PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything special about Kubuntu?

Dragonbite
June 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM
To further clarify my question:

Ubuntu has some features that are only really accessible from Ubuntu such as Unity, UbuntuOne and the Software Store.

I know Kubuntu is supposed to be getting a Software Store look-alike, maybe with 11.10 but outside of that is there much that makes Kubuntu different than other distributions running KDE?

Right now I am running Fedora 14 with KDE and as far as I can tell there isn't anything missing there that is in Kubuntu, unlike the Gnome version of Fedora vs the stock Ubuntu.

And I don't mean things like kDropbox being available for Kubuntu and not for Fedora KDE either. I mean *buntu specific vs Fedora, openSUSE, Mint(?), (etc...) with KDE. I also don't mean overall *buntu vs Fedora vs openSUSE etc.. because Fedora sees my wireless and video out of the box, nobody else does.

Thanks.

el_koraco
June 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM
There's pulseaudio, which openSUSE doesn't have (dunno about Fedora). But not a whole lot of people would call that a plus :D

Dragonbite
June 14th, 2011, 02:22 PM
There's pulseaudio, which openSUSE doesn't have (dunno about Fedora). But not a whole lot of people would call that a plus :D

I will keep that in mind, because I get the message in Fedora about not having something or other for sound and reverting to either "0" or blank. I still get sound, so I don't know what's going on with it.

It would be awesome if Kubuntu was brought up-to-speed with UbuntuOne and the Software Store at least!

TBABill
June 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Kubuntu also doesn't have Synaptic installed by default, but rather uses kpackagexxxx (not sure the exact name). But, you still do get additional drivers, which is not in Fedora. And can Fedora use Chromium now? I haven't used Fedora for quite some time now so I'm not sure of that one.

The Kubuntu implementation is nice, but fairly vanilla from what I can see. I'm using it daily and I could easily switch to another KDE distro and not be sure what I'm using until I opened the menus and terminal.

I don't think you're missing much by not having Kubuntu but using another KDE distro unless you need the assistance of some automation. And you can still install Ubuntu Software Center if you want it, as well as Synaptic, Firefox, Chromium, etc.

el_koraco
June 14th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I don't think you're missing much by not having Kubuntu but using another KDE distro unless you need the assistance of some automation.

The only thing, really, is that Kubuntu is the first Debian based distro to come out with the new KDE builds. Plus, you can get the latest stable KDE releases via ppa, which is pretty handy.

Dragonbite
June 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I guess Software Center can be installed post-install, and even UbuntuOne but they don't "fit in", or feel native. UbuntuOne requires Nautilus.

I got around that with KDE by installing the Dropbox server installation. I don't get the handy status indicator icons or right-click options but it synchronizes everything exactly the same as on other systems.

Both Fedora and Kubuntu include kPackageKit for installing software (which I am not very fond of either way). OpenSUSE uses Yast and I guess can be an example of a feature in KDE (even though Yast runs in all desktop environments and even the command line -- great for headless servers that sets openSUSE's version separate from the other distributions.

So Kubuntu doesn't really have any?

Dragonbite
June 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM
The only thing, really, is that Kubuntu is the first Debian based distro to come out with the new KDE builds. Plus, you can get the latest stable KDE releases via ppa, which is pretty handy.

Ok, PPAs... that's one! \\:D/

DZ*
June 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Ok, PPAs... that's one! \\:D/

But Fedora gets those KDE version upgrades form central repos pretty much at the same time... Honestly, I often forget which one I am running, KDE Fedora or KDE Ubuntu.

There is right-click on Desktop to launch Konsole in Fedora which is missing in Kubuntu. That's about the only difference.

Dragonbite
June 14th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I was more thinking 3rd party applications pre-packaged. More are packaged for Ubuntu on average, than Fedora (though not by much) regarding desktop applications.

I don't remember which one off-hand but I do remember seeing that there was a Qt/KDE application that was available for openSUSE, there was a PPA for 'buntu, and I could not find any package for Fedora.

