PDA

View Full Version : I like the Kindle...

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 02:37 AM
So for some reason I've never liked to read, or so I thought. I've just never liked sitting still with a book and having to get out of a comfortable position to change the page, or the book was just uncomfortable to hold, you know, a bunch of minor annoyances that add up. Well I was bored last night and picked up my moms' Kindle that I got for her last Christmas and for once I could actually enjoy reading a book.

E-book readers are awesome.

youbuntu
June 19th, 2011, 02:39 AM
So for some reason I've never liked to read, or so I thought. I've just never liked sitting still with a book and having to get out of a comfortable position to change the page, or the book was just uncomfortable to hold, you know, a bunch of minor annoyances that add up. Well I was bored last night and picked up my moms' Kindle that I got for her last Christmas and for once I could actually enjoy reading a book.

E-book readers are awesome.

Nice pony! Can I brush it?

That colour scheme is cool - gonna try that in Photoshop :)

On topic, Kindles look cool... like cold cheesecake, but not as tasty.

LowSky
June 19th, 2011, 02:41 AM
It called getting older. ;)

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
It called getting older. ;) Perhaps, it's just that I can't sit still with a normal book.

I'm thinking about getting my own Nook with the e-ink, or Kindle.

jerenept
June 19th, 2011, 03:22 AM

Oooohhh.... cheesecake.....

Hey, a Kindle!

Look, something shiny!

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 03:31 AM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm1a4qfUOI1qe6u2mo1_250.gif

Hurr durr. Please go away, this is actually a real thread and not one of your troll threads.

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

--C.S. Lewis

youbuntu
June 19th, 2011, 03:46 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

aysiu
June 19th, 2011, 06:01 AM
If you like the Kindle, check out the new touchscreen e-ink Nook--it's amazing.

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 06:06 AM
If you like the Kindle, check out the new touchscreen e-ink Nook--it's amazing.

I thought you were talking about the Nook Color with the lcd screen, but I found out there's a nook with the little touch screen. I'm going to have to test which one can be more comfortably held, and has better button placement.

Macskeeball
June 19th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I'm going to have to test which one can be more comfortably held, and has better button placement.

Another issue to keep in mind is the content selection. My understanding is that the Kindle store has more books than the Nook store.

However, the Android-based Nook devices can be rooted to run the Kindle app for Android, and when rooted they also double as cheap tablets.

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Another issue to keep in mind is the content selection. My understanding is that the Kindle store has more books than the Nook store.

However, the Android-based Nook devices can be rooted to run the Kindle app for Android, and when rooted they also double as cheap tablets.

huh...well that's very appealing.

aysiu
June 19th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Another issue to keep in mind is the content selection. My understanding is that the Kindle store has more books than the Nook store. Not according to this article (http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/06/16/new-black-white-nook-and-kindle-share-enemy-in-ipad/):
Software applications for e-reading on the Nook are easily obtainable with Barnes & Noble selling over two million Nook books, double what Amazon offers for the Kindle, nearly a million titles. And don't forget with a Nook (as opposed to a Kindle) you can get a ton of free ebooks from Google and your local library without having to convert them first.

zer010
June 19th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Last time I did some comparison between the Kindle and Nook, I read a lot of reviews on how pdf formating is a lot better on the Nook vs Kindle. Apparently B&N collaborated with Adobe to get that "feature". Another thing that I liked about the Nook was the fact that you could buy one without having to sign a subscription contract for 3G wireless. I'm sure it could be done with a Kindle, but all of the places I found were price + subscription. p-_-

mmmichael
June 19th, 2011, 05:35 PM
As appealing as an e-ink screen is, the deciding factor for me was the ability to put android on an sd card and dual boot a nook color. Now I have an android tablet that can run the amazon kindle app, stream netflix movies, etc., and a nook that can show all the colorful pictures in National Geographic. Next thing I want to try is getting Ubuntu's Unity interface working on it.

darrenn
June 19th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Nook wifi was released almost a year later than kindle and it's still not as good (but almost). Find me a review that says nook wifi is better than kindle. Also we can't compare apples to oranges when amazon releases a colour kindle then we can talk.

