PDA

View Full Version : What Certifications Do You Have?

Bandit
June 14th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Just curious what all certifications everyone here has and what you think of them.

I got mine listed at the bottom, I also got the A+ this morning. Now to study for the Linux+ gonna take in July.. :-)

Cheers,
Joe

(BTW.. Many Companies prohibit the user who took the certifications from divulging to much information about the exams. So please dont ask users for specific questions and answers from the test. But general guidance is OK.)

MasterNetra
June 14th, 2011, 03:21 AM
None. really just my Associates in Applied Science degree (Visual communications)

3Miro
June 14th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering is much better than any certificate.

Bandit
June 14th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering is much better than any certificate.

Not always so. I see many cases now that actually ask for a Bachelors in Computer Science or a Associates in a IT field and CCNA.

But then again I have also seen recently a hospital in Memphis wanting Bachelors in Computer Science, CCNA or Network+ and 5 years experience. Sad part it was just for general Network Tech :-(

But if you just going for your Associate like I am just about to finish up "A.A.S. in Web and Computer Programming", best bet is to stack on the Certs the best you can. Actually except for those crazy few that want crazy BS requirements. Most want an Associate and Certifications. The Degree just to prove you can finish something you started and the Certification that proves you can do what you say you can do.
IMHO thats how it should be because there is no way someone with a BS in Computers can know as much or supposed to know as much as someone with one of the harder certifications such as the Security+. Its just not what they teach in Computer Science.

Just food for thought, one of my instructors looked up the average pay for jobs that require Network+, Linux+ and Security+ here in the USA and Network+ was around 40k, Linux was around 72k and Security payed around 75k per year.

PhillyPhil
June 14th, 2011, 06:24 AM
IMHO thats how it should be because there is no way someone with a BS in Computers can know as much or supposed to know as much as someone with one of the harder certifications such as the Security+. Its just not what they teach in Computer Science.

That depends. Do you have a CS degree?

EDIT: Assuming that the practice test I looked at(http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=Comptia-Security-Practice-Exam-1-1) is correct, I would have to say you are probably wrong. There may be exceptions of course, but any standard security course in a BS in computing would cover that and more.

Lucradia
June 14th, 2011, 06:25 AM
None, at all.

handy
June 14th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I have my intermediate star.

Nyromith
June 14th, 2011, 08:20 AM

Big -1. Computer Science is a total ******** for people who like networks for example (and IT in general), but I have to learn this crap only because it gives you an advantage on the market (and not by applied knowledge.

I have an MCSE +S on WS2003. If only I hadn't have to spend so much time on CS I could learn much more networking, because I like this subject a lot and this is the profession I want to have.

ve4cib
June 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Big -1. Computer Science is a total ******** for people who like networks for example

That really depends on the exact profession you have in mind, and the university you go to/professors who teach you.

There is a lot of really cool research going on in networking fields right now. Especially in wireless networks. Some universities are all over that, and if that's what you're really keen on leaning about volunteer your services as an undergraduate research assistant in a networks lab. You will learn more about the specific area that interests you than you would in most courses, and you'll be participating in cutting-edge research in the field.

But if you're not interested in the research angle then a BSc or BCS is probably less practical. If the career you're aiming for is more along the maintenance and admin route taking some kind of college network admin certificate course, or a profesional certification might look better on the resume.

The university vs college debate is huge when it comes to computers. Universities tend to focus more on the science, theory, and research angles, whereas colleges are more hands-on and market-oriented. Both lead to lots of jobs, and there's a large intersection between them. But there are definitely some careers where an undergraduate degree is more useful than a cert. and other careers where the opposite is true.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I'm a university guy. Got a BCS Hon a few years ago, and I'm back at school doing a master's in CS/robotics. I've never had any interest in getting any professional certifications. The corporate code-monkey and server admin worlds don't interest me much.

Bandit
June 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
But if you're not interested in the research angle then a BSc or BCS is probably less practical. If the career you're aiming for is more along the maintenance and admin route taking some kind of college network admin certificate course, or a profesional certification might look better on the resume.

You made a very good point here. Even as much as I would love to have a Bachelors or even a Doctors in Computer Science, if they look at your resume and think your to "overly qualified" they will not heir you just the same as the person who doesnt have a degree or any certs. I have actually known people recently that were leaving off their Bachelors degree information on their resumes just trying to get jobs. But if someone is going into R&D then BS,MS or Phd would be a better option.

