PDA

View Full Version : So I retro'd...

as2000
June 15th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I was fooling around in my garage today when I opened some boxes and found an old Pentium 4 motherboard. I don't know why I became interested but I found myself rooting through other boxes and storage cabinets seeking parts for it. What I finally assembled was a P4 2.8Ghz with 512Mb ram, 20Gb hard drive and other necessaries. So I put the contraption in a old case I dusted off while scavenge hunting this computer together. What else could I have added to make this thing really nostalgic? A old version of Ubuntu! The candidate version? 8.04 Hardy Heron! The install was flawless as usual and to my surprise, I was able to download the updates for it and access the repositories and now have a spanking *new* computer that will become my general purpose garage critter. It was a kind of fun adventure that took place in my garage this afternoon and of course the neighbors took notice of the commotion going on that one came over to inquire of the computer. He was quite surprised that it was Linux and of the incredible expense that I dropped on that computer. He even offer $150.00 for it but I declined...

I can't let go of a good thing! ;)

Dustin2128
June 15th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Aw come on, I wouldn't consider a P4 retro. Well probably because I still use pentium 4 machines on a regular basis, but still, I draw the line at Pentium 2. Good to hear it runs well though, lowest spec'd machine I ever installed (x)ubuntu on sucessfully was a P3 384Mb. Got plenty of old boxes lying around the house though, my problem is a shortage of monitors :(. But if I give up my quad-monitor setup, someone will see a weakness and attack!

Legendary_Bibo
June 15th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Aw come on, I wouldn't consider a P4 retro. Well probably because I still use pentium 4 machines on a regular basis, but still, I draw the line at Pentium 2. Good to hear it runs well though, lowest spec'd machine I ever installed (x)ubuntu on sucessfully was a P3 384Mb. Got plenty of old boxes lying around the house though, my problem is a shortage of monitors :(. But if I give up my quad-monitor setup, someone will see a weakness and attack!

I'll trade you my P4 256mb for your P3 384mb.

Dustin2128
June 15th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I'll trade you my P4 256mb for your P3 384mb.

Huh, really? I've never seen a P4 with less than 512Mb RAM.

Legendary_Bibo
June 15th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Same here, this thing sucks, and I want to turn it into a Minecraft server, but 1gb of RAM is as much as 4gb on a newer computer.

slooksterpsv
June 15th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Really? My sister's ex-husbands computer that they got years ago was an HP Pavillion P4 1.4GHz (performed worse than a P3 1.0GHz) and only had 256MB RAM with XP. =( sad huh?

Bandit
June 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
**scratches head**

I gota i386-DX "that runs" setting up in my dads attic and a couple of working SVGA CRTs. Forgot how much RAM I have in it, but I used to use it as a backup surfing box with Win95 installed on it. I should get it and try to install an old copy of like RedHate 5.2 on it.

as2000
June 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Impressive sir. I tip my hat to that "ancient" platform.

:popcorn:

collisionystm
June 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I ran natty on a Dell latitude D610. 512mb of ram, 40gb HD, and a 1.2ghz Celeron. And it even ran the unity desktop lmao. Pure awesome

apple+
June 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
P4 old?... Not really. Now my P3 1Ghz with 768MB RAM is old running Ubuntu 9.04 :P

Dustin2128
June 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Same here, this thing sucks, and I want to turn it into a Minecraft server, but 1gb of RAM is as much as 4gb on a newer computer.
I run a local minecraft server on top of apache on my web server. 1GB RAM plus a Pentium D is plenty enough for a nice gameplay experience. Never run and play a minecraft server on the same machine though, it's horrible even on my nicely spec'd desktop.

wolfen69
June 15th, 2011, 08:54 PM
$150 for that computer is too much money. I would have taken it. :)

koenn
June 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM
... only had 256MB RAM with XP. =( sad huh?
Those were recommended specs when XP first came out.

as2000
June 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Huh..

I guess I will have to go dig in my shed to see if I can come up with something older. I might have a P3 I think but I know a P2 is out of the question. I know I have a socket 7 board that accepts the old AMD processors, but dont know if I can geek that out. Puppy should work on it right? :-s

sffvba[e0rt
June 15th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Pffft... once I find the sling to start up that old hog in the corner... now where did I put the paraffin?

PS 0 Awesome to hear old hardware being used (and being useful) and not becoming more of a problem to struggling third world countries being swamped by e-waste...