PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installation stalls on Compaq Presario M2000 Laptop

greetp
June 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi

I'm trying to install Lubuntu 11.04 CD on a Compaq Presario M2000 Laptop to replace XP.

Processor: Intel Pentium Celeron M
RAM: 256mb
Existing O/S XP SP3 (boots & runs but is very slow)
Hard Drive 40GB (28Gb free)

Installation hangs about 1 minute after selecting language in both try Lubuntu & install Lubuntu modes. Have also left the laptop running all night to see if it was just a slow install.

Have tried various other disks (Xbuntu, Puppy, Mint, Lubuntu 10.04), which have worked on other PC/laptops ok, but all stall after the language settings.

Have tried burning the Lunbuntu iso with both Windows & Ubuntu at slow speeds & have verified the burnt iso.

The laptop BIOS cannot be set to boot from usb, so an external CD or USB stick installation may not work ?

The BIOS has been updated to the latest one on the Compaq web site this morning.

Although I have installed a few flavours of Linux on various hardware, I'm still a real Linux newbie.

Can Lubuntu be installed within Windows, but still format the hard drive to ext2/3 ? (sorry if this is a silly question)

Grateful for any help.

Many thanks

Phil

mörgæs
June 16th, 2011, 10:42 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9834517&postcount=261

sanjeeva311076
January 8th, 2012, 11:38 PM
ubuntu karmic works fine (ancient inventel wireless dongle surprisingly works out of the box) and installs well from cd but upgrade to lucid LTS failed

mörgæs
January 9th, 2012, 01:25 AM
How does a fresh install of Lubuntu 11.10 work?

LimonP
February 22nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
I am having problems installing it on my Compaq M2000 it comes up with the purple Ubuntu screen but the it disappears like there is no video. Any help on this would be appreciated.