PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Three downloads - three installation failuers - why?!

zozza
June 13th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hello,

I am having real trouble installing Ubuntu. I downloaded 10.04 LTS from ubuntu.com and checked the MD5 before burning to a CD. I rebooted and the computer loaded from the CD but after a few minutes I got the following error:

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs dailed: Input/output error
Can not mount /dev/loop0/ (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

This appears to be a common error so I looked at some of the threads. I then tried burning the same file on to a CD-RW whereas the first CD was a CD-R. Same error message.

I then downloaded 11.04 and checked the MD5 and burned it to a CD-R. Same error message.

In each case I tried on two computers.

Why is this happening? How can I actually install Ubuntu? Is there some well-known issue with downloads from ubuntu.com? What should I do? Three downloads (all with correct MD5 hashes) but none will load.

Thanks!

coffeecat
June 13th, 2011, 11:25 PM
If the md5sums check out then the ISOs are OK. Are you burning at a low speed? It's recommended to burn at low speed to lessen the risk of write errors. I usually choose x4.

The other thing you need to do is a disc integrity check. As soon as the CD starts booting, you'll see a purple screen with two small icons at the bottom. Tap the spacebar, select your language and you'll see the old-style text menu. A disc integrity check is about 3rd on the list. Try that.