PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a game! - Brainstorm Session Here!

Zerocool Djx
June 18th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Ok, so I figured this would be a nice water cooler discussion for yea all..

I want to build a game, and for once I thought it would be nice to have the Linux community for once NOT be the bastard child sitting at the kids table, so I want to give you all first crack at your thoughts on what some key issues might be with making a game with Linux in mind.

My first issue is Piracy. Most Linux is Open source, as I am not totally aware of source code, I would like to know if it's possible to secure a game without it being ripped apart, recoded, sold on the black markets, torrents and whatever else is out there, etc. Cause at the end of the day, if I cannot protect the game at all in Linux I prolly won't even release it in Linux, so I am looking for security. granted I know I will have to deal with it in windows too, but it's a little harder for windows.

Also, realistically, is there a demand for a good game to be released in Linux?

This will be my first game. Currently I have 2 games being planned, the first on will be relativity simple just to get us out there and get our feet wet.

If anyone has any input on this I would love to hear anything POSITIVE that would help.

pi3.1415926535...
June 18th, 2011, 06:40 PM
As to the issue of piracy, yes most Linux programs are open source (free (libre) software). However, assuming that all of the code will be original, you may license it under any licence which would allow you to control the game. I would think something in the vein of Minecraft's licence (http://www.minecraft.net/copyright.jsp) might be appropriate for a commercial Linux game. With all games, it is nearly impossible to stop them from being pirated, so the best thing to make the original, not pirate version reasonably accessible, so people do not feel the need to pirate it.

EDIT: Also the Humble Bundles (http://www.humblebundle.com) generally do not do too badly, so a similar payment system could work.

undecim
June 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM
My first issue is Piracy. Most Linux is Open source, as I am not totally aware of source code, I would like to know if it's possible to secure a game without it being ripped apart, recoded, sold on the black markets, torrents and whatever else is out there, etc. Cause at the end of the day, if I cannot protect the game at all in Linux I prolly won't even release it in Linux, so I am looking for security. granted I know I will have to deal with it in windows too, but it's a little harder for windows.

If you fight piracy with DRM (i.e., locking down your game), you're only going to increase piracy.

If even ONE PERSON can copy your game without permission, then EVERYONE can use that person's copy.

Moreover, if you load your game up with DRM, then your giving pirates a better product than your paying customers, because the pirated version will lack the DRM

And DRM never works. ever I suggest that you have a look at Mininova or The Pirate Bay and have a look at the games that have been cracked. Bear in mind that these are big brand game companies hiring the best of the best to write DRM, and these games are still cracked within days of release.

TL;DR: DRM will only hurt you and your paying customers, and turn potential paying customers into pirates. It doesn't affect pirates in the slightest. Not only that, but a lack of DRM can be a selling point (a lot of indie game companies advertise this)

Also, realistically, is there a demand for a good game to be released in Linux?

I would say yes. The best game to port to Linux would be a unique one. Something that no one else has done, gameplay-wise. These games tend to do the best on Linux.

This will be my first game. Currently I have 2 games being planned, the first on will be relativity simple just to get us out there and get our feet wet.

If anyone has any input on this I would love to hear anything POSITIVE that would help.

What kind of game is it?

Zerocool Djx
June 18th, 2011, 07:03 PM
As to the issue of piracy, yes most Linux programs are open source (free (libre) software). However, assuming that all of the code will be original, you may license it under any licence which would allow you to control the game. I would think something in the vein of Minecraft's licence (http://www.minecraft.net/copyright.jsp) might be appropriate for a commercial Linux game. With all games, it is nearly impossible to stop them from being pirated, so the best thing to make the original, not pirate version reasonably accessible, so people do not feel the need to pirate it.

EDIT: Also the Humble Bundles (http://www.humblebundle.com) generally do not do too badly, so a similar payment system could work.

Licensing would be an option, I would like to know the % of games sold to the amount of games pirated that are out in the world on average. Most people who Pirate can't afford the things they DL anyway so suing them for their crumbs off the sofa is pointless. I'd rather just tell them to be a game tester, lol.

For the first game I wouldn't mind releasing it as in a humble bundles fashion. But the story board for the advanced project so far is pretty extensive and is being written by a professional novel writer. So already we have pro's working on that game. worse case the writer said she will release it in a book, so theirs no loss for anyone atm. As soon as the story for the book is copyrighted we can release the website, by then well have demo videos etc, again, if we get that far.

I'm pretty excited about this tho, for years I been messing around with programs wondering what to do, I wish I thought of this sooner. I'm looking forward to where this might go.

So

Bandit
June 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM

I want to play Trine, hope it comes to Linux soon.

Zerocool Djx
June 18th, 2011, 07:18 PM
What kind of game is it?

The Graphics are powered by Nvidia, so you know they will be top notch there and Nvidia is Linux supported which is very nice!

undecim
June 18th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I have to do some research on this, but to date, there is nothing out there like this atm. It has a mix of various play action scenes meaning It will definitely have first person game action, but will also have many cut scenes which will be playable also. The Graphics are powered by Nvidia, so you know they will be top notch there and Nvidia is Linux supported which is very nice!

