PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Failed fetch on update.

diablofatt
June 13th, 2011, 08:19 PM
So when I go to update, I get:

W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/danielgtaylor/ppa/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

The synaptic opens up (asks for admin pw) and does nothing. Any idea's on how I can fix this? I was only able to find an article in Spanish (Or Italian.. I dunno) and I like to try and keep on my "A" game with the updates. I assumed it was a server issue on their end. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to understand this better.

Toz
June 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Can you post back the contents of the file /etc/apt/sources.list?

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 14th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I checked the link for the PPA in your post, and found this, "The requested URL /danielgtaylor/ppa/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages was not found on this server."

You show that you are using 11.04 (Natty). If that is the case then try used an editor (vi, gedit, etc.) to remove the Jaunty reference from your sources.list file located at /etc/apt/sources.list. You could also edit the lines in the sources.list file to point to the correct Natty PPA if there is one.

If you are not using Natty (11.04) then you need to know that Jaunty (9.04) has not been supported since October 2010. I would suggest that you install a newer release of Ubuntu that is supported (supported releases are listed at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases). For example, Lucid (10.04) is an Long-Term-Support release and will be supported until April 2013. Before you install a new release or upgrade a current release at minimum backup you /home directory.

diablofatt
June 17th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Old_Gray_Wolf nailed it. Although I was unable to edit the file. (Root doesn't like me)
su -l is the command right? (Also if anyone can guide me to a better understanding of root in Ubuntu. I'd be in your debt.)

I solved the problem by going to /etc/apt/sources.list and right clicked it and selected Open with.. 'Software Sources' clicked the 'Other Software' tab and deselected the bottom two which were my two Jaunty PPA's.

Thank you both for your time. SOLVED!