PDA

View Full Version : Text based graphics in Linux

dagoth_pie
June 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Ok so I'm a programming student and my current assignment is to write a text based version of battleship. For the fun of it, I'm wanting to (if I have time) make this cross platform, but I'm in need of a Linux substitute for wincon.h

Can anyone point me in the direction of some way I can get coloured text in a terminal and print to specific cells in the terminal and that sort of stuff?

Vaphell
June 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM
ncurses library?

amauk
June 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Have a look at ncurses
It's a toolkit for CLI apps that allows you to do text based graphics, buttons and other GUI-emulating stuff

A lot of non-trivial CLI apps are written using ncurses, eg. Midnight Commander
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Midnightcommander.png

ncurses has also been ported to windows
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/ncurses.htm

dagoth_pie
June 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Well that's two votes, I'll be sure to look into it, the only catch is that it has to compile in the markers compiler which is MS VS 2005. I'll be sure to look into it once I've got my game up to what the brief requires. I'm planning to at least make an effort to make my games cross platform, although that may become impossible in the time frame I'll have once I get up to using DirectX. A shame I can't learn game development using OpenGL, but it's my foot in the door to the industry... I hope.

cgroza
June 16th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Well that's two votes, I'll be sure to look into it, the only catch is that it has to compile in the markers compiler which is MS VS 2005. I'll be sure to look into it once I've got my game up to what the brief requires. I'm planning to at least make an effort to make my games cross platform, although that may become impossible in the time frame I'll have once I get up to using DirectX. A shame I can't learn game development using OpenGL, but it's my foot in the door to the industry... I hope.
And here is a third vote.