My dream rig has an AMD card... Would I still be able to play it?

odiseo77
June 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I have to do some research on this, but to date, there is nothing out there like this atm. It has a mix of various play action scenes meaning It will definitely have first person game action, but will also have many cut scenes which will be playable also.

What about some action mixed with some first person (or 3rd person) stealth gameplay? Something like the Thief series, but with a little bit more of action (or some action parts and some stealth parts). That would be great. (Sorry I always mention it, but I'm very fond of this game; it's my favourite of all the games I've played) :)

Zerocool Djx
June 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
My dream rig has an AMD card... Would I still be able to play it?

Of course, It just means that it will be optimized for Nvidia cards is all. Only draw back will be the hardware which obviously will be tested as time goes on. Well aim for something like an Nvidia HD series 750-1GB Video memory recommendations. As far as PC requirements it's self, Well see but I think an i3 or above would be minimum (dual core). you can make a game how you want these days, it's how much crap you can cram into one scene is the problem. The faster your computer is the more objects and scripts you can have running at the same time.

Zerocool Djx
June 18th, 2011, 07:35 PM
What about some action mixed with some first person (or 3rd person) stealth gameplay? Something like the Thief series, but with a little bit more of action (or some action parts and some stealth parts). That would be great. (Sorry I always mention it, but I'm very fond of this game; it's my favourite of all the games I've played) :)

Without going into great detail as I obviously have to withhold a lot for now, the basis of the game is this. YOU will control the outcome of them game. every ending will be different variation of what YOU do in the game it's self. You could play this game 10 times and every time the ending could be different.

I love hearing about peoples favorite games, it give me ideas as to the mindset of the gamers out there. Tho, I will say this, I am staying away from the genral shooter up 1st person games cause I honestly gotten board of those.

undecim
June 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Without going into great detail as I obviously have to withhold a lot for now, the basis of the game is this. YOU will control the outcome of them game. every ending will be different variation of what YOU do in the game it's self. You could play this game 10 times and every time the ending could be different.

I love hearing about peoples favorite games, it give me ideas as to the mindset of the gamers out there. Tho, I will say this, I am staying away from the genral shooter up 1st person games cause I honestly gotten board of those.

If done right, this could be an awesome game.

I would love to see the outcomes differ based on your skill.

For example, if you have high accuracy, you could have a mercenaries offer to let you join their group, or if you make a lot of headshots, you could get offered a job as a sniper. Or perhaps you complete a certain level without killing anyone, you get a special item from a monk/priest/angel/other pacifist NPC.

Just keep it creative. That's what makes indie games succeed.

odiseo77
June 18th, 2011, 07:56 PM

Sounds interesting. I think I read something about a similar game some time ago. If you're interested, the Thief series have rather a first person stealther gameplay (instead of a first person shooter); it's not so much about killing everyone but rather about hiding in the darks and creeping where ever you can, in order to avoid your enemies and accomplish your objectives. That's one of the things I like about it, as well as the fact that the maps are big and realistic and you can go wherever you want, and solve some puzzles. It's not simply about following a road that leads to your objetive, killing your enemies, and stuff, like most action games; In Thief you have to figure out what you have to do, and how you will do it.

Zerocool Djx
June 19th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Going to a brain storming session tonight Via Skype conference call. So far the resources at our hand are pretty impressive and the project has already literally reached 3 Continents in 4 Different countries. A former game designer from EA Sports will be in on the video conference, as well as a Russian music composer for some of the music who has access to a full orchestra, an electronic music artist from Amsterdam (NE), and the writer, who has won numerous awards. By no means do I say this will be done overnight, but this is looking very promising. So as not to jinx it from there I'll leave it at that.

:)

Dustin2128
June 19th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I would personally love a steampunk/fantasy setting, giving it semi-modern technologies with a victorian feel. For example, a computer would be an analytical engine hooked into a spinning wheel mechanical TV and typewriter, or a brassed and exposed CRT. But maybe that's just me, I think normal is overdone.

Zerocool Djx
June 19th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I would personally love a steampunk/fantasy setting, giving it semi-modern technologies with a victorian feel. For example, a computer would be an analytical engine hooked into a spinning wheel mechanical TV and typewriter, or a brassed and exposed CRT. But maybe that's just me, I think normal is overdone.

Normal = Normal

Just got off the video conference. It's a go!

Dustin2128
June 19th, 2011, 05:46 AM
What kind of genera are we talking anyway, first person shooter, role playing (that's what I guess), puzzle?

Zerocool Djx
June 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM
what kind of genera are we talking anyway, first person shooter, role playing (that's what i guess), puzzle?

rpg

Dustin2128
June 19th, 2011, 07:51 AM
rpg
What kind of setting, fantasy, modern, apocalyptic, alternate history, etc. ?

Zerocool Djx
June 19th, 2011, 10:36 AM
What kind of setting, fantasy, modern, apocalyptic, alternate history, etc. ?

Fantasy but with a sense of reality.

earthpigg
June 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM
If you fight piracy with DRM (i.e., locking down your game), you're only going to increase piracy.

If even ONE PERSON can copy your game without permission, then EVERYONE can use that person's copy.

