PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How many of you use .....

ssreddy555
June 18th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Reading the Forums, I get the impression that many seem to use dual boot - some edition of Windows + some version of Linux.

I wonder if it is because not many would totally trust Linux to perform, so they keep Windows as a standby?

Will be interesting to know how many of you use a dual boot & how many Linux alone.

Come on folks, give your take!

Timmer1240
June 18th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Linux Mint Debian exclusively

Jerry N
June 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Will be interesting to know how many of you use a dual boot & how many Linux alone.

My primary OS is Windows 7 and I expect that to be true for some time to come. My secondary computer has removable drives and I have tried many dozen different Linux OSs on that machine in the last 4 years, including Ubuntu 7.04 through 11.04 and the corresponding Mint releases. Presently it has Win XP, Win 7, Mint 11, Xubuntu 11.04, and Ubuntu 11.04. Of the presently install Linux OSs I prefer Mint 11 although I have spent enough time with Xubuntu 11.04 that I think I could get along with it too. I am not impressed with Unity.

I haven't found any Linux release that allows me to play .mts video files from a Canon Camcorder without skips and jumps or worse while Windows Media Player plays them just fine. Also there does not seem to be any Linux photography software that works with Nikon 14 bit per color RAW (NEF) files without truncating them to 8 bits first. It is claimed that the 2.8 release of GIMP will do 16 bit color but I really wonder if it will ever be released.

I run Win XP and Mint 9 on my fairly old HP notebook computer.

Jerry

claracc
June 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Windows vista sp2 and ubuntu lucid lynx

nzjethro
June 18th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I have Ubuntu 10.10 with Xfce, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha installed.
But in saying that, Windows is pretty much only on here for when my girlfriend needs to use my laptop. I figured Ubuntu would be a nice user-friendly distro to whet my Linux appetite, and then down the track I could try a more challenging distro (maybe Gentoo, or Suse).

goldshirt9
June 18th, 2011, 09:55 PM
windoze 7 ultimate for the home networking sharing of movies .
ubuntu 11.04 for me :D

David D.
June 18th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Before I retired, I used Windows to log into the computer system at work from home (their VPN protocol does not support Linux).

Now that I am retired, I use Windows for Netflix. If Linux ever is supported by Netflix I'll get rid of the dual boot.

amauk
June 18th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Well, seeing as you asked :P
Haven't used windows in 12 years
triple boot ubuntu, fedora & gentoo

gandaran
June 18th, 2011, 10:02 PM
windows 7, ubuntu and kubuntu on same computer, I use mainly ubuntu but boot windows or kubuntu sometimes because I get fed up looking at the same desktop graphics every day:P

VCoolio
June 18th, 2011, 10:02 PM
On my old pc I needed the disk space, so I converted the windows partition to an ext4 data partition. Now I can spare it, so I also have windows, for one game actually that I haven't played in months now. It's not even as a backup, I'd rather use a livecd and have the linux apps I'm used to. Besides, I could boot a 2nd linux distro I've installed but hardly use because, who needs a backup? If you don't screw up, linux won't either. Last time I booted windows it was to pair my mouse and keyboard on one logitech usb receiver. Last time before that was 2010 when I finished the game.

Maymee
June 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM
As a web designer, I need Adobe CS (no, The GIMP does not work for me -- yet) for design and the latest of IE to test. Should these programmes run under Linux, I'd make Ubuntu my only OS.

daftlad
June 18th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Gave up on windows because, using a pc with all that security and anti virus software is like having sex with a condom on, it ruins the pleasure :)
Ubuntu 11.04 desktop and laptop

prodigy_
June 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I use Windows on my home desktop probably 99.9% of the time, but some things Linux does better so I always have dual-boot and sometimes even make use of it. :)

idoitprone
June 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Gave up on windows because, using a pc with all that security and anti virus software is like having sex with a condom on, it ruins the pleasure :)

dont forget that condom break so, we can still get AAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSS

I use Linux exclusively and keep plan9 on standby - now i am a crazy geek

fragos
June 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I only use Ubuntu, 11.04 now, on all my computers. I upgrade with every new release of Ubuntu on my desktop and follow a week later with my laptop and server. No windows in my office for perhaps 10 years. I used to run wine to test my web sites on IE6 but no longer install wine. Unless asked otherwise I provide my clients with documents in PDF format.

Barrucadu
June 19th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I have used GNU/Linux exclusively since November of 2007 or so, now I exclusively use Arch (even on my two linodes).