Review nook wifi 7/10

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/barnes-and-noble-nook-wifi-review/

Review kindle wifi 8/10

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/27/amazon-kindle-review/

dniMretsaM
June 19th, 2011, 08:16 PM
E-readers are pretty convenient. Lots of books in less space than one regular book. But I personally wouldn't use a Kindle. Reason: http://www.defectivebydesign.org/amazon-kindle-swindle

aysiu
June 19th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Find me a review that says nook wifi is better than kindle. http://www.christianpost.com/news/nook-better-than-kindle-top-5-best-rated-consumer-comments-51314/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20072079-1/cnet-awards-nook-touch-editors-choice/
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/06/nook/

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM
E-readers are pretty convenient. Lots of books in less space than one regular book. But I personally wouldn't use a Kindle. Reason: http://www.defectivebydesign.org/amazon-kindle-swindle

Eh...for me that argument is irrelevant.

Quadunit404
June 19th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Eh...for me that argument is irrelevant.

It's because it's the FSF. Nothing they say is relevant anymore.

Yes, DRM screws over paying customers rather than pirates, but still. It's the FSF.

nrundy
June 19th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I'm reluctant to buy one after reading RMS's views on it. I agree with his views. I really want a kindle though. Books pile up so fast!

Article that sums up his views and links to PDF download: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20069648-264/richard-stallman-break-free-of-e-book-chains/

dniMretsaM
June 19th, 2011, 09:47 PM
What is so terrible about the FSF?

I'm reluctant to buy one after reading RMS's views on it. I agree with his views. I really want a kindle though. Books pile up so fast!

Article that sums up his views and links to PDF download: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20069648-264/richard-stallman-break-free-of-e-book-chains/

Seems to be along the same lines as the link I posted. Although perhaps a little milder.

Quadunit404
June 19th, 2011, 09:49 PM

They practically force their view of freedom on you?

talisman.26
June 19th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Price for 3G on Kindle? I just got mine out of the box, and there is no price, no subscription. You only need an Amazon account. Then again, it's just an e-reader. No browser, no Angry Birds, no email. Then again, I didn't buy my motorcycle to haul furniture. I don't know about the Nook or downloading .pdfs, but for what I want it for, it's perfect. Simple, not too many features and it's 3G. Which according to my limited knowledge, I can get whatever I want from Amazon, darn near anywhere. I like it, bottom line.

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 10:05 PM

Seems to be along the same lines as the link I posted. Although perhaps a little milder.

Well RMS is all for freedom as long as it's on someone else's dime (http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/05/29/1541208/RMS-Cancels-Lectures-In-Israel), that's why I dislike the FSF. They're all for freedom of whatever as long as someone else is funding their campaign. They're so against capitalism and its "evils", and yet they turn around and ask for funding.

But we're getting off topic.

meeples
June 20th, 2011, 01:32 AM
i dont have a kindle yet but i use the apps on my android and mac, and its awesome. i just love how i can ready a book on my mac and when i get tired pick it up from where i left off on my phone. Will be getting a kindle as soon as i can...

nook's seem cool but i dont think they can compete with the might that is amazon, even if in some ways they are better.

overdrank
June 20th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Back on topic. Thanks :)

Poor Android
June 20th, 2011, 03:39 AM
While I'm a fairly avid reader, I understand where you're coming from with respect to the discomfort associated with reading standard books. I'm very restless myself (fidget constantly, pace the floor, etc.) and finding an environment in which I'm comfortable enough to concentrate can be a nightmare. :(

Quadunit404
June 20th, 2011, 03:40 AM
back on topic. Thanks :)