Moreover, if you load your game up with DRM, then your giving pirates a better product than your paying customers, because the pirated version will lack the DRM

And DRM never works. ever I suggest that you have a look at Mininova or The Pirate Bay and have a look at the games that have been cracked. Bear in mind that these are big brand game companies hiring the best of the best to write DRM, and these games are still cracked within days of release.

TL;DR: DRM will only hurt you and your paying customers, and turn potential paying customers into pirates. It doesn't affect pirates in the slightest. Not only that, but a lack of DRM can be a selling point (a lot of indie game companies advertise this)

QFMFT, and well said.

I'm only going to add a little to that:

One:

People will steal from you, and you must live with that. Does 7-11 attempt to create things that will prevent the theft of even a single candy bar?

No, because that would be silly and would make me (and people smarter than me) really want to try to steal a candy bar.

And on the internet, I'm going to want to brag about it. Once I do, all of your candy bars will vanish.

Two:

Whenever DRM gets in the way of any of my friends from doing something entirely ethical, I do not spend the effort or time attempting to resolve it within the law.

I merely point them to the "pirated" version that does not have these artificially imposed flaws and is thus a superior product. If something is available on Hulu, I have zero qualms about sharing access to it with my friends overseas via thepiratebay.org and spending as much time as it takes for my friend to be able to access it. The models of the Westphalian System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_westphalia) (established 1648 ) do not, and should not, apply in the 21st century when it comes to something as trivial as casual entertainment. I care more about my friends than I do the Peace of Westphalia, the United Nations, or the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

You can like me or you can hate me, but I exist and there are hundreds of thousands like me that have millions of friends that have billions of family members.

rockager
June 19th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I love hearing about peoples favorite games, it give me ideas as to the mindset of the gamers out there.

have a look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1728192

Zerocool Djx
June 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I got board last night made this,..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toq975e5gSA

should give you a hint as to the level of graphics were going to be dealing with.

rockager
June 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM

should give you a hint as to the level of graphics were going to be dealing with.

whoaaa!!

cguy
June 19th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I want to build a game
How many times have we heard this?

Zerocool Djx
June 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM
How many times have we heard this?

Dunno, but this is the first time I said this and I already am making meshes :)

undecim
June 20th, 2011, 03:22 AM

Wow... I'll be looking forward to the game itself.

Really wish I had the time to work on my own game ideas :/...

PhillyPhil
June 20th, 2011, 03:40 AM

So I take it you're planning to sell the game for profit then?

You don't need to release the source code. There will be no difference at all between Linux piracy, and Windows piracy (except in terms of scale, of course).

Games that try to prevent copying inevitably fail.
Your only options are: a persistent internet connection while playing; a browser game on your server where people purchase an account; or make the game cheap, easily accessible, and good quality so that (most) people *want* to buy it.

Do you have any experience making games? I'd like a remake of the Amiga/AtariST game Deuteros, and/or a sequel, please ;).

Zerocool Djx
June 21st, 2011, 05:16 AM
So I take it you're planning to sell the game for profit then?

Do you have any experience making games? I'd like a remake of the Amiga/AtariST game Deuteros, and/or a sequel, please ;).

I've made a few side panel games like how the original Mario and sonic games where, but nothing as crazy as this. those took about a month. I don't care if this take over a year. I just wanna put a good game out ther for a reasonable price.

Here is the updated splash screen, the final screen is due out after. The first level was started today as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2kStyw0Cxg&feature=player_profilepage

Zerocool Djx
June 22nd, 2011, 02:58 AM
So this is my first game so I am getting a little excited so, bare with me, lol!

Curious on something, what is a median of graphics cards these days in terms of memory? right now I am smoking at 800Fps, and I keep adding more and more objects, but I don't see the fps going down much. Keep in mind I have to go back in and add detailed textures and such. But I want to know where I should draw the line, cause not everyone has a 2GB graphic card! LOL!

Dustin2128
June 22nd, 2011, 03:08 AM
So this is my first game so I am getting a little excited so, bare with me, lol!

Curious on something, what is a median of graphics cards these days in terms of memory? right now I am smoking at 800Fps, and I keep adding more and more objects, but I don't see the fps going down much. Keep in mind I have to go back in and add detailed textures and such. But I want to know where I should draw the line, cause not everyone has a 2GB graphic card! LOL!
Target a GeForce 9800 or 250+ (radeon 48xx series and up) as ideal, but make it as scalable as possible- many, many people have crappy integrated cards. I'd target around 2-4GB RAM as the average. And I can't reach the first youtube vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toq975e5gSA) as it says it has been removed by the user.

Zerocool Djx
June 22nd, 2011, 03:24 AM
Target a GeForce 9800 or 250+ (radeon 48xx series and up) as ideal, but make it as scalable as possible- many, many people have crappy integrated cards. I'd target around 2-4GB RAM as the average. And I can't reach the first youtube vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toq975e5gSA) as it says it has been removed by the user.

I'll look it up. The first video was just the preliminary made in a modeling program. The second one is after being exported into 3 other programs. The first one was redundant.

Zerocool Djx
June 22nd, 2011, 04:01 AM

Yea, I think I figured out why I have such high FPS, my clock speed is 4.8Ghz!

