PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Error in Upgrade-manager - installArchives() failed:

Rincewind42
June 17th, 2011, 11:50 AM
When I try to install my systems updates using the upgrade-manager, I get the error "installArchives() failed: ". There is no other details given. Can anyone think what the solution may be?

I am using Ubuntu 11.4. I have already tried doing

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
This didn't fix anything.

bapoumba
June 18th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Have you been installing some package before you get the error ?
It is quite curious the error message does not point to a specific package causing problem. See here for ex: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1593717

Rincewind42
June 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM
The only installed packages would have been from the previous update the week before. When searching the other threads, there is usually more errors in the report after this one but I'm just getting one line with no detail.

bapoumba
June 19th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I also have been looking around and this error is mainly found when installing proprietary wireless or video drivers.
You can have a look at this older bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/756204) that points to he first idea I had: something must have happened before you get this error. Without additional info, it is going to be difficult to help you..

Rincewind42
June 24th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Decided the fastest way to fix this was just to reinstall Ubuntu. It may not be the most elegant solution, in fact it's not really a solution at all, but I'm back to a stable working system in a relatively short time.

Rubi1200
June 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I am glad you got this sorted out in the end.

I am sure bapoumba would be happy if you marked this Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.

bapoumba
June 26th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the thread title :)

I am also glad you solved your issue. Reinstalling is rarely necessary. Rarely does not mean never. Sorry I could not help you better, having a functional install is sometimes more important than applying an elegant fix. Have fun!