+10000

PapaGary
June 20th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I like the Kindle too. Or I used to until Barnes & Noble came out with the new Nook with the E-Ink touch screen. If you want to just read books then the new little nook is a deal. A charge lasts two months compared to eight hours on the Color Nook. It is smaller and lighter than the either Kindle or 1st generation Nook but because it has a touch screen the viewing area is the same. Best Buy sells both Nooks and Kindles so you can check them out at one place.

aysiu
June 20th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I like the Kindle too. Or I used to until Barnes & Noble came out with the new Nook with the E-Ink touch screen. If you want to just read books then the new little nook is a deal. A charge lasts two months compared to eight hours on the Color Nook. It is smaller and lighter than the either Kindle or 1st generation Nook but because it has a touch screen the viewing area is the same. Best Buy sells both Nooks and Kindles so you can check them out at one place.
The new touchscreen e-ink Nook is amazing. My wife just got one recently and can't put it down.

darrenn
June 20th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I stand corrected on the nook always reviewing worse than kindle. But if I looked I could probably find more positive reviews for kindle than nook.

Legendary_Bibo
June 20th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I stand corrected on the nook always reviewing worse than kindle. But if I looked I could probably find more positive reviews for kindle than nook.

The Kindle has the newer generation e-ink (or at least it did back when I bought my family the Kindles). So that always seemed to lead to more positive reviews.

aysiu
June 20th, 2011, 05:20 AM
The Kindle has the newer generation e-ink (or at least it did back when I bought my family the Kindles). So that always seemed to lead to more positive reviews.
Are you talking about Pearl? The new Nook has that too.

I'm afraid that what happened here is Amazon came to the e-book reader party early and established a large user base, Barnes and Noble tried to rush its first product to market without polishing it thus garnering initial bad reviews (a firmware update four months later couldn't reverse the PR damage), and then Amazon held onto its lead for a while just because a lot of people had dismissed the Nook and thought "everyone" else was using a Kindle, so why not?

The new Nook is small and solid-feeling, has fast page turns with no black-flashing, is both touchscreen and e-ink, and it's the same price-point as the non-advertisements-subsidized Kindle. It, like all Nooks before it, can read ePubs without needing to convert them first. And Barnes and Noble has twice as many e-book titles as Amazon has.

Nevertheless, people keep insisting the Kindle is better than the Nook. If you want a hard keyboard and plan to take a lot of notes, sure. If you've already purchased a lot of DRM'ed Kindle books and thus don't want to lose them by switching to another platform, also sure. But if you've just been reading reviews from December 2009, you should actually check out the new Nook before you judge it.

Legendary_Bibo
June 20th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Are you talking about Pearl? The new Nook has that too.

I'm afraid that what happened here is Amazon came to the e-book reader party early and established a large user base, Barnes and Noble tried to rush its first product to market without polishing it thus garnering initial bad reviews (a firmware update four months later couldn't reverse the PR damage), and then Amazon held onto its lead for a while just because a lot of people had dismissed the Nook and thought "everyone" else was using a Kindle, so why not?

The new Nook is small and solid-feeling, has fast page turns with no black-flashing, is both touchscreen and e-ink, and it's the same price-point as the non-advertisements-subsidized Kindle. It, like all Nooks before it, can read ePubs without needing to convert them first. And Barnes and Noble has twice as many e-book titles as Amazon has.

Nevertheless, people keep insisting the Kindle is better than the Nook. If you want a hard keyboard and plan to take a lot of notes, sure. If you've already purchased a lot of DRM'ed Kindle books and thus don't want to lose them by switching to another platform, also sure. But if you've just been reading reviews from December 2009, you should actually check out the new Nook before you judge it.

I only like classic books, I've never had an interest in anything made in the past 40 years.

BrokenKingpin
June 20th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I bought my wife one... I really like it, but she never lets me use it :(.

David D.
June 20th, 2011, 11:05 PM
+1 to the above.