PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ooops Did something wrong with Ubuntu 11.04 clean install? Windowns 7 not booting.

azitizz
June 15th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I recently did a fresh install of ubuntu 11.04 and seemed to have made a mistake with re-partitioning perhaps?

I cant boot into windows anymore. I know all files are still there and intacct as I can access them from Ubuntu, but Something is wrong with the Booting of Windows now.

I get to a screen which gives me system recovery options. When I perform the startup repair it scans for a few secnds and comes up with an error message

"...System volume on disk is corrupt. Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)...error code 0x1f"

I even seems to have access to files on windows from this screen when I try a "Windows Complete system restore" It gives me the option to look on the hard drive or on a disk (I only have a Toshiba windows 7 upgrade disk and it doesnt seem to be helping)

Any suggestions if the right files are contained on my hard drive, or if I can load them off a USB stick?

Could this repair be possible from Ubuntu?

travlemon
June 15th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I recently did a fresh install of ubuntu 11.04 and seemed to have made a mistake with re-partitioning perhaps?

I cant boot into windows anymore. I know all files are still there and intacct as I can access them from Ubuntu, but Something is wrong with the Booting of Windows now.

I get to a screen which gives me system recovery options. When I perform the startup repair it scans for a few secnds and comes up with an error message

"...System volume on disk is corrupt. Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)...error code 0x1f"

I even seems to have access to files on windows from this screen when I try a "Windows Complete system restore" It gives me the option to look on the hard drive or on a disk (I only have a Toshiba windows 7 upgrade disk and it doesnt seem to be helping)

Any suggestions if the right files are contained on my hard drive, or if I can load them off a USB stick?

Could this repair be possible from Ubuntu?

Hello, yes something may have gone wrong when you installed Ubuntu, but it sounds like the fix should be straightforward.

Try booting from your Windows 7 disc and entering the recovery console. In the recovery console, run the command fixmbr

Alternatively, you can run chkdsk /r and that might do the job as well.

That should repair your hard drive's master boot record, and make it point to your Windows installation once again.

coffeecat
June 15th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Try booting from your Windows 7 disc and entering the recovery console. In the recovery console, run the command fixmbr

It sounds as though the OP only has an OEM recovery disc, not a Microsoft disc, in which case it would not have the repair console, unfortunately.

@azitizz, I would advise not running fixmbr. (It wouldn't work in Windows 7 anyway, since that XP command has been deprecated in Windows 7 in favour of 'bootrec /FixMbr'.) If you reinstall the Windows mbr from a Windows repair console, you will overwrite the grub code in the mbr so you would end up being able neither to boot into Ubuntu because you wouldn't get the grub menu, and not being able to boot into Windows because it is currently broken.

A chkdsk from a repair console might be successful where one from within the system (as is happening now) is failing. Or it could be that there is a problem within the Windows boot sector within the C: partition, which is quite a separate matter from the mbr, but I think this is less likely. I was going to post you a link to a site from which you could download a Windows 7 repair CD ISO, but unfortunately it is now showing the message, "Downloads have suspended pending copyright clarification." I'll post the link anyway in case the clarification takes place sooner rather than later:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Do you have access to a functioning Windows 7 installation? At work, or a friend/relative? If so, it is a trivial matter to create a repair CD from within Windows. See here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

Boot up with that and there are several utilities there that might help, but please do not repair the mbr for the reasons given above. It will only make your situation worse.

Last thing. This may not help, but it might give us some useful information. Boot into Ubuntu and go to this site:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Download and run the boot info script according to the instructions there. Post the contentsof the RESULTS.txt file between
and tags for legibility. It may show us something useful about the Windows partition boot sector.

azitizz
June 16th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks Coffeecat. Heres the results of my Boot info script:
Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of
the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
for (,msdos3)/boot/grub on this drive.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 11.04
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: swap
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 2,048 3,074,047 3,072,000 27 Hidden NTFS (Recovery Environment)
/dev/sda2 3,074,048 236,757,547 233,683,500 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda3 * 236,759,040 480,583,679 243,824,640 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 480,583,680 488,396,799 7,813,120 82 Linux swap / Solaris

