PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Compiz Fusion Sliding Popups freeze

rectec794613
June 16th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Hey guys, I have an annoying problem.

I'm running KDE with Compiz Fusion enabled, and whenever I open the Application Launcher, it slows the pc down, I can't click on anything in the menu, and it takes a few tries to close it. Afterwards when I want to open it, it closes itself the second I click it. Also, whenever I close out the panel editing menu, the system freezes completely, forcing me to do a hard shutdown.

I found that if I untick the "Sliding Popups" option in the KDE Compatibility plugin options in CompizConfig, there's no problem with the menus, except I want them to slide open, not glide in like new windows.

Is there any way I can use the menus with the option enabled? I installed CompizConfig earlier when I was using Gnome and it ran fine, but now I'm running it with KDE. And by the way, I uninstalled CompizConfig and reinstalled using the KDE command at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/CompizFusion.

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can. Thanks!

Software Specs:
Ubuntu 11.04 (with KDE installed after Gnome/Unity)
KDE Version 4.6.2
CompizConfig Settings Manager 0.9.4
Emerald Theme Manager 0.8.8

Hardware Specs
MSI A5000 - Full Product Page (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152240)
Intel Pentium (Dual-Core) T4500 @2.3GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8200m g
4GB RAM (No Swap)

wildmanne39
June 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Hey guys, I have an annoying problem.

I'm running KDE with Compiz Fusion enabled, and whenever I open the Application Launcher, it slows the pc down, I can't click on anything in the menu, and it takes a few tries to close it. Afterwards when I want to open it, it closes itself the second I click it. Also, whenever I close out the panel editing menu, the system freezes completely, forcing me to do a hard shutdown.

I found that if I untick the "Sliding Popups" option in the KDE Compatibility plugin options in CompizConfig, there's no problem with the menus, except I want them to slide open, not glide in like new windows.

Is there any way I can use the menus with the option enabled? I installed CompizConfig earlier when I was using Gnome and it ran fine, but now I'm running it with KDE. And by the way, I uninstalled CompizConfig and reinstalled using the KDE command at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/CompizFusion.

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can. Thanks!

Software Specs:
Ubuntu 11.04 (with KDE installed after Gnome/Unity)
KDE Version 4.6.2
CompizConfig Settings Manager 0.9.4
Emerald Theme Manager 0.8.8

Hardware Specs
MSI A5000 - Full Product Page (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152240)
Intel Pentium (Dual-Core) T4500 @2.3GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8200m g
4GB RAM (No Swap)
Hi, kde has its on manager for effects, that is most likely the problem, compiz is not needed, I have read many posts say that kde worked a lot better and smoother then compiz with unity, so you create a problem where there was not one.

rectec794613
June 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Ok, I'll try KWin, but I just wish the configuration looked more like CompizConfig. Thanks!

rectec794613
June 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Alright. After trying KWin, I think I need some help:

How do I rotate the Desktop Cube with my mouse?
Why does Cairo-Dock run so choppy on KWin, but flawlessly on Compiz? Can I fix this?

Other than that, KWin is pretty fine.
Thanks!

wildmanne39
June 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Alright. After trying KWin, I think I need some help:

How do I rotate the Desktop Cube with my mouse?
Why does Cairo-Dock run so choppy on KWin, but flawlessly on Compiz? Can I fix this?

Other than that, KWin is pretty fine.
Thanks!Hi, I am sure you can fix the choppy problem but I have not used kubuntu in a while so I do not remember all the setting's to smooth it out. If you look in the forums or look in kubuntu's forum I am sure the answer is already posted.

rectec794613
June 18th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Well I'll stay with Compiz as I've already set it up and I think I can manage a bug or two as long as there's a workaround. It doesn't really bug me that much. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference: better customization over better integration. Anyway, thanks for your help, guys!

wildmanne39
June 18th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Well I'll stay with Compiz as I've already set it up and I think I can manage a bug or two as long as there's a workaround. It doesn't really bug me that much. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference: better customization over better integration. Anyway, thanks for your help, guys!
Hi, your welcome we are all learning from the natty experience.