PDA

View Full Version : Smart phones and Linux

UART16550
June 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Is there any smart phone which allows for Linux to be installed on it?

I don't trust smart phones. I have a deep gut feeling that they are riddled with Government backdoors and a corporate trojan.

iponeverything
June 15th, 2011, 01:27 PM
android = linux

Buy unlocked and one that has custom android firmwares available.

UART16550
June 15th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Which phone exactly?

So, I can format the file volume containing the Android application and install Linux?

BrokenKingpin
June 15th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I would look at the Nokia N900... it comes installed with Maemo, which is based on Debian.

Android is developed by Google... so you should be more worried about them watching you instead of the government :P

akand074
June 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM
More of this crap. Do you realize if such unlawful or undesirable things were on a phone people would find it. All corporate things in the phones are known of. If you don't like corporate defaults, buy an Android phone, install super user permissions, install a custom build of Android made by the community at XDA forums.

As of which phone to get, depends on the availability in your country but there is a plethora of Samsung, HTC, LG, Acer, Dell, etc. Android phones. Just check out a service provider and see what they carry.

UART16550
June 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM
why you mad? Why are you talking about unlawful? Angry Canadian!

RiceMonster
June 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM

http://archer.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/spray_trollface_copy.png

akand074
June 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM

hahahahaha nice one. Sorry, but I've just seen these things way too many times, where, in most cases, such feelings are based on nothing (or nothing legitimate).

underquark
June 15th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Sure, it can be done, but like this poster (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1010681) says, "Why"?. If the answer is that you just want to have some fun then go for it. The xda-developers.com site has a wealth of information. I'm running a custom Windows 6.5 ROM on an HTC HD2 but it can also be made run ubuntu or android. Once you've read carefully the instructions you can use the tools found on that site to change your phone's firmware and flash the ROM as the fancy takes you.