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/sda1 8C348E52348E3F68 ntfs TOSHIBA SYSTEM VOLUME
/dev/sda2 1E96BDD596BDADA1 ntfs S3A6748D007
/dev/sda3 c649f9e3-8fa4-437f-b28d-d142d96e92e5 ext4
/dev/sda4 6c931919-daad-427f-90c0-7a0665702734 swap

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/sda3 / ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,commit=0)

=========================== sda3/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}

function load_video {
insmod vbe
insmod vga
insmod video_bochs
insmod video_cirrus
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos3)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root c649f9e3-8fa4-437f-b28d-d142d96e92e5
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en_CA
insmod gettext
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
if background_color 44,0,30; then
clear
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
if [ ${recordfail} != 1 ]; then
if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
export linux_gfx_mode
if [ "$linux_gfx_mode" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=c649f9e3-8fa4-437f-b28d-d142d96e92e5 ro quiet splash acpi_osi= vt.handoff=7
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.38-8-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=c649f9e3-8fa4-437f-b28d-d142d96e92e5 ro single
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1E96BDD596BDADA1
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=============================== sda3/etc/fstab: ================================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sda3 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda4 during installation
UUID=6c931919-daad-427f-90c0-7a0665702734 none swap sw 0 0

=================== sda3: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

147.030044556 = 157.872308224 boot/grub/core.img 1
163.245754242 = 175.283793920 boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
115.526630402 = 124.045774848 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic 2
147.028324127 = 157.870460928 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic 1
115.526630402 = 124.045774848 initrd.img 2
147.028324127 = 157.870460928 vmlinuz 1

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdb

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

unlzma: Decoder error

drs305
June 16th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Windows requires the boot flag (*) on it's partition, but Ubuntu does not. Currently the boot flag is on Ubuntu (sda3) but it should be on sda2.

Move the boot flag (Gparted, Disk Utility, etc) to ... I think sda2 but if sda1 is a Windows boot partition it may need to go there. A Windows user will tell you. Your files look ok on quick inspection so moving the boot flag to sda2 (or sda1) might be all you need to get Windows to boot.

Quackers
June 16th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Boot flag to sda2 would be the first thing I would try, as drs305 says :-)

azitizz
June 16th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Thats pretty good news. Any quick tutorials on how to move the boot flag? I can do this within Ubuntu or would it be done from a windows console?
Thanks alot for all your time.
Long live Ubuntu!

drs305
June 16th, 2011, 03:22 AM
If you are familiar with Gparted, you can start it, highlight the partition, then Partition, Manage Flags, and then set the boot flag.

In Disk Utility, highlight the partition, then in the bottom pane select "Edit Partition" and tick "make bootable".

If you don't know how to start them, just type the name in "Dash" (click upper left icon).

azitizz
June 16th, 2011, 03:40 AM
If you are familiar with Gparted, you can start it, highlight the partition, then Partition, Manage Flags, and then set the boot flag.

In Disk Utility, highlight the partition, then in the bottom pane select "Edit Partition" and tick "make bootable".

If you don't know how to start them, just type the name in "Dash" (click upper left icon).

Thanks, Ive never used Gparted before but I just installed it and will give it a try tomorrow. Will post the results.
Thanks again. gnight

coffeecat
June 16th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Windows requires the boot flag (*) on it's partition, but Ubuntu does not. Currently the boot flag is on Ubuntu (sda3) but it should be on sda2.

@drs305, a question. Is this necessarily so when using grub to boot Windows? The boot flag is certainly needed for Windows to boot when using the Windows mbr, but I thought the boot flag was merely there for the Windows mbr code to find the bootable partition. I'd been led to understand that when grub chainloads to the Windows partition boot sector, it passes the boot process directly to the Windows boot files thus bypassing the need for a boot flag, or is this wrong? On one of my machines I have Windows 7 with its usual 100MB boot partition with the boot flag set, but unusually all the Windows boot files are in the C: partition as well. Grub has set up menu entries for both partitions and Windows boots from either. It's an interesting observation.

drs305
June 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM
coffeecat,

Thanks for bringing this up. I think I misunderstood the problem (even with the RESULTS.txt. I was thinking the OP couldn't boot Windows and that the Ubuntu installation didn't succeed. Rereading it I now see that Ubuntu is most likely working and that Windows won't boot from the Grub menu.