AeroZak
June 19th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I Dual boot Linux and Windows 7 on my Laptop, because Windows has iTunes/Rhapsody, and it supports a one or two other programs that Linux does not.

I also have Windows 7 and Ubuntu on my main server computer; windows for testing purposes.

Besides this, all my other servers/desktops/computers use Ubuntu or some variation of Linux.

I wonder if it is because not many would totally trust Linux to perform, so they keep Windows as a standby?

Actually, it's quite the opposite, If I have to install Windows on any computer, I install Linux on it as a standby...this has proved handy in so many cases.

oldos2er
June 19th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I haven't used Microsoft software for many years.

angry_johnnie
June 19th, 2011, 02:11 AM
quad boot:

windows xp
windows 7
ubuntu
zenwalk

I only use either ubuntu or zenwalk on a daily basis. I only keep windows installed because I can, and because, sometimes, I'd rather look at something different.

It's like having different desktop environments/window managers. Not really necessary. Just "cool" :p

Khakilang
June 19th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I got several old computer that run Window XP and Linux because I got nothing better to do. But for my main computer it is only Ubuntu 11.04.

Bandit
June 19th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Reading the Forums, I get the impression that many seem to use dual boot - some edition of Windows + some version of Linux.

I thought this was gonna be a poll...

I use straight Linux. Currently Ubu 11.04 and if I need windows for something I keep WinXP VM handy with Oracle Virtual Box. I use VBox also to sandbox programming environments. I would dual boot Win7 if I could. But dual booting a RAID setup is a utter pain.

compmodder26
June 19th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I use purely linux. Have done so since 2005. I use 11.04 on my home laptop and 10.04 on my work laptop.

Bandit
June 19th, 2011, 06:28 AM
As a web designer, I need Adobe CS (no, The GIMP does not work for me -- yet) for design and the latest of IE to test. Should these programmes run under Linux, I'd make Ubuntu my only OS.

Yea IE testing is another reason I keep WinXP in VM.

As far as web graphics. If I am creating from scratch, I use GIMP. But if I am editing photos, I use photo shop.

ilovelinux33467
June 19th, 2011, 06:34 AM
dual boot:
Linux (openSUSE 11.4)
FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE

Dustin2128
June 19th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Er- Poll please? Exclusive linux user, for at least 2 years.

Gerontion
June 19th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I only have linux, though I have a virtual windows (XP) handy - I sometimes get sent stuff in docx format which LibreOffice can't handle. Other than that, I can't think of much I've used it for recently.

Off Topic
June 19th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Home machines are Ubuntu, 2 desktops and a server. The netbook dual boots Win 7 Pro and a Ubuntu server w/minimal GUI with Ubuntu as default.

The 7 Pro is on my netbook because on my last job some network admins didnt like me on their domains with Linux, this includes an admin who uses Linux at home.

ssreddy555
June 19th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Oh, great! Very well said.

zer010
June 19th, 2011, 08:05 AM
While I always have *buntu installed (currently Xubuntu 11.04), I alternate between having another Linux distro or XP on my second HDD. I just recently installed XP to play a few games and test my print/scan server on. The last time I had it installed was about 8 mos ago. I usually use XP to play a few games that I have that run too slow in WINE, C&CTFD Gen and Oblivion/Oldblivion patch.

doas777
June 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
not for security/trust so much as for games and certain windows-only flagship applications (visual studio in my case).

There are sometimes windows-only things in the world (like college homework submission\upload systems, or tax submissions programs, or even some online banking), that for one reason or other are unavoidable. when its 11:58 and your homework is due by midnight, its not a good time to be fighting a compatibility issue.

Zero2Nine
June 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Just Linux right now. I don't like dual boots (no matter if it's with Windows or another distro) it's just one system for me. For my current computing needs Linux is perfectly fine. Luckily I can download Windows with an Academic License when really necessary.

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I use a dual boot, Windows7 for games, and Illustrator (I have Photoshop, but I've gotten good with Gimp and since how they're pretty much the same why go through the trouble of re learning another program??). Ubuntu 10.10 for everything else like surfing the web, listening to music, watching videos, and all the online social stuff.

StarKid
June 19th, 2011, 02:46 PM
My computer came with Windows 7 installed, and I installed Xubuntu on it about a month after I received it. I use linux almost exclusively now. In linux, I can't upload to one of the websites I use for work; that's the only thing I use Windows for nowadays.

