PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] making a password file out of multiple files

Mia_tech
June 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm trying to compile multiple password files into a single one, and the script I've created does just that, but I would like to hear other opinion, especially when it comes to the "sort" portion of the script. sorting in can take time specially when sorting millions of words....here's the script

files=$(ls -1)
script=$(basename $0)

for file in $files
do
#skipping this file else read file
if [ "$file" == "$script" ]; then
continue
else
while read line
do
#adding words only greater than 8 char
if [ ${#line} -ge 3 ]; then
echo "$line" >> tmpfile
fi
done < $file
fi
done

#sorting alphabeticaly and deleting duplicates
sort -u tmpfile > superwpa 2>/dev/null
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
echo "script encounter an error..."
exit 1
fi

#cleaning up
rm tmpfile > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
exit 1
fi

amauk
June 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM
What's the purpose of this script?
What are the passwords being used for?

There's proper ways of generating secure passwords
Eg. makepasswd

geirha
June 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Seems like it's doing the equivalent of

grep -h ... * | sort -u > /some/dir/superwpa
# or
awk 'length >= 3 && !seen[$0]++' * > /some/dir/superwpa

The latter doesn't sort it, but it does filter out duplicates.

Mia_tech
June 15th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Seems like it's doing the equivalent of

grep -h ... * | sort -u > /some/dir/superwpa
# or
awk 'length >= 3 && !seen[$0]++' * > /some/dir/superwpa

The latter doesn't sort it, but it does filter out duplicates.

lol... I would like to think my script is more sophisticated, but, yeah, they are doing the same thing.... you gotta love linux commands.

geirha
June 15th, 2011, 11:26 PM
lol... I would like to think my script is more sophisticated, but, yeah, they are doing the same thing.... you gotta love linux commands.

They don't do exactly the same things though. Your bash script has a possible bug in that a left-over tmpfile or destination file might exist from a previous run, and those will be processed along with the other input files.

Another difference is that your bash-script will trim off leading and trailing whitespace, and also remove backslashes, before testing the length of the line.

And lastly, your script won't handle filenames containing whitespace or glob characters correctly. This is because of your use of ls, which should never really be used in a script. The shell can iterate filenames containing any characters you can think of, and quite safely, without using any external commands like ls.

for file in *; do ...

Mia_tech
June 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM
They don't do exactly the same things though. Your bash script has a possible bug in that a left-over tmpfile or destination file might exist from a previous run, and those will be processed along with the other input files.

take a look at

#cleaning up
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
exit 1
fi

thanks for all your input; however, the main problem with this script is optimizing the times it takes to sort the output file, especially when dealing with millions of words. I was wondering if inserting the sort command inside the for loop and sorting the output file after a new file has been added will somehow reduce the time it takes to sort the file.

amauk
June 16th, 2011, 12:00 AM
take a look at

#cleaning up
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
exit 1
fi
Just FYI, your script can exit before the cleanup takes place (If the sort doesn't return 0 exit status, then exit 1)

Mia_tech
June 16th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Just FYI, your script can exit before the cleanup takes place (If the sort doesn't return 0 exit status, then exit 1)

well, in that case is irrelevant whether the tmpfile gets remove or not. It is obvious that script exited with error... now, it will be better to make a more descriptive error. For example, I would have to specify where exited and why. That's very simple to do. But we're deviating from the point of this thread which is to optimize the sorting part of script... is there a way to make it faster?

geirha
June 16th, 2011, 01:49 AM
take a look at

#cleaning up
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
exit 1
fi

Yes, as amauk said, if the script reaches that part of the script, the file will be deleted. If you kill or interrupt the script before that, it will not be deleted.

thanks for all your input; however, the main problem with this script is optimizing the times it takes to sort the output file, especially when dealing with millions of words. I was wondering if inserting the sort command inside the for loop and sorting the output file after a new file has been added will somehow reduce the time it takes to sort the file.

No, you'd still have to sort the whole thing to discover all duplicates. Also, bash is not the best tool to use for parsing large files. grep, awk or sed will be much more efficient as they are designed for that task.

Compare the awk I showed previously with your while read loop:

$ wc -l /usr/share/dict/words
98569 /usr/share/dict/words
$ time awk 'length >= 3 && !seen[$0]++' /usr/share/dict/words >/dev/null

real 0m0.200s
user 0m0.188s
sys 0m0.012s
$ time while read line; do if [ ${#line} -ge 3 ]; then echo "$line" >> /dev/null; fi; done </usr/share/dict/words

real 0m4.663s
user 0m4.108s
sys 0m0.548s

And that's even without trying to remove duplicates in the bash-version.

Your bash code reopens the output file every time it writes a line btw. That's very inefficient, so you can lower the runtime a bit by redirecting the output of the whole loop instead of each echo command.

$ time while read line; do if [ ${#line} -ge 3 ]; then echo "$line"; fi; done </usr/share/dict/words >>/dev/null

real 0m3.307s
user 0m3.144s
sys 0m0.156s