You are correct as far as I know. It's what is in the MBR that really matters. If it's Grub, it doesn't care where the boot flag is because it is going to point to a particular partition. If Windows is controlling the boot, it looks for a boot flag (and not per se a partition). I don't know enough details about the inner workings of Windows to know if the boot flag would be needed after the boot files start working, but I wouldn't think so. So I've probably confused the OP since he is trying to get Windows to boot from Grub.

In any case it would not be a bad idea to get the boot flag back where it can do some good, but this probably won't fix a Grub boot of Windows.

coffeecat
June 16th, 2011, 06:05 PM
@drs305, thanks for clarifying that. My guess is that the OP's best hope is to create a Windows 7 repair disc using a friend/relative/co-worker's Windows 7, seeing as the neosmart link has removed the downloads.

azitizz
June 20th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Hi there, so I made a win 7 repair usb drive using an image I found online. However It seems the same problem occurs when i make a startup repair. It comes back with a msg:
"system volume on disk is corrupt" repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)...error code 0x1f".

I seem to have access to files on windows from the repair screen (on usb image or on the hard drive) when I click on "Windows Complete system restore" It gives me the option to look on the hard drive or on a disk (I only have a Toshiba windows 7 upgrade disk and now the iso image usb repair disc)

Is the beeot flag moving option still going to be relevant to my case?
Thanks for any tips one may have

azitizz
June 24th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I think I understand now that the boot flag shuffle wont solve my problem.

Im able to access all windows files from Ubuntu, so why couldnt I simply fetch the relevant files from Ubuntu, then save tehm on a usb stick or a cd?

Thanks

coffeecat
June 24th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Im able to access all windows files from Ubuntu, so why couldnt I simply fetch the relevant files from Ubuntu, then save tehm on a usb stick or a cd?

If chkdsk is repeatedly giving you the same error then I have no further ideas as to how you can repair Windows - sorry. If you can mount the Windows partition in Ubuntu and copy your personal files onto another medium, then that would be a good idea. It's interesting that there must be filesystem corruption yet you can access your files. I guess the corruption must only involve Windows system files.

Quackers
June 24th, 2011, 09:14 AM
If it is a Windows system file problem sfc/scannow could be worth a look. I've never used it but heard about it a while ago.
Good luck with it :-)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Actually this one is more appropriate for you
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

YesWeCan
June 25th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Just a thought. Although Grub ignores the boot flag can the same be said for the Windows System Repair?

Quackers
June 25th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I think the Windows repair functions need the boot flag in the correct place.

YesWeCan
June 25th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I think I understand now that the boot flag shuffle wont solve my problem.
It might make your Windows repair work. In Ubuntu, you can set the boot flag for Windows using
sudo sfdisk /dev/sda -A2
or use Disk Utility.

azitizz
June 26th, 2011, 04:38 AM
It might make your Windows repair work. In Ubuntu, you can set the boot flag for Windows using
sudo sfdisk /dev/sda -A2
or use Disk Utility.

Great Ill be trying that soon. Thanks. For the above commands, will they move the boot flag or is this simply to access the place where I can move it.

I also now have this program, Gparted. will that do the job as well? (Im still an habitual graphical interface user... slowly getting familiar with the terminal...)

Mycurl
June 26th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I have a problem when laoding Ubuntu.....i did'nt have clear monitor to see ubuntu screen.....trying to adjust screen resolution...but still cant get as per normal window screen ....why its happen....my screen very blur when im loading ubuntu....help me:(

Quackers
June 26th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Is this from a live cd? Can you get to the "try Ubuntu" desktop?