I had almost no experience with Linux up until a few months ago. 7 was new and I wanted the ability to go back in and look at it, if not use it, from time to time. There was one Windows application that I was using often for learning French vocabulary, and I thought I'd want to boot Windows up each day to study, but I realize now that Anki is much better. I also didn't realize how impatient I'd become with rebooting. I've become accustomed to Ubuntu's superior boot time :P

I've also had some RSI problems since I began using Linux, and I'm rather dependent on it because of all of the keyboard shortcuts and mousekeys and stuff I've had to learn, which won't work or aren't yet configured in Windows.

JRV
June 19th, 2011, 03:08 PM

My main computer is Ubuntu only, I trust Linux a great deal more then Windows.

I keep an installation of XP on my second machine because I need it to run one Windows only program.

Nytram
June 19th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I use Linux 99% of the time but keep Windows XP in a dual boot. I paid for Windows (it came with my netbook) so I intend to keep it. It's useful as a backup - if a piece of hardware failed, I can check whether it works on Windows, or whether it's a Linux problem. Also I use it for Sopcast, which I've never been able to get running on Linux (tried a few times...)

Frogs Hair
June 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Windows 7 is paid for and I need it for certain things . Unless I find an employer that only uses Linux I will be using Windows for a long time to come. I have never worked for anyone that allows a person to use any of there own software. At home I use Ubuntu 90 + % of the time.

WRDN
June 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM
A few years ago I built my own PC and initially installed Ubuntu 8.04, then Windows Vista after starting University (free through MSDNAA). Since then, I've added 2 more OS' (Windows 7 and Fedora 11) so am now quad-booting.

malspa
June 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Linux only.

akand074
June 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I only use Linux on my desktop (my main machine). On my laptop I have both Windows and Ubuntu. I only usually boot into Ubuntu, but that is the one place I have a Windows install in case I need Windows only programs (which come up on occasion for school).

Spice Weasel
June 19th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I dual boot Fedora 15 FVWM with Windows Fundamentals For Legacy PCs (It's a hybrid of Windows XP, 2003 and Embedded)

jeffathehutt
June 19th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I have two computers. My desktop runs linux only, no dual boot. My Macbook runs OSX, no dual boot there either. I used to dual boot two linuxes in the past, but I never dual booted Windows with linux. :)

Linuxratty
June 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM

Same here...Used Linux for years and then duel booted with XP. I found I'd go into the Windows side maybe twice a year to play a game. I finally asked myself:"Why is this here?" I had some distro or other take over the whole hard drive and I never looked back.

nrundy
June 19th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I have a dual-boot of winxp and ubuntu 10.04. The only reason is because this is the box that I initially tried Ubuntu on for the first time. I haven't gotten around to deleting winxp--eventually I'm going to do a total ubuntu install. I never NEED to boot winxp. Sometimes I do but it's only to compare a winxp feature with ubuntu on the exact same machine, not because I need to do it.

All my other machines are NOT dual-boot. If I need a program that will only run on Windows, then I will have a computer that only runs Windows to deal with it. Usually I'll regulate to an old machine that gathers dust except when I need to run that program.

CraigPaleo
June 20th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I stopped using OS X in about 2008. I've been single booting Linux ever since.

ssreddy555
June 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Good; There are as many pure Ubuntu users as dual booters.

As for me, I have almost totally switched to Ubuntu & this is my 7th month since I weered away from Windows.

I too find Windows to be very rarely necessary for an occasional Windows specific application & for a few other reasons.

The other day, I had to do a bank transaction & found both chromium & FF unable to do the job because, java script is disabled. Not knowing how to enable it, had to go to windows & use IE, which completed the job successfully.

Thanks folks, for participating in the poll & giving out your opinions.

3Miro
June 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Pure Linux: 2 primary desktops with Gentoo, 1 file server with Gentoo and 1 laptop with Ubuntu.

Many people keep windows for games and work specific software. I used to dual-boot for games, but with the new advances in wine, it is not longer necessary.

Rubi1200
June 24th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I currently multi-boot...various Linux distros, but Ubuntu is my main stable environment as the others are just for testing.

Don't use Windows at all at home, but have to at work due to certain requirements stipulated by one of our clients.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I voted for all 4 options in the poll. I have 10 computers that are set up differently for their intended purpose.

I do not have cable or satellite TV. I only use the Internet. My wife likes Netflix which only works with Windows; therefore, the computer connected to the big screen TV runs Windows 7 most of the time. It can dual boot with Linux Mint.

