PDA

View Full Version : Online Ubuntu Project

AeroZak
June 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM
My friend and I have a semi-required project, with the main portion being a blog. Both my friend and I are big computer people, so we decided to base our project on this. I've used Ubuntu for years and definetly would like to base our project off of it.

The goal of what we're trying to do is take ideas and projects that most people don't ever think of doing, then doing it ourselves, and blogging about it.

An example of this would be building a cluster. It's something fun, challenging, most people never think of it, and it takes a heck of a lot of googling/research to accomplish.

Does anyone else have any fun and unusual topics/ideas to work on?

...My friend is open to Linux, but mainly works on Windows, so our project may have to be based on this if we don't gather enough Linux ideas (but I'm sure we will :)).

Thanks for your help!

sffvba[e0rt
June 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Are you guys also looking to do some coding? Some advocacy? What is the scope of the project?

AeroZak
June 16th, 2011, 12:48 AM
We're really just looking for any sort of fun, but unusual project that will catch people's attention.

I used to do something similar for iPod Touches. An example for the iPod was that we figured out how to run a RuneScape Private Server on it that people could play on. The project was fun, weird, and enjoyable for readers as well as people who wished to try it out. No one really thought of doing this with an iPod Touch, and the people who heard of it loved it.

One main point is to inspire Ubuntu users to think outside the box, as well as convert non-users and show them what can be done with Linux.

Coding does seem like a fun thing to do, and we will possibly do a little bit of this, but for the most part, a lot of our projects will not involve very much extra coding.

GWBouge
June 16th, 2011, 12:56 AM
A couple of things come to mind, which I don't think would actually be all too difficult, but more along the lines of getting an "Ooo, I didnt know you could do that!" response from a typical user:

low-cost render farm for Blender 2.5x

VM Server you could use to host various OS's for test beds or software compatibility with Remote Desktop / VNC access

Some type of webcam home security system.

cariboo
June 16th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Fork gnome-panel. :) :) :)

Dustin2128
June 16th, 2011, 01:24 AM
A beowulf cluster of 10 3.8GHz pentium 4's, to burn off the earth's atmosphere? And also do blender renderings and stuff.

sffvba[e0rt
June 16th, 2011, 02:25 AM

Yes, as a side project keep Gnome 2.x going... you will be famous and songs will be written about you :)

Good luck with your projects, after a whole night of working I can hardly type straight, never mind think straight :p

Macskeeball
June 16th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Are you guys also looking to do some coding? Some advocacy? What is the scope of the project?

My friend and I have a semi-required project, with the main portion being a blog. Both my friend and I are big computer people, so we decided to base our project on this.

Based on this part, it seems the computer aspect is not actually in the assignment itself. The assignment simply calls for a blog on a topic of your choosing, and you and your friend chose to do something computer-related and unusual. Is that right?

If so, that should give not found some idea of the scope. It would mean that it's probably not a programming class but instead emphasizes writing (and maintaining?) a blog, regardless of topic. Is it an English class?

AeroZak
June 16th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the ideas everyone! There's some really great stuff here!

Actually, it's not really a class we're taking, which is why it is only "semi" required, however parts of it are needed for other aspects of things that we do.

Based on this part, it seems the computer aspect is not actually in the assignment itself. The assignment simply calls for a blog on a topic of your choosing, and you and your friend chose to do something computer-related and unusual. Is that right?

If so, that should give not found some idea of the scope. It would mean that it's probably not a programming class but instead emphasizes writing (and maintaining?) a blog, regardless of topic.

I had never really thought of it this way, but yes, the main part of the project truly does call for more of a blog than the need for a computer topic, however we are in need of some computer topics because of this.

Thanks again everyone!

Spice Weasel
June 16th, 2011, 06:25 PM

oh god no please let that horrible code rot in peace