PDA

View Full Version : Sun and Ubuntu

warp99
May 17th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I knew that Suttleworth was going to team up with an industry giant, but I didn't know if it would be Oracle or Google. Now we know it's neither:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6073104.html

Looks like ubuntu is going to be on Sun-Sparc systems. More acceptance is great news for everyone. :KS

rubengs
May 17th, 2006, 04:59 AM
It's now a fact:
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Sun_puts_its_weight_behind_Ubuntu_Linux

briancurtin
May 17th, 2006, 05:09 AM
the first sever release is slated for june 1. i wonder how testing has gone?

we know dapper on x86 (32 and 64 bit) has been released, as most of you guys around here are running it and helping with the bug reports and such. i wonder why they didnt do any beta/flight releases for something as big as this

warp99
May 17th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Well I should have guessed a little Sun/Ubuntu love was going on based on Sun donating equipment for the Shuttleworth Foundation's "Freedom Toaster" kiosks in South Africa.

http://freedomtoaster.gobof.org/

matthew
May 17th, 2006, 10:32 AM
The surprises continue...not only has Sun moved to a freer license with Java but now Mark Shuttleworth has appeared on stage with Sun chief executive Jonathan Schwartz at JavaOne and made really friendly conversation. Could Ubuntu be the enterprise "*nix" of the future??

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39269513,00.htm

Engnome
May 17th, 2006, 10:34 AM
already posted, old news :p

mstlyevil
May 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM

At least provide a link to the previous thread. Matthew has been away for awhile and probally missed it entirely.

mstlyevil
May 17th, 2006, 11:33 AM
At least provide a link to the previous thread. Matthew has been away for awhile and probally missed it entirely.

Edit: I merged the threads. I went ahead and Let matts title stand though.

matthew
May 17th, 2006, 12:49 PM
already posted, old news :pMy bad, didn't see it.

Thx mstlyevil for the merge.

Lucho
May 17th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Does anyone care to speculate on how this will affect the Nexenta
Project?
My own view at this point is that it should make Nexenta
the focal point, but for some reason I don't think it's very likely.

briancurtin
May 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM
this thread was the first one posted though, wasnt it...

KingBahamut
May 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Duped post.

Put my response into this thread.
--------
So not only do we get native Java in our OS, but also Sun is backing us on Server builds.

Kick ****.

briancurtin
May 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
edit: since this thread was merged (thanks KB), my response looked odd

halfvolle melk
May 17th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Kick ****.
Sure does. Just one more thing. If only Sun clusters would get a bit cheaper and if only I had a basement big enough to store one in ... oh well :-|

mips
May 18th, 2006, 01:26 AM
the first sever release is slated for june 1. i wonder how testing has gone?

we know dapper on x86 (32 and 64 bit) has been released, as most of you guys around here are running it and helping with the bug reports and such. i wonder why they didnt do any beta/flight releases for something as big as this

Dunno if the Sun announcement stuff is for i386 or Sparc cpu's. Ubuntu has been running on Sparc since Breezy. Ubuntu has also been working on certification on enterprise hardware.

Have a look here for other platforms ubuntu runs on besides Intel/PPC,
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/daily/current/

KingBahamut
May 18th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Actually I think its more leaned towards the Niagra chips that Sun is trying to push.

Mathias-K
May 18th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Actually I think its more leaned towards the Niagra chips that Sun is trying to push.

They're pushing it for a good reason. Have you read benchmarks of it? (.. or held one in your hand like me at CeBit 06 ;))

I was amazed by how well they compete with Xeons and Opterons. The nicest thing would be if Ubuntu and Sun can benefit from each other from being less dependant on Microsoft and Intel/AMD :)

mips
May 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Is'nt the niagra basically a ultrasparc on steroids, 8 core each with 4 threads. So in effect it looks like you have 32cpus in one box. Recalled reading somewhere that linux boots on the T1 (niagara).

Mathias-K
May 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Is'nt the niagra basically a ultrasparc on steroids, 8 core each with 4 threads. So in effect it looks like you have 32cpus in one box. Recalled reading somewhere that linux boots on the T1 (niagara).

Yes, 8 cores each running 4 threads at 1.2GHz.

It would be nice if full support was made. It is irritating that you have so little control over your hardware with Ubuntu/X86.

They are quite powerful, as in Anandtech's review:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2727&p=1

EDIT:
It's fun to see that "Linux" - whatever distro that is - is beating Solaris. Perhaps Ubuntu could help Sun smash the opposition? :)

newbie2
May 18th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I knew that Suttleworth was going to team up with an industry giant, but I didn't know if it would be Oracle or Google. Now we know it's neither:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6073104.html

Looks like ubuntu is going to be on Sun-Sparc systems. More acceptance is great news for everyone. :KS
SUNBUNTU ? :mrgreen:

Mathias-K
May 18th, 2006, 06:30 PM
SUNBUNTU ? :mrgreen:

Hehe, that could be. The Ubuntu system built around the Solaris kernel?

