PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 boots, login, then freezes.

ChuckyZ28
June 18th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I recently learned that you can upgrade your version without downloading and burning a cd. So I upgraded from 10.04 to 11.04 and now can not use my computer. It will boot up display the log in screen and I can log in. But when it loads up as soon as I try and do anything the computer will completely freeze. I am not really sure what is going on. I do have a somewhat older machine but I have above the minimum requirements to run 11.04 so I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Also I can easily boot into the 10.04 cd so I would like to know the path to back up all my documents and photos just in case I need to reinstall the older os.

mörgæs
June 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
There is some advice here, for example the boot options:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580857

Yes, you can boot a live CD and get all your user files, if you want to reinstall 10.04. When the file manager is running, you can click 'file system' in the panel to the left. This will give access to your old home directory.

GCLumpkin
June 18th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Click on your name, then look at the bottom of the login screen. Change the session to Ubuntu Classic. Type in your password and log in. Are you able to get to the desktop then?