PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome Classic - lost workspace switcher after upgrades

ratcheer
June 16th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I use the Gnome Classic DE in 11.04. Last night, safe-upgrade made a small number of package upgrades (three or four). When I rebooted my PC, this morning, my workspace switcher (the four tiny squares in the bottom panel on the right side of the screen) are gone. I use them regularly.

Any ideas how to fix this? Also, is there any history to identify what packages were upgraded last night so I can look for bugs?

Thanks,
Tim

ratcheer
June 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I found that I could right click on the bottom panel and select Add to Panel, which did give me a selection to add the Workspace Switcher back. However, it is now in the wrong place. Instead of being just to the left of the Trashcan, it is separated by about two inches to the left. It works, but it is different and weird.

Tim

Elline
June 16th, 2011, 06:09 PM
You can move your applets by right-clicking on them and then selecting "move".
BUT. All the applets on the way of your moving one should be "unlocked". Right-click on them again and see whether it locked or not in "Lock to Panel". You can uncheck it if needed and then move your applets as you want with "move" button or, if I remember it right, also with middle mouse button.

ratcheer
June 16th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Thank you. Oddly, that let me move it all but about the last half inch, which remains blank between Workspace Switcher and the Trashcan. Not exactly how I want it, but better than before.

Tim

Elline
June 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM
What if you right-click on that empty space? Maybe something in there? Or you get usual panel menu?

ratcheer
June 16th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure. Here are the properties of that apparently empty panel space.

Tim

ratcheer
June 17th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Ok, I accidentally solved it. Since the panel in between was 24 pixels wide, I decided to see if I could close up the gap by changing it to 2 pixels wide. What I ended up with was two Workspace Switchers. The original one had been hidden by the strange blank one. So, I deleted my new Workspace Switcher and things are pretty much back to normal.

It's odd that some update I installed created a seemingly blank panel and that it overlaid the original Workspace Switcher. Is Natty ready for prime time, yet?

Tim

Elline
June 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Natty seems to broke many things. I think it's due to fast paced Unity development some minor things got unnoticed.

Well, hope it will get better to the next LTS, which I totally will stick to.