PDA

View Full Version : Regional Meetings?

weudel
June 17th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I understand that one of the barriers to having SC LoCo meetings is the inability of many of us to travel to another part of the state for a meet-up. I, personally, am tied to the Upstate.

Do we have four people who would be willing to get on a monthly Skype call or IRC chat, and hold a local meeting for your area?

I'm thinking the four areas that would be represented would be Greenville, Columbia, Florence/Myrtle Beach, and Charleston. I know this doesn't make a meeting close to everyone, but it will make the commute easier for most.

We could keep a unified approach towards the entire state, yet still show some regional flavoring.

I will volunteer for the Greenville area, but will have to hold all of my events on Saturdays, as that is the only day that I am not on call for my day job.

weudel
July 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Wow... I'll take that as a "no"....

scatteredstones
July 3rd, 2011, 02:52 AM
I could help with an irc chat if need be. Not to sound contrary, but what exactly would be the point of these meetings?

weudel
July 4th, 2011, 02:34 AM
IRC chats are all well and good, but the world in general just wants to meet up somewhere and discuss things. The point of a LoCo Team is to get the word out about Ubuntu, so regular announced meetings that outsiders can come to could do wonders.

Not to sound contrary, but I don't see the point in meeting up on IRC chat... especially if we're not letting everyone interested know explicitly what is going on.

GeeLo
July 12th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Even though it is possible to do, I think this SC group should start having meetings on IRC for the time being.. if interest builds up more, then try to schedule monthly meetings at a "central" location.. Columbia probably being the most favorable location.

I saw the other post about LinuxFest 2011.. and I noticed that Ubuntu wasn't listed on the LinuxFest page (Redhat / Fedora was though) , I would like to try and ramp things up a bit with you guys.

I was also told by a few users outside of this SC LoCo, that this is a "closed" group and only a few members here make decisions, but I would like to offer my help, regardless.

Geelo

weudel
July 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM
There's supposed to be an IRC meeting on the last Wednesday of the month. I'm going to try my hardest to be there. I think we should try for an actual meetup at least once a quarter, but that seems to be just me.

The LoCo has been inactive for at least the last couple of years, so I'm a bit skeptical.

scatteredstones
July 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'll try to be on the chat as well. What time are the meetings typically?

I'd like to see the LoCo wake back up as well, though I know it will take some work.

weudel
July 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SouthCarolinaTeam

says 8:00 on the wiki....

scatteredstones
July 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Sorry. Somehow I missed the wiki.
Thanks!

grmreaper
September 14th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'm with you guys on getting things ramped back up...let me know what I can do.