PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation with Command Prompt?

MasterZii
June 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I am running a Windows 7, 64 bit machine. I will be installing Ubuntu as dual boot. But I have been having problems starting my computer (Microsoft always has problems with their OS's)and the only thing that I can access right now is command prompt. Is there any possible way I can install Ubuntu through command prompt? I have the ISO on a CD, which is what I am planning to boot from. If theres any way I can around this that would be great! And no, I can't even access my desktop, let alone get to the log on screen. So I was wondering if Ubuntu could fix that for me. Who knows, I just might get rid of the Windows OS altogether. :]

mikewhatever
June 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
You seem to want to install Ubuntu using the Windows command prompt. I don't know if it's possible, but why not go the conventional rout and just boot from the Ubuntu CD? If Windows has problems starting, that wouldn't affect Ubuntu.

MasterZii
June 16th, 2011, 08:09 AM
How can I boot from the CD if the Windows OS won't run? Does it have to be? Because I'm not getting any options to install Ubuntu when I first start my computer.

mikewhatever
June 16th, 2011, 08:21 AM
You can boot from CD even if Windows is not installed, or even if there is no hard drive.

MasterZii
June 16th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I tried. The CD is inserted, I restarted my computer, I have the CDOM set as the primary boot device. Now the last problem is that it will not allow me to boot from it. It says something like Reboot or select proper boot device or insert media in proper boot device and press a key now when I press a key, I get the same message, over and over again *facepalm*

mikewhatever
June 16th, 2011, 08:34 AM
How did you burn the downloaded ISO file?
Check out the howto, just in case.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

MasterZii
June 16th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Yup, got all that. I'll re-do this just in case. But it still doesn't seem to work...

mikewhatever
June 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
An alternative method is to write the ISO to a USB stick (1BG or more) and then try booting from it. That should work with any recent computer, but some older ones can't boot from USB.

MasterZii
June 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Alright, I will try that. Thank you. :]