Linuxratty
June 22nd, 2011, 04:26 AM
And I can't reach the first youtube vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toq975e5gSA) as it says it has been removed by the user.

Yup,same here..
I'm really glad It is not another mindless shooter game.
I like games like Cubis2, World Of Goo..Don't really play many games.

Thewhistlingwind
June 22nd, 2011, 04:30 AM
Yup,same here..

I'm working on a similar project, but with totally different design goals. (Engine, text based.) I honestly wouldn't mind if one project with graphics capabilities was a mindless shooter.

We already have wesnoth.

Zerocool Djx
June 22nd, 2011, 04:49 AM
Yup,same here..

Again, here is the updated video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2kStyw0Cxg&feature=player_profilepage

I took the original down as this has a bit more content.

The game is inspired by Final Fantasy 3 which never had a sequel. If I had it my way I'd contact square soft and ask for the rights to do so, but god only knows what they'd ask for in cash for that. But anyway, I am better off doing my own. Inspired is one thing, riding coat tails on my first great adventure would be another.

Text based game engine? Wow that goes back to like NES, SNES and Sega.

Zerocool Djx
June 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Beta rendering of the CGI water of the first area in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spdfrkmr2?feature=mhee

It's not done yet, I still got to add a lot more to it, but it's getting there.

Thewhistlingwind
June 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
It's not done yet, I still got to add a lot more to it, but it's getting there.

It's getting there. ;)

My suggestion, the textures currently look to much like a sort of goo/octopus skin, if you make these seem more fluid I think it'll really shine.

Zerocool Djx
June 24th, 2011, 12:56 AM
It's getting there. ;)

My suggestion, the textures currently look to much like a sort of goo/octopus skin, if you make these seem more fluid I think it'll really shine.

Yep,.. This is only about half way, I am new to this program. It makes Photoshop look like a box of crayola crayons, lol.

Zerocool Djx
June 25th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Quick question,....

Is tux the penguin held under any copyright? I have a wicked kewl Idea :)

Linuxratty
June 25th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm working on a similar project, but with totally different design goals. (Engine, text based.) I honestly wouldn't mind if one project with graphics capabilities was a mindless shooter.

We already have wesnoth.

One thing I'd like to see is a command line game for Linux users..A way to teach the command line starting at sudo apt-get install bla bla and working your way up.
I think games could be used to teach people all sorts of things if game builders could figure out how to do it.
I also think some boring work could be made more fun if it was presented as games. People would be much more interested in working if they were presented with something like WOW,but what they think they are doing and what they are really doing are two different things.

Zerocool Djx
June 25th, 2011, 07:07 PM
that's a good idea, maybe I might be able to do something like that after this pans out. or maybe add in a hidden level or character and his controls are Linux commands.

Zerocool Djx
June 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Also,..

I got into thinking :) Tho I would like to charge something for this, I don't want to be a greedy fool. I was thinking about donating a good chunk of the proceeds to a charity. What does people think of that? You'd get a kewl game at low cost and you'd be helping people at the same time :)

I used to be an activist so I know first hand how messed up the world can be.

Linuxratty
June 26th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Also,..

I got into thinking :) Tho I would like to charge something for this, I don't want to be a greedy fool. I was thinking about donating a good chunk of the proceeds to a charity. What does people think of that? You'd get a kewl game at low cost and you'd be helping people at the same time :)

I'm pleased you like my command line idea.
A charity would be great. You could even offer a choice and which ever one gets the most votes,gets the money. You could do this every year,also have a forum for users so they could discuss funding various causes.

undecim
June 26th, 2011, 03:29 AM
that's a good idea, maybe I might be able to do something like that after this pans out. or maybe add in a hidden level or character and his controls are Linux commands.

Would something along the lines of a "hacking" easter egg fit into your game, like in COD:BO (at the title screen, you can break out of the chair you're locked into and log into a command-line computer at the back of the room, which uses *nix commands)

Zerocool Djx
June 26th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I'm pleased you like my command line idea.
A charity would be great. You could even offer a choice and which ever one gets the most votes,gets the money. You could do this every year,also have a forum for users so they could discuss funding various causes.

That's a great idea about the forums! I could easily set something up with phpBB and get an actual site going. In all actuality, I can't promise this as I am trying to see what this game engine is made of, but if it supports multi-player, then be prepared for some serious fun times.

Also, reason why I asked if Tux the penguin was a copyrighted thing I was thinking of making him a character.

P.S. on a side note you know your using your internet a bit to much when you add liquid cooling to the network card, hahahaha!

Thewhistlingwind
June 26th, 2011, 04:41 AM
That's a great idea about the forums! I could easily set something up with phpBB and get an actual site going. In all actuality, I can't promise this as I am trying to see what this game engine is made of, but if it supports multi-player, then be prepared for some serious fun times.

Also, reason why I asked if Tux the penguin was a copyrighted thing I was thinking of making him a character.

1. Multiplayer, yes please.

2. Tux is copyrighted.

undecim
June 26th, 2011, 05:38 PM
A copyright doesn't mean you can't use the work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tux.svg

The copyright holder of this file allows anyone to use it for any purpose, provided that the copyright holder is properly attributed. Redistribution, derivative work, commercial use, and all other use is permitted.

