PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu minimal install network configuration

eb3ha4el
June 14th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Hi

I'm trying to install minimal ubuntu and having troubles in network configuration.
It seems automatic configuration using DHCP never works.
does anyone know why it can't configure by itself?
I'm installing in laptop which uses wlan, password protected.
i'd appreciate greatly if anyone let me know how to configure them manually.

It firstly asks me for input IP address. but how do I know what my IP address is?

mörgæs
June 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
You need to install having wired internet access. When that works, we can focus on the wlan.

avnd
September 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hi!

I'm facing the same issue! I want to install Ubuntu using Ubuntu Minimal CD. My situation is the following.

I live in India and my 'broadband' is such that I connect to the internet using a username and password. I also have a wireless router to which I can connect the modem and access the internet wireless.

In the Ubuntu Minimal Install,

1. When I try to connect through the ethernet (eth0), it asks if I use a HTTP Proxy or something and gives me a syntax in which there are options to enter a username, password and a port. I know the username and password, but I have no idea about the port. Referring through other pages, I tried 1080 and 8080 and neither worked.
I also tried the option that maybe my network setting is such that I don't use a HTTP Proxy. But that also didn't work. (The error message was that, I could have a wrong network setting or there was a error with my server. The server address I used was 'in.archive.ubuntu.com')

2. When I try to connect through my wireless interface, (I temporarily disabled the WPA security I had) I get the same error message saying my network was faulty or my server was faulty.
(The install interface detected the wireless interface wlan0, so I thought there was no issue with the driver).

It would be great if someone could offer and explanation.

Thanks!

avnd
September 10th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Bump