PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need a desktop search utility which will work for Hindi

swarup
June 15th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I have been using Beagle Search for years, and it works beautifully for searches of the hundreds of text files I have containing text written in the Hindi language. I have never found another desktop search utility that would do this-- and now, Beagle is not being updated and is not available in the repos for the two latest versions of Ubuntu. I have tried Tracker, Google desktop, and all the others I could find. But all give erroneous search results when Hindi text is put in the search window.

So can Beagle be installed somehow in the newest Ubuntu versions? Or is there another desktop tool which will work effectively with languages such as Hindi, which use a different alphabet? Specifically, I need a tool which will search the text inside the file and not just the file name. And it is important and helpful as well, that it should show the sentence in which it found the word(s) in question.

swarup
June 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I am bumping this query, because, on the basis of a search through google, I find a lot of people are in difficulty due to Beagle search no longer being available. Those who search in English are also missing Beagle and finding other search utilities inadequate. So why don't we resurrect Beagle somehow and bring it back? It works far better than all the other search utilities out there.

Or is there anything else out there that others have found to work as effectively? Here I see two factors: (1) the search tool should give the sentence in which it found the word; (2) the search tool should work for various languages and various alphabets.

swarup
June 22nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Writing in to report that I've installed and tested the app called "Recoll", fairly extensively. I think it is even better than Beagle. It does pre-indexing, searches perfectly, shows you the sentence in which it found the word, and offers to open a preview window in which all the places in that document where it found the word, will be highlighted. It is the most advanced search tool I've used so far.

Conclusion: Recoll is a great desktop search tool, and especially the more so as it searches Indic Fonts perfectly.