PDA

View Full Version : aspire one

papaearle1
June 15th, 2011, 07:02 AM
i'm a dumb newbie i have acer aspire one i installed ubuntu 11.04 i go to installed software and i have all kinds of programs installed . now i can't figure how to run any of this software can somebody give me a step by step and please explain as i don't know none of the terms used in ubuntu thanks

decoherence
June 15th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hello!

There are generally two ways to run software. Well, three ways I guess now that Ubuntu has introduced another interface.... aaannnyway.

1. If you are running classic gnome, most software should appear under the Applications menu. If you don't see an applications menu then you aren't running classic gnome and you can ignore 1.

2. If you are running Unity (you probably are if you have an aspire one) try pressing the windows key then typing the name of the software. Once the software is running, its icon should appear in the bar to the left the appears when you press the windows key. If you right-click that icon you should get an option to keep it in that bar for 'easier' access. (personally i find typing the name of the program easier but whatever floats your boat!)

3. Some software does not have a graphical interface. Software like this (and any other software for that matter) can be run from the command line. Press the windows key and type 'terminal' and run the Terminal program. In the window that comes up, type the name of the program you installed. Often you can type the first few letters of the program and then press tab and it will fill in the rest (or as much of it as it can.)

hope that helps,

Thras0
June 15th, 2011, 08:42 AM
If you can spare a few minutes consider reading this : https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/index.html