I think the best outcome of this would be if all flavours of Ubuntu worked and were supported perfectly by Sun and their hardware. That would set an example to AMD and Intel.

yurtboy
May 20th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Are there ways this could be a bad thing?
Just wondering?

warp99
May 20th, 2006, 02:51 AM
It could be a bad thing if Sun attempts to hijack the Ubuntu philosophy, the "branding" in marketing terms. If Shuttleworth allowed that to happen you could then have a degrading of that philosophy to the point were it's unrecognizable, but you would still have a following of Ubuntu users obvious to that change still believing in the original philosophy.

It's would be very similiar to what has happen with Apple. Over time the original vision or idea of Apple was tranformed into the goal of any large corporation, which is to maximize profits. So in time Apple became no different then IBM, Exxon, or a host of other corporations, but even today you still have a following of Mac users obvious to that change still believing in the original vision of Apple.

So bascially it's up to Shuttleworth to keep the philosophy of Ubuntu pure and not be seduced by the "Dark Side" so to speak. 8)

Tedd
May 20th, 2006, 03:01 AM
"Aggressive support for Ubuntu." Great, they're declaring war on us.

Compucore
May 20th, 2006, 05:24 AM
The one thing that would be great out of all this for both sides. Is to take the best things of each and implement them in the other. So not to favor one over the other or to say that one is better than the other. . Sun has some really good things to offer Ubuntu and Ubuntu may have some things offer to Sun Microsystems. Why not exchange what is good on one and bring it to the other and vice versa. Like Automatix that Breezy has and is now being developed for Dapper. Bring that into Sun solaris as one example from ubuntu And some of the software that you can freely download from Suns web site. Like the IDE's they have to offer to Ubuntu. There are good pro's and cons for both Ubuntu and Sun Solaris.

Compucore

RAV TUX
May 20th, 2006, 05:48 AM
It could be a bad thing if Sun attempts to hijack the Ubuntu philosophy, the "branding" in marketing terms. If Shuttleworth allowed that to happen you could then have a degrading of that philosophy to the point were it's unrecognizable, but you would still have a following of Ubuntu users obvious to that change still believing in the original philosophy.

It's would be very similiar to what has happen with Apple. Over time the original vision or idea of Apple was tranformed into the goal of any large corporation, which is to maximize profits. So in time Apple became no different then IBM, Exxon, or a host of other corporations, but even today you still have a following of Mac users obvious to that change still believing in the original vision of Apple.

So bascially it's up to Shuttleworth to keep the philosophy of Ubuntu pure and not be seduced by the "Dark Side" so to speak. 8)

It could just be branded under Mark Shuttleworths' South African Enterprise Edition of Ubuntu:

Impi Linux

then Ubuntu would remain as is and the enterprise edition in coordination with Sun would be Sun-Impi Linux.

linbetwin
May 20th, 2006, 06:31 AM
http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2006051901026OPBZDB

This article speculates that Sun may eventually buy Canonical. It wouldn't be the first company Mark Shuttleworth sells, but I think now would be much too early.

RAV TUX
May 20th, 2006, 06:36 AM

This article speculates that Sun may eventually buy Canonical. It wouldn't be the first company Mark Shuttleworth sells, but I think now would be much too early.

Not too early if you need money to colonize mars.

Mathias-K
May 20th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Honestly I think that's a little far fetched. If SUN was to aquire Canonical and Ubuntu, any move towards the dark side that you are talking about could result in developers and helpers fleeing to another distro, not to speak of the Debian developers who are also very important for Ubuntu. I doubt that they are going to be very helpful if Edgy suddenly changes to something SUN eVil_OS 2.0 :)

Lastly there is the GPL and Shuttleworth binding all this together. These two factors are not going to allow Ubuntu getting proprietary or derailed.

Mathias-K
May 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM

That could spell both doom and progress for Ubuntu. We all have doubts, but maybe the 10,000 bugs would reduce in number of an additional wave of funding to employ DDs came around?

3rdalbum
May 20th, 2006, 08:40 AM
No, no, NO thank you. The last thing my fast and stable computer needs is Java gunking up the works, making unrelated programs crash and introducing security holes on PPC.

Heck, Java integrated into Ubuntu would kill hardware compatibility. I've actually seen Java apps which run differently on similar computers with the same JRE and OS versions.