Though even barring the use of that image, you could always make a generic penguin. Nobody has copyright on penguins.

Zerocool Djx
June 26th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ok,..

Few things

1) I jumped into the game engine, it does support multiplayer, so yea it's on....

2) maybe 2 hidden characters that fight eachother tux and windows, hahah

3) that aside, this just got huge, I am thinking of recruiting more people for this project.

4) the project needs a name

5) Why do I feel like Mark Zuckerberg atm?...... /me grabs some becks...

Zerocool Djx
June 29th, 2011, 10:25 PM
deleted.

Zerocool Djx
June 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
So I just got another E-mail from the music composer. The sound for this game is going to be 100% made from scratch.

If it was as simple as a 1st shooter program it would be out in a week, but that is hardly the case. At this point it is confirmed, it will be an online RPG. You will be able to play a verity of characters and you can make your own story line within the relm of what the game is. There is also a major new idea that is being talked about, that will make the storyline practically infinite.

The biggest issue on our minds at this point, were trying to make a quality game that isn't going to be able for normal players to make money off it. Ideally, I'd rather have my server filled with 20 good loving gamers then 100 farmers from China. But on the other hand, if people can't make money off this, what do you all think? will it be more or less popular? Let me know your thoughts on that.

Also,.. Starting very shortly, I am going to be making you-tube videos of the game's progress so you can actually see a wonderful game developed. If people would like to see this please go to my youtube channel (link below). Eventually, I would like to be come a youtube partner and show the beta versions of the game Live on the air. But in order for that to happen I need to be a you tube partner. So, please, if you like the idea of this game all yea got to do is follow, and subscribe on my you-tube channel :smile: I am excited to see how this game comes about. I am not sure of many games that are cross platform that where build specifically for all 3 OS system types (Linux, PC, and Mac).

Thanks for reading updates! :smile:

Vibe Electronic Arts (http://www.youtube.com/user/spdfrkmr2?feature=mhee)

Zerocool Djx
June 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Hello,

I posted my first update on youtube this morning! Check it out! :)

Video Game Update 1 (http://www.youtube.com/user/spdfrkmr2?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/191ySO8coGs)

forrestcupp
June 30th, 2011, 03:26 PM
The Graphics are powered by Nvidia, so you know they will be top notch there and Nvidia is Linux supported which is very nice!

1) I jumped into the game engine, it does support multiplayer, so yea it's on....

What game engine are you using that targets nvidia? Targeting a specific GPU chipset is pretty old school, like back from the Voodoo, S3 ViRGE, and Matrox Mystique days. Most game engines are made to be able to scale to all reasonable video cards, with certain minimums, using OpenGL or DirectX (preferably OpenGL). Also, if you target high end, you won't have very many people be able to buy your game. You need to target low-end and be able to scale up. Or at least be able to scale down properly.

And if you don't want people messing with your code and releasing their modified versions, you just need to release only the binaries and content files. If you don't release the source code, people won't be able to modify it. You'll never be able to stop piracy, but at least you won't have a bunch of people criticizing your code, telling you how you should have done it, and threatening to fork.

Your splash screen video is pretty awesome looking. It's pretty darned long, though, so hopefully it's a real splash screen that's played while the game is loading, and not just wasting my precious time for the sake of showing a cool video. If it's a real game loading splash screen, you did a great job.

Zerocool Djx
June 30th, 2011, 03:38 PM
What game engine are you using that targets nvidia? Targeting a specific GPU chipset is pretty old school, like back from the Voodoo, S3 ViRGE, and Matrox Mystique days. Most game engines are made to be able to scale to all reasonable video cards, with certain minimums, using OpenGL or DirectX (preferably OpenGL). Also, if you target high end, you won't have very many people be able to buy your game. You need to target low-end and be able to scale up. Or at least be able to scale down properly.

NVidia is just the company the gaming engine (Unity3D) worked with to develop the graphics development with. It's not ment just fro them, but ofcourse they prolly made sure that it's optimized for there systems. Besides, nVidia supports linux and they are incredible, so why not go with it? But yes, it will work with a wide variety of cards.

And if you don't want people messing with your code and releasing their modified versions, you just need to release only the binaries and content files. If you don't release the source code, people won't be able to modify it. You'll never be able to stop piracy, but at least you won't have a bunch of people criticizing your code, telling you how you should have done it, and threatening to fork.

That's prolly what will happen. And, at this point, I'm moving on from Piracy, nothing I can fight about that on my own, it is what it is in that department. I'll just get creative with the multi-player option.

Your splash screen video is pretty awesome looking. It's pretty darned long, though, so hopefully it's a real splash screen that's played while the game is loading, and not just wasting my precious time for the sake of showing a cool video. If it's a real game loading splash screen, you did a great job.

That's definitely a real load screen, but it's not the final one. It depends on how long it takes to load and will be coded to cut to main screen once load completes after a certain time mark.

NovaAesa
June 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
It looks pretty good so far. One comment though, you company name Vibe Electronic Arts seems very similar to another video game company...

forrestcupp
June 30th, 2011, 06:11 PM
It looks pretty good so far. One comment though, you company name Vibe Electronic Arts seems very similar to another video game company...

