PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VLC Media Player as default video player

Thrasonic
June 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone. How can I make VLC Media Player the default player for videos? I know I can make it the default player for all media, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Artificial Intelligence
June 14th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Well, you can use Ubuntu Tweak (under File Type Manager) to set which player for each format.

Thrasonic
June 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks, but where do I find Ubuntu Tweak? Is that something I need to install?

wildmanne39
June 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks, but where do I find Ubuntu Tweak? Is that something I need to install?
Hi, yes you need to install it. Also click on application in the launcher then in dash type preferred and it will open preferred application and you can set it there.

fremantle
June 14th, 2011, 07:47 PM
just right click and set Vlc to open video files by default.

Thrasonic
June 14th, 2011, 07:57 PM
just right click and set Vlc to open video files by default.

When I right-click it nothing happens.

Thrasonic
June 14th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Hi, yes you need to install it. Also click on application in the launcher then in dash type preferred and it will open preferred application and you can set it there.

I opened the software center and searched for ubuntu tweak and then just tweak but it didn't come up.

Artificial Intelligence
June 14th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I opened the software center and searched for ubuntu tweak and then just tweak but it didn't come up.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

wildmanne39
June 14th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Hi, I said to search for preferred applications, it is already installed and you can set vlc to default there. I looked at what I typed after I posted it and I thought maybe I was not clear enough, that is my fault sorry about that.):P

Thrasonic
June 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM
http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

I DL'd it and that worked perfectly. Thanks.