PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ntfs configuration does not launch

asad.bukhari
June 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I am new to ubuntu.

I have partitioned my hard drive into three parts: 1 lean section for windows 7 (50 gb), another section for ubuntu 11.04 (50 gb) and one final massive section for 'storage' (360-ish gb). I have been following the following guide to accomplish this process:

http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony

I am lost in the final stages of the process. The article says that:

"Ubuntu won't "mount," or make available, your Windows 7 and Storage drives on boot-up, however, and we at least want constant access to the Storage drive. To fix that, head to Software Sources in the System->Administration menu. From there go to Applications, then the Ubuntu Software Center at the bottom. Under the "Ubuntu Software" and "Updates" sections, add a check to the un-checked sources, like Restricted, Multiverse, Proposed, and Backports. Hit "Close," and agree to Reload your software sources."

I completed this but I did not get the "reload your software sources" option. Then the article says:

"Finally! Head to the Applications menu and pick the Ubuntu Software Center. In there, search for "ntfs-config," and double-click on the NTFS Configuration Tool that's the first result. Install it, then close the Software Center. If you've got the "Storage" or Windows 7 partitions mounted, head to any location in Places and then click the eject icon next to those drives in the left-hand sidebar. Now head to the System->Administration menu and pick the NTFS Configuration Tool."

I was able to install NTFS Config. However, when I click on it and enter my administrative password, it does not launch.

I do not know how to get around this, I did some research online but was not able to find any solutions.
I do not fully understand what ntfs config will accomplish, but I think it has something to do with accessibility to the storage partition from both windows 7 AND linux.

The article says:

"You'll see a few partitions listed, likely as /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, and the like. If you only want your storage drive, it should be listed as /dev/sda3 or something similar--just not the first or second options. Check the box for "Add," click in the "Mount point" column to give it a name (Storage, perhaps?), and hit "Apply." Check both boxes on the next window to allow read/write access, and hit OK, and you're done. Now the drive with all your stuff is accessible to Windows and Linux at all times."

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this issue and tell me if this last phase of the dual-booting/partitioning process in necessary. I am somewhat computer-savvy but a complete child when it comes to ubuntu.

This is my first post on ubuntu forums :p

Morbius1
June 16th, 2011, 06:37 PM
If I read this correctly you have already installed Ubuntu and now you want to auto mount your other partitions. If this is correct please post the output of the following commands:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null

cat /etc/fstab

mount

asad.bukhari
June 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I apologize, I am not very familiar with auto-mounting. I was mostly following the article.

What does auto mounting accomplish?

Where do I enter this code? In something called the terminal? Is it similar to command prompt in windows?

Morbius1
June 16th, 2011, 06:54 PM
What does auto mounting accomplish?When you boot into Ubuntu all the other partitions will automatically be available to you.

Where do I enter this code? In something called the terminal? Is it similar to command prompt in windows? Yes. In the terminal. Then just copy and paste to your next post.

asad.bukhari
June 16th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I entered the codes and this was the output:

asad@Clyde:~$ sudo blkid - c /dev/null
[sudo] password for asad:
Sorry, try again.
asad@Clyde:~$ sudo blkid - c /dev/null

asad@Clyde:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=40f9dbdf-a593-4cef-860e-9a69eba7ac8a / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

asad@Clyde:~$ mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)

Morbius1
June 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM
There's no space between the "-" and the "c":

sudo blkid -c /dev/null

asad.bukhari
June 16th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I entered it the correct way:

asad@Clyde:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null
/dev/sda1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="0E6227A162278D11" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: UUID="8A58294458292FFD" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda3: UUID="40f9dbdf-a593-4cef-860e-9a69eba7ac8a" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda4: LABEL="Storage" UUID="26B8915F72FB89C3" TYPE="ntfs"
asad@Clyde:~$

Must I enter the other codes now, again?

Morbius1
June 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Edit fstab as root:

gksu gedit /etc/fstabAdd the following line to the end of the file:

UUID=26B8915F72FB89C3 /media/Storage ntfs defaults,uid=1000 0 0Save the file, exit gedit, and you will find yourself back in the terminal.

Now unmount the currently mounted partition:

sudo umount /media/StorageCreate a permanent mount point at the old location:

sudo mkdir /media/StorageRun the following command to test for errors ( post them if there are any ) and mount the partition:

sudo mount -a

asad.bukhari
June 16th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Alright, I followed your directions. This is what my terminal looks like:

asad@Clyde:~$ gksu gedit /etc/fstab

(gedit:3009): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:3009): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.DBKAXV': No such file or directory

(gedit:3009): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:3009): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.JENSWV': No such file or directory

asad@Clyde:~$ sudo umount /media/Storage
asad@Clyde:~$ sudo mkdir /media/Storage
asad@Clyde:~$ sudo mount -a

Can we confirm that the other partitions are mounted?

Morbius1
June 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'll have to do some searching for the error message but did gedit open and did you add the line to fstab?

If you di then just go to /media/Storage and see if you can access the directory.

asad.bukhari
June 16th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'll have to do some searching for the error message but did gedit open and did you add the line to fstab?

Yes I did. It opened and I pasted the line at the end of the file. You did not want me to replace anything with the line, just add it at the end, right?

If you di then just go to /media/Storage and see if you can access the directory.

I'm very new to ubuntu. Can you simplify that?

Morbius1
June 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Bring up the terminal again and type:

nautilus /media/Storage
Does it contain what you want it to contain?

asad.bukhari
June 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Yes it does :D

asad.bukhari
June 16th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Am I all set?

Morbius1
June 16th, 2011, 07:53 PM
OK, all that we've done is replace the steps in the HowTo you are following that pertain to ntfs-config. The author must not know that ntfs-cong isn't maintained anymore and it has very bad side affects sometimes. To answer your question, yes, the next time you boot the storage partition will be located at /media/Storage.

A piece of advice as you continue your Linux education: Don't use HowTo's that you find on someone's own webpage. It's better to use HowTo's you find in forums. If I say something stupid ( and lord knows I have ) 26 people will jump in and correct me. There's no guarantee that a HowTO in this form will be better or more accurate but at least there is some level of peer review.

asad.bukhari
June 16th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Understood. I appreciate your help. You made a great first impression on a new linux user on behalf of the ubuntu community. I am doing further research on how to use ubuntu now.

Thanks once again :D