That's what I was thinking. I hope you don't have trouble from Electronic Arts because of that.

Zerocool Djx
June 30th, 2011, 09:18 PM

That's what I was thinking. I hope you don't have trouble from Electronic Arts because of that.

Nope, not an issue. Started in 2001, the parent company is named "Vibe" with number associated with it's corresponding location in the world attached to it, started this all. But that is a term used to loosely in the world and not unique enough to get a Google hit. So, then the next name was Vibe Electronic Media due to the web design, graphic design and a media production company going on at the time. Though we broadcasted many times over the years under that name, it was a college thing. Video games don't fall under that. So to encompass all we do if we ever to each one again, Vibe Electronic Arts was born. Vibe, is a feeling you get from something, Electronic is a term used with Electronics it's universal, and Arts is another universal word. If someone else had these 3 words together, that would be an issue, but it's not. This isn't something I pulled off the internet. This describes a process of a developing company that spans over a decade. 2 Names, one is more distinctive, and actually has a name. That would be like saying "Pats Automotive" and a company named "Automotive" are the same company using the same name, when clearly there two very different companies. Electronic Art is a Genera. Names these days are so overlapping it's not even funny. Go look at a business registry from one city to the next, you'll find this happens more then you think.

"Vibe Electronic Arts" is the name of the company.

forrestcupp
June 30th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Go look at a business registry from one city to the next, you'll find this happens more then you think.

True, but most of those examples aren't nearly as big and powerful as Electronic Arts, which is another well known video game company.

I'd be more concerned about people being turned off because they think you're trying to ride on the coattails of Electronic Arts than I would about having legal trouble with it. But that's just my opinion.

Zerocool Djx
June 30th, 2011, 11:44 PM
True, but most of those examples aren't nearly as big and powerful as Electronic Arts, which is another well known video game company. I'd be more concerned about people being turned off because they think you're trying to ride on the coattails of Electronic Arts than I would about having legal trouble with it. But that's just my opinion.

Junior,

I'm not riding the coat tails of anyone, get that straight right now. I've had my company name for over 10 years, and the thought of EA didn't even come to mind to me till after I made the splash screen and honestly you pointed this out. All I did is add a few adjectives to explain a subdivision of it in relation to what is being developed within my own company. It's not my fault EA wasn't more original and actually put a noun in their own name to make it more distinctive themselves. By your argument every electronic producer in the world who say's they are a member of the "Electronic Arts" should be sanctioned for misrepresentation portraying they are a member of EA, when there not.

As I quite clearly pointed out, these are two totally different companies, period, end of story, your welcome to your opinion, but it's a weak one considering the structure of the written English language. You give me another name for Electronic(s) and Art(s) and I'll consider it. Electronic is Electronic(s) and Art(s) is Art(s). Why not go give me another name for the color yellow while your at it.

P.s. You wanna talk about riding coat tails, go talk to the people developing Wine, I'm sure they would love to talk to you about that.

forrestcupp
July 1st, 2011, 01:08 AM
No offense. I really wasn't implying that you are riding on their coattails. I was just pointing out that if two people in this thread have already compared your name to the more famous Electronic Arts, many more people are bound to. I think it's ok, though.

Aside from my initial thoughts of the company name, the splash screen is really awesome. I'm excited for you.

magmon
July 1st, 2011, 01:10 AM
You left out Spell Sword/Paladin...

Zerocool Djx
July 1st, 2011, 01:57 AM
You left out Spell Sword/Paladin...

Penciled in! :)

Zerocool Djx
July 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Hello, I wanted to introduce you all to the composer that I am working with for the the music for the game I am making. The name of the game is going to be released soon!

Here is her website and Bio:

If you enjoy good classical music please support her!

www.adinaspire.net (http://www.adinaspire.net)

Adina Spire (born in 1977) is a Romanian Cellist, Classical Composer and performer. She works almost exclusively in her native Romania and in Russia as a sacred music composer, director of choir and orchestra and teacher of film composition. In 2008 she founded the Bezdin Ensemble, a specialized ensemble for sacred music, consisting of a chamber orchestra, choir and vocalists.

It is impossible to fully appreciate the music of Adina Spire without an understanding of its historical context. Its roots reach deeply into the traditional Romanian and Christian orthodox culture, with its shadow and mystery, under the bleak, searing light of her countrys recent struggle against its totalitarian government. In the 1989 Romanian Revolution and subsequent civil war, the country was thrown into chaos. Violence and suffering were everywhere. Adina Spire found herself suddenly an orphan. With no one to help, and nowhere to go, she was placed in the orphanage of Bezdin, a monastery near Arad. Adina Spires music is a tapestry of complex, interrelated themes. Grief, nostalgia, fear, solitude, hope, brutality, innocence, protest, sensuality and longing, all find expression in layers of overlapping sonic colors.
There is rebellion in her music. It is the protest of the soul against the darkness of the Forgotten, hammering at the monolith of indifference. One can hear not only the cry of innocents dying in hunger, war, and neglect around the world today, but also of renewal, of solace, of the Divine. Adina Spires ideas and emotions form the harmonic and dynamic designs that frame her music. There is a slowly shifting ambiguity, as intense feelings seem to peer out from behind a frozen and fearful facade. She freely utilizes folk and orthodox compositional idioms in her writing. But her method is also influenced by the film-editing techniques taken from her work in the cinema. Often discarding orthodox modulation, the composer cuts abruptly between keys or slowly dissolves one chord into another by accumulating their pitches into blurred clusters.

