PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 amd64 - VLC - Audio issues

rotten777
June 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM
So I'm playing a video in VLC and after a few minutes the audio drops out. If I pause the video, open up preferences, change the audio output to alsa or pulse or whatever (as long as it changes to something else), it can resume and audio is back. The problem is, it goes away a few minutes later.

Am I only in this issue? It's incredibly annoying.

nrundy
June 18th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Does it happen with other videos? Is it only occurring with online videos? Only videos off the hard drive?

rotten777
June 18th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Does it happen with other videos? Is it only occurring with online videos? Only videos off the hard drive?

I don't use it to stream. All videos I watch are on the local hard drive. AVI's, MKV's, MPG's, etc.

LinuxHobbit
June 18th, 2011, 09:36 PM

Greetings.

I have just made a completely fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 (moved from 10.04) & I am having some strange audio problems with VLC as well. VLC worked just fine in 10.04 but something is definitely wacky with the audio in my new install.

In my case, the VLC audio is very scratchy on certain video and/or audio files. I definitely have sound, but it's pretty poor quality. I'm gonna do some testing to see if it happens with all media files, but there's definitely something wrong with VLC right now. I can play video and/or audio files with another media player (such as Dragon) and I DON'T have this strange audio problem.

I did see a comment by one of the VLC developers that they know that there is something wrong with the audio of the current version of VLC. He indicated that things likely won't be fixed until VLC 1.2.0 is available (should be coming reasonably soon).

VLC has always worked very well for me previously, and I'm hoping that we'll figure out a decent workaround for this strange sound problem.

VLC has some links whereby we can access the nightly builds for VLC 1.2.0, but I haven't tried to experiment with any of these new versions as yet.

Like you, I'll be interested in seeing if some of our Ubuntu/Kubuntu media gurus can help us with the strange audio problem that is currently found within VLC.

rotten777
June 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I do believe it's going to be one of the many underpinnings of VLC and not VLC specifically that's causing these issues. But I've done an install from source to 1.10 and it didn't help at all.

Where's the 1.20 builds you're finding?

LinuxHobbit
June 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Where's the 1.20 builds you're finding?

I found it on a VLC forum somewhere when I was doing some searching a couple of hours ago. I examined one of the provided links but it looked like it was only appropriate for use on a MicroSoft OS.

I don't remember where I found that link but when I get a chance to search around a bit more, I'm gonna see if I can find an appropriate source to those nightly builds for us Ubuntu/Kubuntu users.

Perhaps one of those VLC developers might be willing to point us in the right direction. :D

Temüjin
June 18th, 2011, 10:34 PM
http://nightlies.videolan.org/
The easiest way is to use git to get the latest version.

git clone git://git.videolan.org/vlc.git
cd vlc
sudo apt-get build-dep vlc
sudo apt-get install libxcb-composite0-dev
From there, you can build as normal and build .debs if you wish (read the INSTALL and/or HACKING files).

rotten777
June 26th, 2011, 05:39 PM

cd vlc
From there, you can build as normal and build .debs if you wish (read the INSTALL and/or HACKING files).

yeah I did all that and got this:

/bin/bash: line 6: 6491 Segmentation fault LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib" "/usr/local/lib/vlc/vlc-cache-gen" "/usr/local/lib/vlc/plugins"
make[5]: *** [install-exec-hook] Error 139
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/local/vlc/build/modules'
make[4]: *** [install-exec-am] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/local/vlc/build/modules'
make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/local/vlc/build/modules'
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/local/vlc/build/modules'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/local/vlc/build'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I tried to launch from there and the install was incomplete and gave an error.

local@box:~/vlc/build$ vlc
vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libvlccore.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Temüjin
June 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
It looks like something is segfaulting (error 139).

rotten777
June 26th, 2011, 06:04 PM
It looks like something is segfaulting (error 139).

Jun 26 12:34:57 box kernel: [ 8397.275026] vlc-cache-gen[6491]: segfault at 2ab07edb4ae0 ip 00002ab07edb4ae0 sp 00007fff8f3b2528 error 14 in libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3[2ab07ed7e000+200000]

thunderbirdje
July 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM

cd vlc

That all worked great. Can someone guide me to build? I've read INSTALL however when I ran ./configure I got from the prompt: command not found.

user@pc:~/vlc$ sudo ./configure
sudo: ./configure: command not found

andrew.46
July 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
You will need to run ./bootstrap first. Have a look here for one way to build the development vlc:

Howto: Build the development version of vlc under Ubuntu
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1398119

rotten777
July 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
You will need to run ./bootstrap first. Have a look here for one way to build the development vlc:

Howto: Build the development version of vlc under Ubuntu
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1398119

I get an install error on "make install"

Is there a nightly PPA?

andrew.46
July 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Is there a nightly PPA?

Indeed there is, but bear in mind that this is the development version of vlc so there are absolutely no guarantees that vlc will even work and many guarantees of possible future breakages:

VLC Daily Build of master branch
https://launchpad.net/~videolan/+archive/master-daily

and I have to say I have not tried this PPA being a little averse to the whole PPA concept....

jnmdon
July 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I have the same problem. Pausing a video, adding subtitles, etc. is making the sound in VLC vanish. I have to say it's a bit annoying being the only person to have problems with this software, as when you look at the reviews in software centre it is all flattering and fantastic. Plus, I wanted to communicate my poor experience in a review, and I was not allowed to!... I don't know, but for a starter in Linux like me, it's a bit of a disappointment. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:

shantiq
July 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
So I'm playing a video in VLC and after a few minutes the audio drops out. If I pause the video, open up preferences, change the audio output to alsa or pulse or whatever (as long as it changes to something else), it can resume and audio is back. The problem is, it goes away a few minutes later.

well the audio stutter /lag in natty 64 bugged me until yesterday when i read this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11072622&postcount=8)( and i had posted 3 separate requests for advice:KS) but no one knew

this guy james_mcl (thanx mate) says basically

Tools/preferences/audio/ pick alsa / then pick your device FIXES IT! (default pulse being the problem here)

Well it has done that for me.... hope if does it for you too...as it is a real pain i n the rear rendering VLC quite useless I too did a few reinstalls of the software to no purpose...... just that pulse thing is the prob it seems...

Good luck guys. ps re-reading your original post it looks i might be describing a different fault here and a cure anyway i leave it here it might help some...