PDA

View Full Version : IRC #ubuntu BAN - Uncalled for

MystaMax
May 17th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I am posting here as I have no idea where it should go. Mods can move if need be.

This morning, as soon as I logged onto #ubuntu IRC, a user made some obscene comments. I made a comment letting the user know that his comment was unnecessary and offtopic. Minutes later, gnomefreak made a comment saying that myself and the offending user should take our conversation somewhere else. I politely laughed it off. Next thing you know I was banned.

I didn't do anything, I didn't offend anyone. I wasn't spamming the channel. All that I can think of that was not appropiate on my behalf was that the fact that I said gnomefreak was funny (sarcastically). Does that qualify me for a ban?

Another thing is where are the IRC channels rules listed? Are they on any web site? Who are the moderators? Why isn't there a sub-forum for IRC disputes? Why was I banned w/o any prior warning? I'm sure admins can pull log files of the conversation, and they'll see that no one was warned, just immediate bans. If no one can pull log files, I will retrieve them ASAP.

This is very frustrating, seeing how this is one of the primary avenues of support for the ubuntu OS?

I also read around the forums as other users had previously been banned for other minor reasons. They mention something about a community council.

briancurtin
May 17th, 2006, 05:34 PM
"why isnt there a sub-forum for IRC disputes?" -- possibly because i dont think that IRC channel is associated with this site

mstlyevil
May 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM
#Ubuntu is not affiliated with this forum. The forum has a channel called #ubuntuforums. The community council is a official part of canonical the parent company of Ubuntu. That is who #ubuntu is affiliated with so complaints about their IRC channel should be taken up with them. You can get information on how to do that at www.ubuntu.com. I hope this helps you in your current situation.

MystaMax
May 17th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I appreciate the rapid response. Thanks.

I was unaware that there was not an affiliation between these forums and the IRC channels. Unfortunately browsing www.ubuntu.com doesn't help very much as there isn't any information on how to handle the matter at hand. I tried contacting the mod who i think banned me (via /msg in IRC) and he/she will not respond.

Ah well, I'll continue until this is resolved and handled appropiately.

mstlyevil
May 17th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I appreciate the rapid response. Thanks.

I was unaware that there was not an affiliation between these forums and the IRC channels. Unfortunately browsing www.ubuntu.com doesn't help very much as there isn't any information on how to handle the matter at hand. I tried contacting the mod who i think banned me (via /msg in IRC) and he/she will not respond.

Ah well, I'll continue until this is resolved and handled appropiately.

In the meantime you are always welcome to come on to #ubuntuforums. You will find things a little more relaxed there.

MystaMax
May 17th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I tried logging into #ubuntuforums (on irc.freenode.net) but never got connected. I'll have to try it again later.

mstlyevil - I recommend you for a MOD for that channel! you seem to have some reasoning to you. Thanks for you help. See you in #ubuntuforums.

MystaMax
May 17th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I am glad to say that this issue has been resolved. i was able to contact gnomefreak who I believed worked w/ nalioth to get my ban lifted. I would like to thank the both of them. In retrospect, I'll be sure to be careful with what I say, or how I say something.

Thanks to everyone here. ubuntu rox. I'm happy :)