The tonic at any given point in her score is a disputed issue. It may be suddenly established by the orchestra, and then completely absent. These arpeggio-clusters, which have their precedents in the cinematic soundtracks of suspense and horror movies, are tonal ambiguities themselves. Her layering of tonality and atonality, can suggest change, or hesitation, or at times, a wistful hope. In no other composer's works do the solo instruments or the choir speak so quietly, nor do they venture such modest pitch excursions so diffidently, before a wall of atonal abstraction. Often, tempos are so slow as to give the impression of motionlessness. This effect is sustained even when short note-values are in play, by the use of small and very simple progressions, tense pedal points, and agonized suspensions. Adina Spire works with extreme contrasts between moments of tonal delicacy and cataclysmic avalanches of atonal sound. Between these extremes, time seems to stand still, while the music pivots from key to key, as if gradually shifting its viewpoint. She uses timbre as lighting, and sound positioning as camera angle, in her three-dimensional orchestrations. Her cinematic compositions are the work of a personal and uniquely moving voice.

Zerocool Djx
July 1st, 2011, 09:34 PM
Don't let anyone ever tell you programing is easy, lol... I been programing the character settings all day, I need a drink, lol... I'll try to post a new video soon, maybe even today! :)

NovaAesa
July 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
As I quite clearly pointed out, these are two totally different companies, period, end of story,
I don't mean to harp on about this, but I think it's better that you sort it out now rather than later (considering that you game looks awesome and you will probably be distributing/selling it in the years to come).

Your company name "Vibe Electronic Arts" would be clearly in violation of Electronic Arts Inc.'s trademark "Electronic Arts". It's a violation because it passes the confusion test. Both "Vibe Electronic Arts" and "Electronic Arts" are very similar, and both companies sell the same product.

EDIT: this is all under the assumption that you are in America (you voice on youtube sounds American to me), if Electronic Arts Inc. doesn't hold the trademark "Electronic Arts" in your country, go for it!

undecim
July 2nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
I don't mean to harp on about this, but I think it's better that you sort it out now rather than later (considering that you game looks awesome and you will probably be distributing/selling it in the years to come).

Your company name "Vibe Electronic Arts" would be clearly in violation of Electronic Arts Inc.'s trademark "Electronic Arts". It's a violation because it passes the confusion test. Both "Vibe Electronic Arts" and "Electronic Arts" are very similar, and both companies sell the same product.

EDIT: this is all under the assumption that you are in America (you voice on youtube sounds American to me), if Electronic Arts Inc. doesn't hold the trademark "Electronic Arts" in your country, go for it!

Seeing phrase "Electronic Arts" when I start a game sends me into a murderous rage.

Even knowing 100% that your game has nothing to do with EA, players can still subconsciously associate it... And that's something you don't want. IMHO, it would be best if you don't put the "Electronic Arts" part of your splash screen in the game. Just leave it as "Vibe", and you can still put "Vibe Electronic Arts" in the credits.

Zerocool Djx
July 2nd, 2011, 02:37 PM

EDIT: this is all under the assumption that you are in America (you voice on YouTube sounds American to me), if Electronic Arts Inc. doesn't hold the trademark "Electronic Arts" in your country, go for it!

I'll Look into the terminology a bit closer, this the first time confusion test was brought up. So well see I guess.

KIAaze
July 2nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Also,..

You could make it a "charityware" like vim: http://www.vim.org/about.php
:)

Also your poll (What is your favorit kind of Avatar in a game?) doesn't make much sense to me, so I didn't answer.
Do you mean "character" by "avatar" and therefore somehow "gameplay"?

I would also be in favor of a game with stealth elements like thief, as mentioned earlier.
But that doesn't mean I don't like other types of games. What's most important to me is a good singleplayer mode (good story or just very fun to play (like world of goo), non-repetitive gameplay). Multiplayer can be fun sometimes, but I never bought a purely multiplayer game.

Linuxratty
July 2nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
What is your favorit kind of Avatar in a game?

None of those.

Zerocool Djx
July 2nd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Also your poll (What is your favorit kind of Avatar in a game?) doesn't make much sense to me, so I didn't answer. Do you mean "character" by "avatar" and therefore somehow "gameplay"?

Yea, I meant to put in Character, opps! People figured it out tho.

Anyway, Update video time!

Click here to see it :) (http://www.youtube.com/user/spdfrkmr2?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/ZotSf61A7DU)

PhillyPhil
July 3rd, 2011, 02:07 AM
''Vibe Electronic Arts'' is the name of the company.

I don't *want* it to be the case (I like seeing underdogs beat the big guys) but I would bet any amount of money you like that any actual company with ''Electronic Arts'' in their name, building computer games, that gets noticed by EA will be wiped out (i.e. forced to change their name) by EA.
'Electronic Arts' is their trademark, and you are in the same industry - there is absolutely no chance that they will just say ''Oh well, he's put 'Vibe' in front of it, nothing we can do...'' and walk away.

