PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Speed Isues

cgimusic
June 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I have just installed 11.04 desktop edition on a freshly built machine with a 3GHz processor and 8GB ram. It has 8GB swap space and a 250GB partition which runs along side a 750GB Windows partition. The problem is it is running incredibly slowly. The interface freezes up every few minutes and stuff takes ages to load. I have run Ubuntu on computers with less than a 1GHz processor before and it has been fine. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Should I just reinstall?

mörgæs
June 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

First you could run top and have it running in the background while doing normal work. Do you see any process pulling a heavy load?

Press q for quitting top.

cgimusic
June 19th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Nothing seems to be using an abnormal amount of CPU or memory. When the interface freezes the title bar menu (File, Edit) keeps flickering on all applications. I am unable to change windows but I can change to a different application by clicking on one in the dock. It seems strange that the entire interface is stuck, I can't even click on desktop icons. I might just have to reinstall it. I might try 10.04 instead.

mörgæs
June 21st, 2011, 09:45 AM
How did 10.04 work?

cgimusic
June 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
How did 10.04 work?

No. Unfortunately I had the exact same problem.

mörgæs
June 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Which graphics card do you have?

cgimusic
June 22nd, 2011, 11:06 PM
Which graphics card do you have?

Intel Integrated HD Graphics. I will be getting an ATI card in a few days so I could also try that if the graphics card might be the problem.

mörgæs
June 23rd, 2011, 01:15 AM
Yes, keep us posted if you still have problems with the new card.
You could also try switching between open- and closed source drivers for the present card.

cgimusic
June 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM
So I tried with the ATI card and still the same problem. I have no more ideas as to what could be causing it.

mörgæs
June 25th, 2011, 07:40 PM
You could try this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

A lot of people knowing of screen cards are posting there.

cgimusic
August 3rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
So I have finally had time to do some further investigation. I have the same problems on other Ubuntu based systems. Debian GNOME, Debian KDE and Linux Mint all display the exact same problems but I can't figure out what is the problem here. It doesn't seem to be window manager related. I really hope one of you can help me out. I am going to try out Fedora and CentOS and see if they run ok. Here are the full system specs if that helps:

Motherboard - AsRock Z68 Extreme 4
Graphics - Raedon HD 5870
Processor - Intel Sandybridge 2500K
Hard Disk - Samsung F3 1TB
RAM - Komputerbay 2x4GB DDR3

Please help; using windows all the time is killing me.

mörgæs
August 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Then I am out of ideas, sorry. Maybe best is to post again here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331