PDA

View Full Version : Python based OS

ki4jgt
June 18th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I thought of PyOS, but it was already taken. Here's the OS concept (spent the last 10 minutes on it.) I'm wanting to put 2 more folders in rootfs (applications and network cache) the rootfs wouldn't be accessible by the user (only the user's personal use folder). If the Python script stopped running, the system would shut down. The system would have access to everything normal desktops have access to, and would automount, so the user wouldn't have to issue a command. Have any suggestions?

ki4jgt
June 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Why is this marked as solved?

Spice Weasel
June 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
http://i.imgur.com/J5l6c.jpg

ki4jgt
June 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Get the pic. LOL, sorry, I just love the concept. It's kind of cool having a completely text based os.

fatality_uk
June 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Where does Python get info about what's on the HD to display in a text based file manager?

Joe of loath
June 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Write a kernel in Python. Go on, I dare you :lol:

Tibuda
June 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Are you Kenny Strawn on a new account?

ki4jgt
June 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Write a kernel in Python. Go on, I dare you :lol:

OK, LOL, the entire OS, is obviously not in Python :-) I was going with Linux kernel. But, seriously, here's what I have so far. . .

The initial file is PYOS.py

ki4jgt
June 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Are you Kenny Strawn on a new account?

Nope

Tibuda
June 18th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Nope

Too bad, I loved his posts before he was b&. But I'm starting to enjoy yours.

ki4jgt
June 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Too bad, I loved his posts before he was b&. But I'm starting to enjoy yours.

May I ask why? If it's in my character, I may want to produce more LOL

Tibuda
June 18th, 2011, 05:53 PM
It is just the motivation to make stuff happen or change the world.

ki4jgt
June 18th, 2011, 06:13 PM
It is just the motivation to make stuff happen or change the world.

Thanks for the compliment (I Think :-))

undecim
June 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
ITT: Confusion about the phrase "Operating System"

I think a Python-based OS built on the Linux kernel would be awesome. It would be easy for code newbies to change just about anything.

Device drivers and such will still need to be binary, though, and maybe some computationally intensive tasks.

Though this would end up being a lot of work to do. You would pretty much be refactoring the entire OS, except the kernel. Perhaps it would be better to just a python based DE.

(Also, I Haven't looked at your script yet, but from what you're describing, I think you've basically written a shell... PART of the OS, but not an OS.)

Joe of loath
June 18th, 2011, 07:15 PM
In the old days there was cshell, where the syntax was similar to that of C. What about pyshell, where the syntax is similar to that of python, for scripting?

undecim
June 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM
In the old days there was cshell, where the syntax was similar to that of C. What about pyshell, where the syntax is similar to that of python, for scripting?

in a terminal, type 'python' and press enter.

Thewhistlingwind
June 18th, 2011, 07:44 PM

#Fail

ki4jgt
June 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM
ITT: Confusion about the phrase "Operating System"

I think a Python-based OS built on the Linux kernel would be awesome. It would be easy for code newbies to change just about anything.

Device drivers and such will still need to be binary, though, and maybe some computationally intensive tasks.

Though this would end up being a lot of work to do. You would pretty much be refactoring the entire OS, except the kernel. Perhaps it would be better to just a python based DE.

(Also, I Haven't looked at your script yet, but from what you're describing, I think you've basically written a shell... PART of the OS, but not an OS.)

Well, I was sort of insinuating a DE. The networking and such would still be done by NM. All the programs would be terminal based. It could go on top of an Ubuntu LiveCD, or any other distro for that matter. That way, USB, WIFI, Sound, would already be included.

krapp
June 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Please enlighten a Linux user completely ignorant of code: what would be the advantage of a Python OS?

Joe of loath
June 18th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Please enlighten a Linux user completely ignorant of code: what would be the advantage of a Python OS?

Someone who knows python (probably the easiest language to learn) could modify the OS incredibly easily, I guess?

ki4jgt
June 19th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Someone who knows python (probably the easiest language to learn) could modify the OS incredibly easily, I guess?

Don't forget BASIC :-) That's why I switched to Python. Besides being interchangable between computers, It's text based. . . Which is what I love most about it.

Dustin2128
June 19th, 2011, 08:32 AM
What does the python interpreter run on? :P It'd be pretty sweet though if you could figure it out.

earthpigg
June 19th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Well, I was sort of insinuating a DE. The networking and such would still be done by NM. All the programs would be terminal based. It could go on top of an Ubuntu LiveCD, or any other distro for that matter. That way, USB, WIFI, Sound, would already be included.

What you are describing is not a computer operating system.

It is a user interface.