Looks like you've been working on the micro stuff (movement, hit points, good looking graphics), but what about the macro stuff: world generation, storyline, npc interaction, user interface, design, AI, game database, gameplay.

Zerocool Djx
July 3rd, 2011, 02:38 AM
I don't *want* it to be the case (I like seeing underdogs beat the big guys) but I would bet any amount of money you like that any actual company with ''Electronic Arts'' in their name, building computer games, that gets noticed by EA will be wiped out (i.e. forced to change their name) by EA.
'Electronic Arts' is their trademark, and you are in the same industry - there is absolutely no chance that they will just say ''Oh well, he's put 'Vibe' in front of it, nothing we can do...'' and walk away.

Looks like you've been working on the micro stuff (movement, hit points, good looking graphics), but what about the macro stuff: world generation, storyline, npc interaction, user interface, design, AI, game database, gameplay.

Yea, I'm gonna change it prolly, no biggie. I wasn't aware of the "confusion clause" but well see. But, focus on the game for now not the name ok? ok.. :) LOL..

All the "Macro" stuff is being coded, well right now, I am just taking a break at this very moment. I got the first scene or "Part of the world" Built and I am going to build on from that. You'll prolly see that in the upcoming first release advertisement video. I think yea got it backwards tho on "Micro" and "Macro", but only from a coding aspect, lol. There is sooo many more scripts in the game its self and the player character then the environment. I can build 1 game scene a day, those are easy, the detail of the characters, good and evil, wow those are going to be the pain in the butt, so yes, the world is being built already. The storyline, well your gonna crap yourself when you hear it. NPC is about 60% done, that will need to be addressed more as the world (scenes) get built. User interface is what I am working on next I believe. AI is an on going project, that's basically the entire program/game working within it's self. The database/reg files just got done 20 min ago, And, game play much like AI will factor in as the rest of the world is born.

So I would say the ship is built and where waiting for the sail to launch into the world as to what this could be. 90% of video game making is graphic and optimization. But the gaming engine I am working with is amazing. There is nothing in the scene you see on the YouTube video, but even then I am pulling over 800Fps, which will drop considerably as I add objects to the world. I played a racing demo on the game, one I didn't make, and I was still pulling in over 250fps on that with background music playing and the car running, so I'm not even remotely worried about performance. I would love to try and stretch the data as far as I can. I mean playability only breaks down under 30fps, but anything more then 60ish-Fps is a waste of processing power. I dunno about you, but I'd like to use what I payed for to it's full potential.

forrestcupp
July 3rd, 2011, 03:55 AM
I would love to try and stretch the data as far as I can. I mean playability only breaks down under 30fps, but anything more then 60ish-Fps is a waste of processing power. I dunno about you, but I'd like to use what I payed for to it's full potential.

That's pretty awesome as long as you're not stretching it until you get down to 30-60fps on a top of the line, high-end machine. If you do that, it will be unplayable on anything less, and not many people will be able to play the game. Don't forget about all of those entry to mid level computers out there that most of us have. If you do, it will definitely hurt your sales.

undecim
July 3rd, 2011, 04:57 AM
That's pretty awesome as long as you're not stretching it until you get down to 30-60fps on a top of the line, high-end machine. If you do that, it will be unplayable on anything less, and not many people will be able to play the game. Don't forget about all of those entry to mid level computers out there that most of us have. If you do, it will definitely hurt your sales.

This is why quality settings are adjustable

forrestcupp
July 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
This is why quality settings are adjustable

I was just wanting to make sure he doesn't forget that minor detail.

Zerocool Djx
July 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
I was just wanting to make sure he doesn't forget that minor detail.

I'm speaking in averages... but yea it will have that.

Zerocool Djx
July 12th, 2011, 09:50 AM
New video update,..

Video Game Update 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCQ5MZiHCfE&feature=player_profilepage)

4:30am,... why am I up so early...

del_diablo
July 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Scaremongering are we? Good one.

DangerOnTheRanger
July 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Scaremongering are we? Good one.

I think it's (that name similarity between this guy's company and EA) quite the valid cause for alarm...

Starlight
July 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I think it's (that name similarity between this guy's company and EA) quite the valid cause for alarm...

I agree... after watching the first video (the one with the company logo) I thought "Wow, an EA game developer is posting on Ubuntu Forums!" o_O and only later I realized that it's a different company with a very similar name.

Anyway, good luck with your game, it seems that it's going to be really cool! :)

Zerocool Djx
July 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Tired of talking about the name, the name, the name, the name... I mean, what? no one has anything else to say or contribute other then empty thoughts on one detail of something that has a huge undertaking? Yes, Now I am getting annoyed... So follow me on you tube for more updates on my company and my game. I will no longer post on Ubuntu about updates because honestly it's utter annoying that I post the history behind my name and no one bothers to back read posts before shooting off the first thing that comes to mind about it. I thank you to all the people who had actually had something constructive to say. Some of those points I have even developed into the game, and I invite you to my page on YouTube to talk/contribute more if you like. But for those that post empty comments about details that have already been discussed in length, goodbye...