PDA

View Full Version : Should Tux the Penguin be featured more prominently in Ubuntu?

8_Bit
June 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
The first Linux distro I ever tried was a Knoppix live CD. I remember seeing Tux at boot and thought that was cool.

But we never see Tux anywhere in Ubuntu. Not even on the website.

Should Tux the Penguin be shown more often in Ubuntu promotional material? What do you think?

Ubuntu IS still Linux, after all, and Tux is the Linux mascot. But some people think that associating Ubuntu too much with "Linux" makes it look scary and noob-unfriendly, believe it or not. So that famous picture of the fat penguin Tux is more of a liability to those people.

Nyromith
June 16th, 2011, 08:49 AM
No. Never liked this penguin. Doesn't look appealing.

cespinal
June 16th, 2011, 08:55 AM
No...it is ugly, dated, and it does not represent what Ubuntu stands for these days.

Spice Weasel
June 16th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I don't care, and it doesn't matter.

Paqman
June 16th, 2011, 10:32 AM
No, Tux is rubbish. Ubuntu has a much better logo.

ilovelinux33467
June 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I don't care, and it doesn't matter.

This

jhonan
June 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
No, Tux is rubbish. Ubuntu has a much better logo.
You'll make Tux cry... :(

Thewhistlingwind
June 16th, 2011, 11:04 AM
While I love tux, it's not featured that prominently in other distros either. So why should Ubuntu be any exception? Ubuntu especially is the one distro that wouldn't even if it were expected.

The ubuntu splash screen is a masterpiece as it is. (Seriously, it's beautiful.)

The minimalism is refreshing in a world of flashy gimmicks.

Zero2Nine
June 16th, 2011, 11:48 AM
While I love tux, it's not featured that prominently in other distros either. So why should Ubuntu be any exception? Ubuntu especially is the one distro that wouldn't even if it were expected.

The ubuntu splash screen is a masterpiece as it is. (Seriously, it's beautiful.)

The minimalism is refreshing in a world of flashy gimmicks.

Sadly I can't see it with my video card :(

infestor
June 16th, 2011, 12:12 PM
No. Never liked this penguin. Doesn't look appealing.

agreed. another logo would be nice

el_koraco
June 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Tux is the greatest!

Grenage
June 16th, 2011, 12:48 PM
For the market Ubuntu is aiming for, it probably wouldn't be a great idea to use Tux. The penguin is a general Linux logo that's splashed all over the place, not a brand-specific icon.

It would be easy for someone to see a terminal or minimalist system with a penguin logo, later see that same logo on the Ubuntu website, and think "hell no". By having a particular brand image, you have far more control over how you are perceived.

Random_Dude
June 16th, 2011, 02:40 PM
For the market Ubuntu is aiming for, it probably wouldn't be a great idea to use Tux. The penguin is a general Linux logo that's splashed all over the place, not a brand-specific icon.

It would be easy for someone to see a terminal or minimalist system with a penguin logo, later see that same logo on the Ubuntu website, and think "hell no". By having a particular brand image, you have far more control over how you are perceived.

^This.
I don't see any marketing advantage in doing so.
Ubuntu is targeted at newcomers, it's probably better not to scare them away.
Besides, the more experienced users know what Ubuntu is, they don't need a logo on the website to know that it's a linux distro.

Cheers :cool:

timZZ
June 16th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I am probably missing a back-story here but in my opinion, a penguin never was a good mascot for Linux. There is not an obvious relationship between the two.

swoll1980
June 16th, 2011, 05:03 PM

This. It would be like GM scrapping their logo for the Goodyear logo because they use their tires.

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I am probably missing a back-story here but in my opinion, a penguin never was a good mascot for Linux. There is not an obvious relationship between the two.

Yeah, but what is the relationship between a clown called Ronald McDonald and a hamburger joint?

sanderd17
June 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I love tux (see my signature) but I don't think it's a good idea to market Ubuntu with tux.

timZZ
June 16th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, but what is the relationship between a clown called Ronald McDonald and a hamburger joint?

I am not saying this mascot couldn't be improved either, however, in your example you chose to use a widely recognized brand, who had many mascots that are not longer in use.

BrokenKingpin
June 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Tux is awesome. They should display the logo somewhere, as it shows they are running the Linux kernel.

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I am not saying this mascot couldn't be improved either, however, in your example you chose to use a widely recognized brand, who had many mascots that are not longer in use.

But Ronald McDonald was always the main one, and he still is. They should have stuck with Mayor McCheese. :)

And I don't think Ubuntu should adopt Tux. But I don't think there's anything wrong with elevating Tux, kind of like the old Intel Inside stickers.

Anuovis
June 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Ubuntu logo is stylish and slick. Having a penguin might bring unnecessary difficulties to advertise and promote Linux. It is cute and cuddly but somewhat childish.

And while we are at it... I think OpenSuse has the best logo ever.

Spice Weasel
June 16th, 2011, 07:46 PM
OpenSUSE has the best theme and branding of any distro, IMO.

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I don't think anyone was talking about changing the Ubuntu logo to Tux.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 17th, 2011, 01:00 AM
This. It would be like GM scrapping their logo for the Goodyear logo because they use their tires.

I agree with you.

The Linux kernel is such a small part of Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SuSE, or ... the list goes on. What you get with a distro is so much more than the Linux kernel.