon days :)
Just dual booted with Ubuntu and win7, and have not found a need for xfce, but thats just me.

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

benc1213
June 19th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I was just curious if this would give me more performance on my cr-48.

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Ok thanks. Will I gain performance? Would lxde be better? Btw this is running on my cr-48.

LXDE is a bit unstable, but it does feel lighter than XFCE.

krapp
June 19th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I was just curious if this would give me more performance on my cr-48.

If your main concern is performance why not try a window manager like Openbox alone? You already have GDM installed, so half of the work is done. The socalled desktop environments are all on the heavy side. Even LXDE is heavier than Openbox.

Zero2Nine
June 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Maybe XFCE (Not Xubuntu) alone would give some performance gain. My personal experience with Xubuntu is that it provides a good desktop but is not noticeably faster or lighter than Ubuntu.

earthpigg
June 19th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Due to the DMCA and the local CoC prohibiting discussion of illegal activities, is this thread allowed to exist?

About 20% of that question is inspired by being a cynical scumbag, the other 80% is genuine. Does the DMCA allow for installing Ubuntu on a CR-48?

Until the US Congress passed a law explicitly allowing it, jail-breaking an iPhone was a violation of US Law, after all....

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Due to the DMCA and the local CoC prohibiting discussion of illegal activities, is this thread allowed to exist?

About 20% of that question is inspired by being a cynical scumbag, the other 80% is genuine. Does the DMCA allow for installing Ubuntu on a CR-48?

Until the US Congress passed a law explicitly allowing it, jail-breaking an iPhone was a violation of US Law, after all....

I don't think Google cares.

nothingspecial
June 19th, 2011, 11:05 AM
xfce4 is the package you want....

if you install xubuntu-desktop you'll get abiword, gmusicbrowser and a load of other stuff you might not want.

benc1213
June 19th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Well google did release a guide themselves on how to install ubuntu on the cr-48.

BrokenKingpin
June 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM
If you want a light XFCE install, just install XFCE4 package. The Xubuntu is getting bloated these days.

LXDE is lighter than XFCE, but not as user friendly in my opinion. Both are great DEs though.

linuxyogi
June 20th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I am using Lubuntu 11.04.

LXDE Rocks !!!

BrokenKingpin
June 20th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Does Lubuntu 11.04 have an official 64-bit version yet? It seems like a cool distro, but I refuse to run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine.

linuxyogi
June 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Does Lubuntu 11.04 have an official 64-bit version yet? It seems like a cool distro, but I refuse to run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine.

No. I asked that on #lubuntu.

I have been using 64 version of Ubuntu & other distros.

I don't do any serious resource demanding tasks on my PC like video encoding & likewise.

After installing Lubuntu I see no performance drop. On the contrary there is some significant speed gain.

May be coz I have only 2 gb of Ram I don't feel the difference ?

malspa
June 20th, 2011, 04:53 PM
If your main concern is performance why not try a window manager like Openbox alone? You already have GDM installed, so half of the work is done. The socalled desktop environments are all on the heavy side. Even LXDE is heavier than Openbox.

Yeah, I use Openbox in Lucid, and it seems "lighter" than Xfce or LXDE, although both of those are quite snappy, too. I've read that Xubuntu isn't quite as fast as when you install Xfce yourself.