PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stuck compiling kernel using localmodconfig ...

Bucky Ball
June 13th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm about to compile a custom kernel using localmodconfig using the guide on this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile) page. Everything's gone well but now I'm stuck. Can anyone work out what the syntax of the part in bold below is supposed to be? I have tried all combinations, e.g. linux-source-2.6.35-Myimage, and a few other permutations. Nothing seems to work. Probably the ambiguity of the instructions or my ignorance or both:

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-some-string-here kernel-image kernel-headersAnd anyone got any ideas how I might 'turn OFF "Compile the kernel with debug info"'?

... Ubuntu kernels build with debugging information on, which makes the resulting kernel modules (*.ko files) much larger than they would otherwise be. To turn this off, go into the config's "Kernel hacking"<!-- ; then, under "Kernel debugging", --> and turn OFF "Compile the kernel with debug info".
I've hit a few brick walls on the way but they turned out to be wet cardboard. This one's a little more solid. Any clues much appreciated.

* UPDATE: Figured the first part out: '--append-to-version=-some-string-here' ... should be pretty much what it says. I entered '--append-to-version=MyImage' and it worked! Compiling now. But couldn't work out the second part to switch off debugging.

Bucky Ball
June 13th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Well, I have successfully compiled, installed, booted and am posting from the custom kernel. I didn't change anything in 'menuconfig' on the way but used the 'loadmodconfig' option for the compile which is supposed to install only the modules your system is using and strip the rest (it checks 'lsmod'). All good.

So, I've answered my first question, but not the second; half solved:

... Ubuntu kernels build with debugging information on, which makes the resulting kernel modules (*.ko files) much larger than they would otherwise be. To turn this off, go into the config's "Kernel hacking"<!-- ; then, under "Kernel debugging", --> and turn OFF "Compile the kernel with debug info". Any idea on how to switch it off? I don't understand the bit in bold.

I am going to do a minimal install, add the few apps I need and use for study and interneting, then compile a custom kernel using 'localmodconfig'. Why? Because I want to and for once I have the time! The minimal install I did a couple of days ago is giving me 12 seconds to the login screen. Screamin' along. Going to try Arch next. ;)

Lovin' the linux ...

PS: Tells me I have 399 modules installed but seems about the same time boot as the regular install. I'll keep tweaking and experimenting ...