The first version of Ubuntu with integrated Java is the first version I won't use. Let's hope this new deal doesn't spell the end of Pythonian delights :-)

commodore
May 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Ubuntu? Server? I never knew Ubuntu was 'OK' for servers. I thought it's a newbs desktop. Good news anyway.

If I would buy a Sun server, I would probably run Solaris on it, or maybe some BSD, but never Ubuntu :)

BWF89
May 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Sun is one of the greatest computer companies ever.

First they gave us OpenOffice and saved us hundreds of dollars from having to buy MS Office, they open sourced (sorta) Java, now their teaming up with Ubuntu.

allenmaher
May 21st, 2006, 10:15 PM
If Ubuntu became Sun-Ubuntu I would drop it the next day and install another OS on all my computers, I want nothing to do with Sun . Ever.

I can't think of a worse move for Ubuntu.

Lucho
May 22nd, 2006, 12:56 AM
Hehe, that could be. The Ubuntu system built around the Solaris kernel?

Nexenta.
That why my earlier post mentioned it. It's been done already, and I'm
curious to see if- and how- this new deal affects the project.

Mathias-K
May 22nd, 2006, 07:12 AM
If Ubuntu became Sun-Ubuntu I would drop it the next day and install another OS on all my computers, I want nothing to do with Sun . Ever.

Could you elaborate a bit on that? :)

Why is SUN so bad, and couldn't a bit of support help Ubuntu?

Rhapsody
May 22nd, 2006, 08:20 AM

Are you seriously saying you'd rather have Microsoft Windows than Sun Ubuntu?

SeanTater
May 22nd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Are you seriously saying you'd rather have Microsoft Windows than Sun Ubuntu?

Why not just another distro?

allenmaher
May 23rd, 2006, 01:49 AM
I meant another distro. :)

I used to use Sun and SGI Unix workstations... ludicrous mark ups in prices, bad customer support.

I realy like Ubuntu, I have moved all seven of the computers I maintain to it. It is a great end user distro with great debian underpinnings. I am a fan.

The philosophy Linux for humanity, and the SUN attitude of customer be damned and anything for a buck (do you have any idea what SUN software used to retail for?... I am still mad years later)

There is very little we can gain from a closer relationship with SUN and a focus on a corporate desktop... at least from an end user perspective. Mandrake used to be a great distribution until they persued the corporate market. Red Hat used to make a distro for end users as well, now the comunity project is all that is left of thier commitment to the end user.

A corporate agenda will only put distance between the Ubuntu user base and the direction of the project. Already to make Ubuntu more corporate friendly it has delayed it's release cycle, left end user features out so that development can focus on enterprise computing issues.

I watched Mandrake destroy itself by going down this path...

Sad to see it happen to a supperior distro and community.

Compucore
May 23rd, 2006, 02:20 AM
Allenmaher well at least leave it as opensource like what they are doing with Solaris 10. The thing I think that would be cood out of the who deal is to have the best of things come out for both Ubuntu and for Sun. Being able to use something like Ubuntu on a ultra 5 or ultra 10 machine. I have used some sun systems myself at a friends place that are really nice even though they are not the leastest or greatest blade machines. But they are still nice machines to work with. It doesn't have to be under the other license that Sun is using for the corproate or the equivilant to what SGI is using for their clients.

Compucore

Mathias-K
May 23rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
I meant another distro. :)

I used to use Sun and SGI Unix workstations... ludicrous mark ups in prices, bad customer support.

I realy like Ubuntu, I have moved all seven of the computers I maintain to it. It is a great end user distro with great debian underpinnings. I am a fan.

The philosophy Linux for humanity, and the SUN attitude of customer be damned and anything for a buck (do you have any idea what SUN software used to retail for?... I am still mad years later)

There is very little we can gain from a closer relationship with SUN and a focus on a corporate desktop... at least from an end user perspective. Mandrake used to be a great distribution until they persued the corporate market. Red Hat used to make a distro for end users as well, now the comunity project is all that is left of thier commitment to the end user.

A corporate agenda will only put distance between the Ubuntu user base and the direction of the project. Already to make Ubuntu more corporate friendly it has delayed it's release cycle, left end user features out so that development can focus on enterprise computing issues.

I watched Mandrake destroy itself by going down this path...

Sad to see it happen to a supperior distro and community.

I believe that there will be a while between the coming LTS releases, and if you look around the web for things that are just coming down into the distros (recently for example Wine 0.9.13, amaroK 1.4a and of course Xgl/Compiz and AIGLX), there are almost always a guide, wiki or package ready for Dapper. It IS still up there with the best.

We have been promised that the pendulum will swing towards end user features this fall, and I trust Mark on this one :)