PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] format and USB like windows

esbrinartot
June 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hi. Can anyone tell me the best solution to format an usb memory stick? Can be done as Windows? Ubuntu ways I don't like because of next reasons:
1- Gparted is fine but is extremely dangerous. Somehow you could format partitions from your hard disk.
2- Gnome format is definetely what I'm looking for. But I installed in 2 different computers, 1 of them with 32 bits and the other 64. Both computers with ubuntu 11.04. The problem is gnome format doesn't start in any of the computers. Just click the icon and the software doesn't start.
3- typing commands in a terminal.... Commands are not so friendly for me.
4- Do it through Create USB startup disk doesn't convince me.
5- If I click on the right button to the icon that appears in the desktop and chose format: I Don't like either because you can't format in FAT32.

Can anyone give a solution that convinces me?
Or can anyone let me know how to Fix gnome format?

thks in advance

ppv
June 13th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Your first option does work similar to Windows. If you choose the proper device then it will format that device.

And, how did you install Gnome format. From the package listed on its website?

Also create startup usb disk isn't a tool for formatting an USB drive.

esbrinartot
June 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Thks to reply. You are right. Similar different. In windows is more difficult to commit a mistake and format thehard disk.
I've already installed gnome format from synaptic and form ubuntu center software. The problem is once installed the software doesn't work.
Option 5 of my first message works and I have rectify my comment. Yuo you click format and chose FAT the real format is FAT32. So this way to proceed is similar to windows. Anyway I would like to hear your comments solve the problem with gnome format. If anyone reply I will close this topic in the forum