PDA

View Full Version : Nero for linux?

An Sanct
June 17th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hello there!

I'm wondering if any of you had any experience with Nero 4 for Linux? Is it good/bad/mediocre ? Comparable to K3B (which I use now)?

Does Linux need a Nero like commercial application at all???

I have seen really good and low level optical media authoring tools ... then stumbled upon Nero, that is why I wonder ...

Morbius1
June 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM
You are about to get deluged with all kinds of posts about real men use "fill in the blank" and why pay for something when Linux has something for free.

I don't use any of the other features of Nero as I only have one simple need. I need to burn a DVD. None of the apps in the repository can do that with either one of the recorders on my machine - not one. Nero handles it every time - repeatedly - without error.

I'm not a penguinista so I face no moral dilemma about using paid proprietary software on my Linux machine.

User3k
June 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Real men don't need programs like that. I just get a hammer and chisel... ;)

lightstream
June 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I will probably call myself a penguinista from now on, cos it sounds cute.

as for paid software on Linux, I personally think it's good news that the platform is able to attract commercial interest. I'm going to look into this nero as the available solutions I've tried so far have been seriously lacking.

everyone has to make a living, it's just how you choose to do it.

my problem is with software pirates, such as Microsoft, who use excessive bullying, intimidation and deceit to squeeze money out of punters and to stifle competition.

nomko
June 17th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Hello there!

I'm wondering if any of you had any experience with Nero 4 for Linux? Is it good/bad/mediocre ? Comparable to K3B (which I use now)?

Back in the days when i used Windows i had Nero. My experience: it's a good and solid program. More then enough options. But like Windows itself, with eacht new version they changed the lay-out, more options, more settings, more stuff which a regular user doesn't needed. With Ubuntu i use K3B. Works pretty well, never had problems (like all those problems users have with Brasero), it's stable and easy to use.

No! Why does Linux needs commercial stuff? Mostly commercial stuff is closed-source too. So this will go against the basic thought of Linux being open-source. Mostlikely you pay for the licence, not for the program itself.

I have seen really good and low level optical media authoring tools ... then stumbled upon Nero, that is why I wonder ... You really don't need Nero. K3B is more than sufficient enough for daily or regular use!

Topsiho
June 17th, 2011, 12:56 PM
If Brasero, or K3B, do what you want then there is no reason at all to buy an application, even if it has many options which you need or don't need.

If Brasero and K3B let you down however, and there are no more applications available in the repositories which could be useful, then of course you can have a look around. Possibly in sourceforge you might find something you could try, and even you could buy a proprietary program such as Nero. Using Linux doesn't exclude this latter option at all, even if that means that you'll have to put up with all the disadvantages of closed source, and anything proprietary, among them possible backdoors and included malware, which is the real letdown.

I can't say that Brasero has ever let me down, it's simple, and it works, so what do I want more :)

Topsiho

An Sanct
June 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Back in the days when i used Windows i had Nero. My experience: it's a good and solid program. More then enough options. But like Windows itself, with eacht new version they changed the lay-out, more options, more settings, more stuff which a regular user doesn't needed. With Ubuntu i use K3B. Works pretty well, never had problems (like all those problems users have with Brasero), it's stable and easy to use.

No! Why does Linux needs commercial stuff? Mostly commercial stuff is closed-source too. So this will go against the basic thought of Linux being open-source. Mostlikely you pay for the licence, not for the program itself.

You really don't need Nero. K3B is more than sufficient enough for daily or regular use!

Didn't want to start a small war here *grin*

I used MS OSes for a really long periode of time ... from one of the first DOSes, that came on a single floppy (!), up to Windows XP (even still while Vista was a plague), also I used Nero ... and I can only say, that Nero IS the very best CD burning tool out there for Windows OS, but I hated to see it grow from a simple "burn the disc" tool to a "burn the disc, edit audio/video/***, plant your vegetables, etc" tool and along side with that, grew the size, now it is at an unbelievable 370MB, just to burn those family pictures and company documents ... (and edit all sorts of things ... anyhow - stuff I do not need)

I wanted to hear from actual Nero4Linux users, if it is good or not.

gandaran
June 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Didn't want to start a small war here *grin*

I used MS OSes for a really long periode of time ... from one of the first DOSes, that came on a single floppy (!), up to Windows XP (even still while Vista was a plague), also I used Nero ... and I can only say, that Nero IS the very best CD burning tool out there for Windows OS, but I hated to see it grow from a simple "burn the disc" tool to a "burn the disc, edit audio/video/***, plant your vegetables, etc" tool and along side with that, grew the size, now it is at an unbelievable 370MB, just to burn those family pictures and company documents ... (and edit all sorts of things ... anyhow - stuff I do not need)

I wanted to hear from actual Nero4Linux users, if it is good or not.
yes, Nero Linux very good and simple not like the windows version (I hate the windows version!) I have it installed and use it sometimes even though I have never had any problem using Brasero or Gnomebaker

yetiman64
June 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hello there!