And there is absolutely not a single thing wrong with creating or working on a user interface that you see potential value in. In fact, I would say that is a very good thing - if you see value in something, it is almost certain that other people will see value in it as well. So by all means, hack away, have a blast, learn, all that good stuff, and continue to share what you are working on.

But please call it what it is: it is a user interface, not an operating system. Your credibility is damaged if you claim otherwise, and I don't think you want that.

Tibuda
June 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM
But please call it what it is: it is a user interface, not an operating system. Your credibility is damaged if you claim otherwise, and I don't think you want that.

Don't be harsh. He is just confused.

ki4jgt
June 19th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Well, the OS, is actually based on Python. It's not harsh, though, it's fact. Most people would assume it to be labeled a UI, The terminology was misleading, He was simply stating this. No harshness to it, on that note. . .

Does anyone know any apps I can include with this, I mean, real, quality, command-line apps, which have been created in python?

jerenept
June 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Well, the OS, is actually based on Python. It's not harsh, though, it's fact. Most people would assume it to be labeled a UI, The terminology was misleading, He was simply stating this. No harshness to it, on that note. . .

Does anyone know any apps I can include with this, I mean, real, quality, command-line apps, which have been created in python?

Start out with cat, it's pretty simple.

ki4jgt
June 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Start out with cat, it's pretty simple.

have a link? All I keep getting is a Python eating a Cat from Youtube. . .

ki4jgt
June 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786

An OS written entirely in Python? Really? Well... Python is a scripting language, and scripting languages are not known for their speed compared to compiled languages, so an OS based entirely around Python would be v e r y s l o w.

Answer to question already answered please ref: post #18

Since it is command-line based, it will require less resources to pull off, and less speed. The places where speed will be an issue, it will be up to the programmer of that particular program to maneuver the obstacles.

jeffathehutt
June 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
If you can't find one pre-made, you could probably create your own cat in python. I can't imagine it would be more than 20 lines. :)

Hwæt
June 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Answer to question already answered please ref: post #18

Since it is command-line based, it will require less resources to pull off, and less speed. The places where speed will be an issue, it will be up to the programmer of that particular program to maneuver the obstacles.

Even as a text-based language, Python is extremely slow. If you really think that you can go somewhere with it, though, give it a shot. I'm sure plenty of people called Linus crazy. :)

earthpigg
June 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
have a link? All I keep getting is a Python eating a Cat from Youtube. . .

open a terminal

cat .bashrc
man cat

Barrucadu
June 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM

I might be misinterpreting you, but how is the OS written in Python of you're using the Linux kernel and sticking this on top of Ubuntu (using, as you said, NetworkManager for example)?

NightwishFan
June 19th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Please start from the basics and work your way up..

KiwiNZ
June 19th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I have removed a number of posts from this thread, why ? Read the following section of the Code of Conduct, it is self explanatory.....

"3. Trolling, Attacks and Flaming: These are always forbidden......"

ki4jgt
June 19th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I might be misinterpreting you, but how is the OS written in Python of you're using the Linux kernel and sticking this on top of Ubuntu (using, as you said, NetworkManager for example)?

I didn't say it was written in Python. I said it was based on Python. As in that's the theme of the OS. This is why I said it could be misleading. Based could also be interpreted as founded or starting off of, Python, that is why I said Most people assume it to be labeled a UI, but the theme of the OS, is Python, so it is based on Python. However base could be interpreted as actual base where the OS, would bootup from a python kernel. I think it's possible, but VERY COMPLEX to achieve. I know I'm not going to attempt it :-) but from perspective of theme, it is based on Python. All the programs will be Python. I'm even looking into ncurses and a little more into threading for multiprocessing.

Quadunit404
June 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I have removed a number of posts from this thread, why ? Read the following section of the Code of Conduct, it is self explanatory.....

"3. Trolling, Attacks and Flaming: These are always forbidden......"

And I suppose that my posts were among the victims.

On topic: If you want to succeed, find a good book on Python, and make sure it's up-to-date. You did state you have no programming experience, right?

And further, what about your Python-centered DOS distribution you wanted to make a few months back? What happened to that? :|

ki4jgt
June 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM
And I suppose that my posts were among the victims.

On topic: If you want to succeed, find a good book on Python, and make sure it's up-to-date. You did state you have no programming experience, right?

And further, what about your Python-centered DOS distribution you wanted to make a few months back? What happened to that? :|

This is an offshoot of that project. You guys said it had security glitches, so I've made some improvements :-) Linux based now. . . I do have programming expirience. I programmed in BASIC (on and off) for the last 9 years. I would've brought this back up there, but it was just too hopeless, the idea was DOS, now it's Linux.

***EDIT: not to mention the over whelming amount of people, who would've opened the thread, read the first few posts, and then said. . . Hmmm. . . DOS won't work. So, new idea required new thread.