OpenSUSE usually doesn't have a link right on the site but their OBS (openSUSE Build Service) usually contains any programs I am looking for.

Plus they just added the "Tumbleweed" repository which is supposed to get updated with new versions so you do not have to wait for the next release (like when Firefox 5 comes out).

Unfortunately openSUSE and I have just not quite "clicked".. it doesn't like my machines and I still haven't learned the "openSUSE" way (I think I've figured out the Fedora and Ubuntu "way").

el_koraco
June 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Plus they just added the "Tumbleweed" repository which is supposed to get updated with new versions so you do not have to wait for the next release (like when Firefox 5 comes out).

It's more than that. They already have the Mozilla repo, as well as ATI, Nvidia repos and so on, which get updated constantly. Tumbleweeds is a repo that turns your openSUSE 11.4 and so on into openSUSE Tumbleweeds, a rolling release distro with stable packages. None of the other corporate sponsored distros have that.

swoll1980
June 14th, 2011, 07:57 PM
All the software that makes Ubuntu special can be installed in Kubuntu as well, so you could say that all the things that make Ubuntu special, make Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu special as well.

Dragonbite
June 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
All the software that makes Ubuntu special can be installed in Kubuntu as well, so you could say that all the things that make Ubuntu special, make Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu special as well.

Which outside the Software Center, Unity and UbuntuOne, isn't much.

ilovelinux33467
June 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Actually openSUSE 11.4 does have PulseAudio. But it can be easily disabled in YaST.

CraigPaleo
June 14th, 2011, 10:44 PM
So far, only Kubuntu has the Window Menubar widget, which is a global menu. It won't compile on other distros. Though it's not for me, it could be a plus for those who like global menus.

el_koraco
June 14th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Actually openSUSE 11.4 does have PulseAudio. But it can be easily disabled in YaST.

I stand corrected. A friend of mine has 11.4, and he said he didn't have PA. although, he only found out he had Phonon when I told him, so... :D

Dragonbite
June 15th, 2011, 01:44 AM
So far, only Kubuntu has the Window Menubar widget, which is a global menu. It won't compile on other distros. Though it's not for me, it could be a plus for those who like global menus.

Color me dumb, but what is the "global menu"? Is that the menu bar along the top where the "File","Edit",etc. shows up for whatever application is current?

christoph411
June 15th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Color me dumb, but what is the "global menu"? Is that the menu bar along the top where the "File","Edit",etc. shows up for whatever application is current?

Yup! :)

FlameReaper
June 15th, 2011, 04:07 AM

I have it, and it's going pretty strong.

Although it has problems with GTK applications that has been minimized to the panel, trying to open up a menu = crashes the whole Plasma desktop :shock:

Also, some applications took a minimize >> restore/maximize to get the menus appearing on the panel :confused:

Dragonbite
June 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I remember that Global Menu being in KDE 3 versions! I couldn't find it in KDE 4 when it first came out, so I guess it has made it back into KDE.

Another plus I just remembered for openSUSE KDE is that the menu found in KDE 4 was actually available in openSUSE's KDE 3, before 4 came out!

CraigPaleo
June 15th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I remember that Global Menu being in KDE 3 versions! I couldn't find it in KDE 4 when it first came out, so I guess it has made it back into KDE.

No, you asked about anything special in Kubuntu. The global menu is one. I've tried it; I thought it worked well but it's just not for me. :)

sffvba[e0rt
June 16th, 2011, 12:27 AM
For me the main reason to use Kubuntu over any other distro that is strong in KDE is the fact that you still have the same community that makes life easier, not to mention the ease of use and familiarity that Ubuntu brings (PPA's apt-get, restricted-extras etc.) Something new that I have appreciated is how the latest KDE (4.6.3) and even the latest Amarok was available and the news made available on kubuntu.org... big plus one for that!

NightwishFan
June 16th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Kubuntu always had a 'very pure kde' policy. Making the software near to upstream and also keeping non kde programs to a minimal. I have found it to be a fantastic distro and really look down on folks that say it isn't.