PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I reinstall?

hopkinsjeni
June 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Hey, I am having loads of trouble with my ubuntu pc since lending it to a friend, there are all kinds of random files all over the place from failed downloads, etc. Is there anyway to reinstall but not loose my documents file? I really would just like a clean slate with the whole thing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
jeni

mörgæs
June 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM
If you don't know what your friend has made then you hardly know what to keep. I would guess a back up of your files and a fresh install is faster than trying to find out what he did.

hopkinsjeni
June 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM
ok that's super, what is the best way to do a fresh install? I don't have a partition just ubuntu on my pc, and I havent had to reinstall. IF i were to do an upgrade would that do the same thing also? Sorry I haven't had to do anything technical in the years i've had this so I'm a bit lost, lol

mörgæs
June 14th, 2011, 08:55 PM
An upgrade will not reset all the changes your friend has made.

If you want a fresh install, you can download the ISO from the link in my signature.

Here is more:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

hopkinsjeni
June 14th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Thank you for that. I am still slightly stuck on how to do it though. I have a single boot ubuntu system. Do I have to overwrite to a dvd boot to install (if so how) or can I do it from my ubuntu desktop already?

mörgæs
June 14th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Please read the link thoroughly.

hopkinsjeni
June 14th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Sorry I was having a blonde moment, Thank you so much for your help, I'll let you know how it goes. Many Thanks again

hopkinsjeni
June 14th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Thank you so much, all done and working fabulously