PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE Desktop Environment

linux_trojan
June 19th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 and I just dont feel comfortable with Gnome and the new way they arranged everything. Is there a way to install KDE without having to do a complete install of KUBUNTU.

I also tried to install LILO but when I did

sudo /sbin/lilo

the system told me it cant find "lilo.conf"

I dont want to reinstall linux but I cant deal with this new Gnome desktop environment. Is there away to get KDE up and running without a clean install?

gggccc
June 19th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Can't you just choose classic from the login screen?

linux_trojan
June 19th, 2011, 03:21 AM
yes that worked. thats good enough for me.

I was reading an article on the web and the guy said he was gonna install Kubuntu as a work around. He didnt mention classic, but he was writing as he was testing Ubuntu 11.04. So he probably didnt know about the classic option.

But anyways, yes, this classic option is gonna work just fine for me. Thanks.

linux_trojan
March 1st, 2012, 01:00 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 and have the same problem, again. I cant find the "classic" mode for the desktop environment. I really like having that tool bar on the top with "applications", "locations", etc and the tool bar at the bottom telling me which applications I have open.

CriminalDoughnut
March 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Click the cog icon next to your name on the login screen. THat should give you the option to change from unity to gnome or gnome classic

linux_trojan
March 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
I dont think that 11.10 has that capability. I have clicked on that "gear" thingy on the login screen and cant find "classic"

Yellow Pasque
March 2nd, 2012, 02:48 AM
I dont think that 11.10 has that capability. I have clicked on that "gear" thingy on the login screen and cant find "classic"
You need to install gnome-session-fallback package, but beware that it's not quite the same as the old gnome (hint: you need to hold Alt when right-clicking to get a menu). Now would be a good time to migrate to xfce..

linux_trojan
March 3rd, 2012, 06:09 AM
That worked :)