When my grandchildren moved into my home they were on the family computer all the time and they fought over it. I decided to take some old computers and parts I was going to recycle and make working Frankenstein computers out of them. They run Ubuntu 10.04 only; because, I don't have Microsoft Windows licenses for them. The grandchildren are happy with them. They also have an Xbox 360 and Wii when they want to do some serious gaming.

I have a netbook that I use for business travel. I have stayed at hotels or visited businesses with networks that do not want to work with Linux. I don't have time to troubleshoot the problem. I use Ubuntu 10.04 on that machine; however, when I run into a problem, I just boot into Windows 7.

I have an old laptop that I loan out to friends when they need a computer temporarily. It is currently running Debian Testing only. I always wipe the computer when they give it back to me. It usually dual boots with Windows XP; however, the last time I wiped it and reinstalled the OS, I didn't feel like fighting with the Windows XP OEM disks. If someone borrowing the laptop needs Windows XP, I will install it then.

I have a computer that I use for testing and experimenting. It has several partitions where I can install an OS I want to play with. It is also set up for virtualization. At the moment it dual boots with Ubuntu and Windows Vista. Ubuntu is the host OS for the Virtual Machines. It has virtual machines for CentOS, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, or anything else I want to play with at the time.

My wife's laptop is Windows 7 only.

My laptop runs Ubuntu 10.04 with VirtualBox installed for running Virtual Machines. It currently has Virtual Machines for CentOS 5.4, Fedora 13, Ubuntu 10.10, Windows Vista, Ubuntu 11.04, and Debian Testing.

I also have had Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (http://www.ubuntu.com/business/cloud/overview) installed on a cluster of computers with a cloud controller.

As you can see, I am not loyal to any OS.

BrokenKingpin
June 24th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Single OS... been using Linux as my primary OS for over 5 years. I don't even have a Windows partition on any of my computers (including my wife's computer).

JonM33
June 24th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I use Windows 7 primarily and run Linux in either a VM or off of a USB drive to test things out.

MrMichaelHill
June 25th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Athough some people might not want to admit it, it sounds like they keep windows there just because it "works" with some things like games, most of the time anyway! Thats my only reason for keeping it personally too.

I've always dual booted windows with mandriva or ubuntu and maybe suse a year or so ago, but this 11.04 really has left windows for dust, it plays my games smoother and the official microsoft office runs in "PlayOnLinux'

Think I might end up getting rid of windows in a short while...

wolfen69
June 25th, 2011, 12:30 AM

That's hardly my reason for keeping windows around. I only have windows for 2 games I rarely play, and to test an occasional app for my customers. I fix mainly windows pc's, so I kind of have to keep up on what's going on in windowsland once in a while.

I trust my linux installs 100 times more than I ever did with windows. I only buy compatible hardware (or I return it) and it just works, and works perfectly. I could now never trust windows as much as I do linux.

Linuxratty
June 25th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Not used Windows in years.

User3k
June 25th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I duel/triple/quadruple booted for the longest time between Linux and MS Windows, (sometimes BSD would be in there.) I used MS Windows mainly for one game only for a few years. I no longer play that game so I no longer need MS Windows. Linux covers all I need and more.

Now I jump around between a half dozen of my favorite distro's. Or sometimes I duel/triple boot mostly Linux, though on occasion I give PC-BSD and FreeBSD a try, (But in my opinion there community is not even close to being as friendly as the Linux community in general. Not all but enough that it is frustrating. And talk about being territorial, much more so then the Linux community. I could swear there where times I read posts and could here that person lifting there leg up and marking there post/reply.) But I do like BSD to. So I keep checking it out. My Current list of favorite Linux distro's are: Ubuntu (Obviously,) Suse, Fedora, Arch, Debian and Mageia for the desktop. My favorite home server/gateway is SME.

I think one of the reasons some people keep MS Windows around, despite what they might say or even think they believe, is because of change. We love it and run from it at the same time. We as a species make no sense at all sometimes, lol.

RickSGM
June 25th, 2011, 05:49 AM
One of mine is Vista/Natty, the other is Windoze 7/Natty. Hadn't even fired the Windoze 7 up in a few months. Only thing we use the Windoze for is Netflix. Everything else we use works better in Ubuntu.

I'd tried many of the other Linux, but come back to Ubuntu every time.

wolfen69
June 25th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I'd tried many of the other Linux, but come back to Ubuntu every time.

Me too. Until 11.04. I didn't have a major beef with Unity, but I like Gnome-Shell better. I'm using Fedora 15 now because they were the first to have G3 by default.

trizrK
June 25th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Technically i'm running Ubuntu only, but i have XP on VMware for netflix;)

pbpersson
June 25th, 2011, 07:49 AM
On my primary machine I only have Lucid Lynx, 10.04

On my Windows 7 machine I have Win7 and Ubuntu but only boot into Windows - that machine is used to convert Tivo Movies.