Although except for a few exceptions, the market at least here in the US seems more geared toward people with Associates and Certifications. Then any experience you have is a huge plus. There are very few jobs wanting or requiring 4 year degrees unless your high level management. But they also normally will pay for your to continue your education while working to work towards a 4 year degree after a few years if they want your to move up. That but if your happy with your position, an Associates and Certs is all they want and all you need. Most companies here look at Certs the same as 2 year degrees, even more so now since many certs like the CompTIA ones are no longer valid forever after this past year or two. Like my bud Rod in town that runs a PC shop, he got his A+ from CompTIA 10 years ago and its valid indefently, but mine from CompTIA since last years rule changes is only valid for 3 years. So every 3 years I have to go and retake and pass the test(s). There for I am forced to stay more up-to-day per se on IT stuff. And thats something companies are now also starting to look at.

Nyromith
June 14th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Agree with ve4cib. Can't say the math and computer theory I study isn't interesting at all, it is even fun sometimes, but it can be said about any other subject. There are people like me, who like to approach to the subject in reversed order - first learn the practice, and then, if you have time and willing, learn how stuff work. Learning naked theory in the beginning, when you don't know how, and if at all, to apply it, can be frustrating.

For example, hated differentials in mathematics and couldn't understand it, but when I learned it through physics, I immediately understood this subject and learned to like it. Same with encryption.

I wish there would be a collage that teaches things this way.

s.fox
June 14th, 2011, 01:51 PM
My computing qualification - BSc (Hons)

collisionystm
June 14th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Here are my Certs :P

Mitel 3300 VOIP

Mitel Standard Linux

Redbox Voice Recorders

NICE Call focus III

NICE Logger

NICE ANI/ALI

NICE Vision

iRecord

3Miro
June 14th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I guess I should have explained my position a bit better:

Certificate + Degree > Just Degree > Just Certificate > Nothing.

Certificates can get you a job, maybe more easily than a degree, but a certificate will not let you keep the job. If you only learn enough to get the things done, then as soon as the technology changes, you are out on the street (or you have to go for another certificate). If you get a broader more theoretical knowledge, then you can much more easily learn the practical part. The fundamental theory behind general computer operations changes very slowly if at all.

There are plenty of jobs that require a specific certificate and there are plenty of jobs that require degrees only. If you have the degree, getting the certificate is much easier than going the other way around.

Bandit
June 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Certificates can get you a job, maybe more easily than a degree, but a certificate will not let you keep the job. If you only learn enough to get the things done, then as soon as the technology changes, you are out on the street (or you have to go for another certificate). If you get a broader more theoretical knowledge, then you can much more easily learn the practical part. The fundamental theory behind general computer operations changes very slowly if at all.

There are plenty of jobs that require a specific certificate and there are plenty of jobs that require degrees only. If you have the degree, getting the certificate is much easier than going the other way around.

Ahh yea.. I agree, I just started elaborating to much.. hehe :-)

collisionystm
June 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM

I don't think it matters whether you have a degree or a certificate. Experience out-weighs all factors.

Barrucadu
June 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM
At the moment none, however I am in the first year of an MEng in Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence.

pookiebear
June 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM

Unless yours is from 20 years ago like mine. it is completely irrelevant now. Windows was not even a brand name when I graduated with a BS in compsci.
Also was close to getting a minor in Math and Physics because of the requirements of the CompSci program at the time. Plus I took physics classes as my electives too.

I have a MCSE 2003, MCITP
CCNA
CCA (citrix)
net+
server+
HP warranty certified for servers, workstation, thin clients and printers.
Plus some old novell certs and brainbench certs.

20 years in the IT field. To me, certs were only to justify a pay raise to the accounting dept so they didn't complain.

Did any of it matter while job hunting for me? NOPE. I got all 3 of my jobs because I knew people either at the job or that were friends with the owner.

PaulW2U
June 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
No IT related qualifications at all. Some of us were educated before PCs even existed. :(

Nyromith
June 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM

More important: Experience > All

When you have good experience and recommendations you will outweigh every noob with any degree and certification combination. Learned it on my skin (from the negative side :().

3Miro
June 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Experience and a name in the field is great, however, those are not things that you can just got out there and get.

I don't think experience factors in the context of the thread.

Bandit
June 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Experience and a name in the field is great, however, those are not things that you can just got out there and get.

I don't think experience factors in the context of the thread.

Well some companies use education or certifications as replacement for experience because they know not everyone gets a job before getting a degree. So IMHO its a valid point.