I have seen really good and low level optical media authoring tools ... then stumbled upon Nero, that is why I wonder ...
I'm still using Nero 3 for Linux, it's that good for me that I haven't even bothered upgrading. I believe the major reason for upgrading is for HD stuff (which I don't use).

It is the only progam I've been able to use to burn video dvds for use on a standalone dvd player successfully all the time. I had regular failures when doing burns with brasero, k3b and xfburn etc (tried quite a few burning programs and created a heap of "drinks coasters" ;)).

I don't know about Nero Linux 4, but version 3 only comes as a 32 bit version. To get it working here on a 64 bit install I had to install ia32libs and do "sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture <nero-installer-name>.deb".

It does a lot of work for me burning video dvds etc. Most all other burning I find easier/more convenient to use brasero, though Nero is fully featured. The $AUD30 I spent on it was well worth the money for the output/results it has given me.

Cheers from yetiman64

cottfcfan
June 17th, 2011, 01:26 PM
+1 for Nerolinux4.
Its the only app I use for burning now, having created too many coasters, out of cds.
With Nerolinux4 you get a good quality burn everytime.
The downside, you have to pay for it after months trial, but imo its worth it.

nomko
June 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
+1 for Nerolinux4.
Its the only app I use for burning now, having created too many coasters, out of cds.
With Nerolinux4 you get a good quality burn everytime.
The downside, you have to pay for it after months trial, but imo its worth it.

I never made coasters with K3B, only with Brasero. I stick to 1 cd/dvd brand of which i can trust on that they are all okay.

An Sanct
June 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Thank you all for the reply! :)

I also have some 400 CDs, that are not functional, but cannot blame K3B for that :)

(I call it the "Tower of Fail", since they are stacked on top of each other)

I'm closing this one down now. Thank you again ;)

jmore9
June 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I have found that k3b works with just about everything. Thats all i have been using since i been using linux.

I seem to remember trying the liuux version of nero once about a year ago. Must not have been favorably impressed because i am not using it.

My windows machine uses nero.

handy
June 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I've been using NeroLinux since version 2. I have stayed with version 3. as I have no need for Blue-ray or any other changes that version 4. brings.

I used to burn a lot (20->30+) of disks one after the other, I found that I was getting errors when using the various open-source Linux tools for the job. I don't get them when I use Nero.

Just as likely the open-source tools for the job have developed beyond that problem, (I surely hope that they have). I have Nero, it does what I need, so I'll keep on using it for the foreseeable future.

Perfect Storm
June 17th, 2011, 07:32 PM
+1 for Nero Linux from me.
None of the open source alternative have been sufficient or reliable for me, sadly. Nero have never let me down. So the US$19 is well worth spend.

Off topic: If you're looking for some Nero Themes to fit more to the Gnome icon themes I've made two -

Elementary theme: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Nero+Linux+elementary+Icon+Theme?content=141380

Faenza theme: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Nero+Linux+Faenza+Icon+Theme?content=141379

jerenept
June 18th, 2011, 01:42 AM
You are about to get deluged with all kinds of posts about real men use "fill in the blank" and why pay for something when Linux has something for free.

I don't use any of the other features of Nero as I only have one simple need. I need to burn a DVD. None of the apps in the repository can do that with either one of the recorders on my machine - not one. Nero handles it every time - repeatedly - without error.

I'm not a penguinista so I face no moral dilemma about using paid proprietary software on my Linux machine.

Real men use wodim.

wirepuller134
June 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Another vote for Nero here, we are using version 4 here.

mips
June 18th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I have a serial# for Nero6, what linux version does that translate to as I know I can use the same serial# for a linux version?

Perfect Storm
June 18th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I have a serial# for Nero6, what linux version does that translate to as I know I can use the same serial# for a linux version?

Some years ago when NeroLinux came out it was possible if you bought a serial to the latest Windows that you get a 'free copy' (as in using the same serial) of NeroLinux. But it had to be the latest version of Nero for Windows.
But I don't think it applies anymore.

Other than that, why not try the 30-days trial and if you like it buy it. It's only US$20 (compared to Windows US$50+ (depending which version you want)).

mips
June 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Some years ago when NeroLinux came out it was possible if you bought a serial to the latest Windows that you get a 'free copy' (as in using the same serial) of NeroLinux. But it had to be the latest version of Nero for Windows.

That was the very reason I purchased a Windows version but I can't remember which Linux version I got access to with the purchase.

Brandel Valico
June 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I tried it during Version 3 and liked it well enough. Used Nero alot when I ran Windows. Now though I use K3B for most of my burning. and ManDVD for Video DVD's. Works good for me.

But as others have said. I'm more about the freedom to do what you want to do and use what you need or want to use. So if you want to use Nero and it works for you. Use it.