My print/file/Tivo server is Vista

My test machine is used to install future versions of Linux

The laptop has Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.04 Natty, I only boot into Ubuntu there.

The wife has Windows 7....and there is an Ubuntu 10.04 machine I have setup for her so she can play some games - gotta get her started on Linux a little at a time :lolflag:

Paqman
June 25th, 2011, 08:10 AM

A lot of people keep a copy of Windows for gaming. Windows is a great gaming platform, but I wouldn't trust it for much else.

andymorton
June 25th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Running Arch on my laptop.

FlameReaper
June 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Main is Ubuntu. I keep Windows 7 because it came along with the laptop when I bought it.

Bart_D
June 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Windows and Linux

Windows is primary. Reason: Lack of appropriate Office Productivity Suite on Linux.

23dornot23d
June 25th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have a few installs ... but Sabayon and Ubuntu are the main at the moment though.

Reason for using Linux ..... 3D design and Photography ..... but its
more to do with the concept of people helping each other for something other than money.

PaulW2U
June 25th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I have a desktop with two installations of Kubuntu, so I dual boot between those. I have two laptops and a netbook, with Windows, XP, Vista and 7 installed. I may put Kubuntu on to my netbook when support for XP is getting near to ending but I'll keep Vista and 7 on the laptops for sometime yet.

So it seems that I can't vote in the poll as it doesn't cater for what I have available to use. :(

yetiman64
June 25th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Voted for the last option, --OSes installed-- (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=195579&d=1308581513) (link to an attachment), the primary one I suppose is 64bit Lucid. Though the 64 bit Lucid install also runs XP in Virtualbox, I still like to tinker with it occasionally.

Roasted
June 25th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I got Windows 7 for free, which is nice for when I'm in the gaming mood. Maybe I'm getting old, because my interest in gaming has declined incredibly in the last few months alone.

I do intend to check out Battlefield 3 though.

Some people use an XBox or a PS3 to game. I use Windows to game. That's the only relevance it has in existing on my system.

life in color
June 25th, 2011, 07:03 PM
currently I just have UbuntuStudio 11.04 but I may have to use Windows "against my will" as my iPod cannot be managed by Linux :( but I looooooooooooove Ubuntu and Linux and have basically become a fanatic for it and I now despise Windows and Mac with an unhealthy passion.

Linux_junkie
June 25th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I selected Ubuntu as being the only OS on my system but actually its Mint 10. However Mint 10 is Ubuntu 10.10 with a different theme.

amishtrucker
June 25th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Only use Windows on my dual-boot to manage a Windows handheld (for work) and to connect the handheld with the online server. I think it can be done only in Linux but the company does not want to give any support and is scared of Linux. They only trust Windows.

radar920
June 25th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Desktop: Win7 & Ubuntu 11.04
Laptop: Debian Squeeze & Mint Debian Edition

My favorite of the 4? Squeeze, i love it(after updating to iceweasel 4.0).

peter d
June 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM
On my main machine I use only Ubuntu Lucid.

My laptop currently dual boots Natty and Windows Vista SP2 (which I never use and dislike intensely). I strongly suspect that when Oneiric is issued I shall get rid of Windows altogether again.

I have another old laptop running BodhiLinux.

I don't feel that I have any need of Windows. Ubuntu does everything I need, which admittedly isn't very much.

David D.
June 25th, 2011, 10:31 PM
My primary system is Ubuntu 11-04 (Unity). I have the Windows version that came on the laptop also, and only use it for Netflix.

Spr0k3t
June 25th, 2011, 11:49 PM
My primary computer system is set up to tripple boot Ubuntu. One of them is current (11.04), another is current LTS (10.04, but I like 10.10 better), and the last is the current alpha/beta. My primary development OS has dual boot Ubuntu 10.10 and Fedora 15. My media center is Mythbuntu. My primary server is running FreeBSD. My backup laptop is running 10.10. Right now, the only windows computer system I have in my house is one that I'm fixing for a friend, installing Linux Mint Debian as the only OS. So you can exclude me from the "dependant on windows" group.

mamamia88
June 26th, 2011, 12:53 AM
well i dualboot ubuntu and win 7 on my laptop and run debian exclusively on my netbook. but, my laptop has a bad gpu and is out of warranty so 8've only been using my netbook and android phone