PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] chown vs chmod

fisheater
June 16th, 2011, 10:55 PM
hi all,

i'm a bit out of my depth with this questions. i had to rebuild after a mobo failure, and a few other bumps that wouldnt allow me to copy my HD into my new tower. now i have installed 11.04 and am reinstalling and repermissioning all my files.

question: set ownership of my files (non-encrypted)

sudo chown -R fisheater /home/fisheater (1)
sudo chmod -R 700 /home/fisheater (2)
sudo chmod -R 755 /home/fisheater/shared (3)

(1) Makes the user's folder owned by that user
(2) Prevents read, write and execute access for everyone but that user
(3) Adds read and execute access for everyone and write access for the user to the shared folder

-R means apply the command recursively.

(from: http://superuser.com/questions/197232/making-home-folders-private-in-ubuntu-10-4)

this is a bit different from what i did on my first setup, does this seem like correct terminal commands? (i.e. this wont lock me out?)

thanks for checking!

FE

sidzen
June 17th, 2011, 01:02 AM
ex:

chown -R fisheater:fisheater ./* [while in the /home/ directory]

see http://www.computerhope.com/unix/uchown.htm

For chmod, see
http://catcode.com/teachmod/

BTW, sockeye is my favorite!

lisati
June 17th, 2011, 01:12 AM
This is something that might baffle a user new to the *NIX way of managing file permissions. Here goes with a brief explanation:

chown is about which user on the system "owns" the files, and chmod is about who can do what with a file. :D

fisheater
June 17th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks, that makes some sense now. I admit any man or mildly technical explanation drops me into uncharted depths, your simple explanation helps me understand.

But from that a few questions.

What does fisheater:fisheater represent? i.e. why twice? I used this in trying to get my NAS permissions setup to allow me to rsync it (...which didnt work: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1772551).

This worked!
sudo chown -R fisheater:fisheater ./*

But this didn't:
sudo chmod -R 700 /home/fisheater

It generated this error
chmod: cannot access `/home/fisheater/.gvfs': Permission denied

I read it is the virtual filesystem for the GNOME desktop, but how do I chmod it to 700?

Thanks!

Long live salmon!

nitstorm
June 17th, 2011, 04:40 AM
But from that a few questions.

What does fisheater:fisheater represent? i.e. why twice?

You mention fisheater twice because it's
chown user:group So it means give the user fisheater of the fisheater group ownership of the file.

2. This worked!
sudo chown -R fisheater:fisheater ./*

But this didn't:

The first command gave you ownership of the file, i.e., it transferred the ownership to you. The second command (chmod) said "make the current file own be able to read, write and execute whereas the group and others are unable to read, write or execute.

It generated this error
chmod: cannot access `/home/fisheater/.gvfs': Permission denied

Means you don't have permissions to perform the action required on that file.

fisheater
June 17th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Great summary, thanks! This is making sense, even to a non-computer background type like me.

I guess the only remaining question is how do I escalate my permissions to be able to

This is my computer, set up from a blank HD. That means that somehow I need to get to root. That said, I was under the impression that

sudo

before any terminal commands would prompt for my password, then if successful, would allow ?superuser status.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

sidzen
June 17th, 2011, 07:25 AM
You're entering dangerous territory for ubuntu users with your question about how to become root (do so only when not connected to the internet in any way). In sequence at the command prompt --

sudo passwd root
cd /home/
chmod -R 700 ./* [this command will not display correctly wrapped in PHP]
exit

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Command Meaning

chmod 400 file To protect a file against accidental overwriting.
chmod 500 directory To protect yourself from accidentally removing, renaming or
moving files from this directory.
chmod 600 file A private file only changeable by the user who entered this
command.
chmod 644 file A publicly readable file that can only be changed by the issuing
user.
chmod 660 file Users belonging to your group can change this file, others don't
have any access to it at all.
chmod 700 file Protects a file against any access from other users, while the
issuing user still has full access.
chmod 755 directory For files that should be readable & executable by others, but
only changeable by issuing user.
chmod 775 file Standard file sharing mode for a group.
chmod 777 file Everybody can do everything to this file.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not an elementary teacher -- my apologies -- however,
Best wishes!

fisheater
June 18th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Great stuff, thanks for spelling it out.

My question that comes out of this is what is different? I mean to say that my ubuntu 8.10 install was chown 700 with no error message, then that change persisted in all my upgrades 9.04 -> 9.10 -> 10.04.

Has there been a change in the permissions in 11.04 or is this typical of a fresh install?

Thanks for keeping me on the right path (i.e. linux!)

FE

sidzen
June 19th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I cannot answer your question because I do not use 11.04 and do not intend to do so.
I am sticking with LTS as of 10.04.02 because too-buggy new releases is the primary weakness
I see with ubuntu.
I'm glad both of being some help and to see someone taking time to learn the Command Line,
for . . .

fisheater
June 30th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Thanks, sorted it out. My question about why it worked in 9.04 but not in 11.04 remains, but the issue is resolved.

Found this beauty of an explanation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions

Thanks for your help.

FE

fisheater
June 30th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I cannot answer your question because I do not use 11.04 and do not intend to do so.
I am sticking with LTS as of 10.04.02 because too-buggy new releases is the primary weakness
I see with ubuntu.
I'm glad both of being some help and to see someone taking time to learn the Command Line,
for . . .

I do lament upgrading to 11.04, my 10.04 LTS was working well, but I was unable to get my new computer to boot from any iteration of the LiveCD. It got hung in the text part of the CD spin up. I went the path of least resistance and loaded the version that would load. WinXP wouldn't install either...

Thanks!